PDA

View Full Version : Shopfox Molder question

John Prexta
02-08-2014, 8:35 AM
Hello all,
I was out in the shop last night making some 3.25 inch wide moulding with my 1812 Shop fox planer/moulder. It was going pretty good the night before when I was running cherry. I did note that the 1/8 hp feed motor (which is controlled by a variable speed dial) was acting up.

Then last night when I was making hickory moulding - the feed motor just wouldn't run at all. It's a chain drive, I checked all that. I checked and made sure nothing was binding it up.

Today I'm going to have a friend come over with some electrical tools to make sure at least that power is getting to this little 1/8th hp motor.

If power is going to it, can it be safe to assume the little motor is toast?
Thanks
JP

Peter Quinn
02-08-2014, 9:29 AM
Is there a reset on the control box, or in it? Could be a toasted motor, but its not usually that easy to kill a DC motor. Mine is a DC motor with a little transformer. Could be the speed dial is fried and breaking the circuit, more likely scenario IME than the motor, though nothing is impossible. So have him check the speed dial/switch and all the connections in line before the motor. Could be a loose connection anywhere in the circuit. He could pull the motor assembly and see if it powers with another power source too.

Randy Henry
02-08-2014, 10:23 AM
I have a Woodmaster sander with the dc feed motor. There is a fuse on the bottom side of the switch. Most dc motors will have a fuse to protect the motor.

John Prexta
02-08-2014, 9:00 PM
I have a Woodmaster sander with the dc feed motor. There is a fuse on the bottom side of the switch. Most dc motors will have a fuse to protect the motor.
Thank you Randy, you were correct. I replaced the fuse and all is fine now.
JP