PDA

View Full Version : 7" jointer...................harbor freight?

Anthony Diodati
02-08-2014, 8:09 AM
Guess it would be a harbor freight 7" jointer. Don't think anyone else made one.
I was looking for a 8" but saw this on craigs list, price is right.
I don't know though, maybe better to hold out for a 8"
Anyone have the 7" jointer?
How do you like it? I don't think HF makes one any more.

Craig Hoehn
02-08-2014, 8:45 AM
If its the same price as the scrap metal its made out of then it might be worth a try. If not I would say don't waste your time because good luck finding parts.

Anthony Diodati
02-08-2014, 9:02 AM
he wants a buck and a quarter. also about 100 miles 1 way though..................................

scott spencer
02-08-2014, 9:11 AM
The comments I've read from owners is mainly positive. Price is fair....not sure it's worth a 200 mile round trip in addition though.

david brum
02-08-2014, 9:38 AM
If it's the HF version, it is a plain Jane Taiwanese jointer. It would probably do fine with some tuning and new blades. The biggest drawback IMO, and the main reason to hold out for an 8" version is the 48" bed length. A new 8" jointer will be closer to 80" and will be easier to get straight cuts with longer stock. If you're doing all smaller stock, it may not be an issue.

Troy Turner
02-08-2014, 10:01 AM
If it is HF's version, can you still get knives? I know I had one of their wet saws. Did what I wanted it to and more. Problem was, I was in the middle of a project and needed a new blade. They're the only ones I know that have a 1" arbor. So I bought a new one cause it's not the first time that had happened. This way I can go to any store and get a blade vs. having to drive 45 miles to HF. Just something to think about.

John McClanahan
02-08-2014, 10:09 AM
Replacement knives would be my concern, too.

John

Anthony Diodati
02-08-2014, 10:09 AM
Oh, it only 48" bed length? Knives may be a problem.
I'll probably let it go.
Thanks,
No, I don't think HF has the blades any more.
I think HF used to make an 8" jointer, and it was decent.
But of course they heard people liked it, and did away with it. ............LOL

Justin Jump
02-08-2014, 2:34 PM
just my two cents.....

if you're looking for something like that, just hop over to Direct Tools in Washington PA, with the 20-30% sale, you can grab the Ridgid jointer fairly cheap, 3 year warranty, blades are abundant.

John TenEyck
02-08-2014, 3:37 PM
I have a friend who has one and it seems to do exactly what a jointer is supposed to do. 48" bed length seems huge compared to my Inca, yet I have no trouble jointing a straight edge with it on long stock, so that wouldn't put me off. It's technique more than machine. Aftermarket knives are available for almost any machine, though my Inca is 30 years old and I'm still using the two sets of knives that came with it and it has jointed and planed thousands of BF of lumber. For $125 and 6 or 7 gallons of gas you can hardly go wrong. The only thing wrong with it is it has no bragging rights nor snob appeal.

John

Don Jarvie
02-08-2014, 4:18 PM
It's probably a 6 inch. HF is one of generic 6 inch jointers made by Reliant and the others. It's also similar to the low end Grizzly where you can get parts. Any standard 6 inch knives will work.

If you are on a budget then 125 is hard to pass up. If you can spend 300 you can probably find a better 6 inch one like a Jet. An 8 inch is a better option but you'll need to spend 600 plus.

Rich Engelhardt
02-08-2014, 8:54 PM
Harbor Freight did make an actual 7" jointer at one time within the last ~ 10 years.
I got into woodworking close to my join date in 2007 and clearly remember seeing a 7" jointer on the Harbor Freight site.

John TenEyck
02-08-2014, 9:19 PM
Yes, my friends is 7" wide. Strange, but true.

John

Andy Pratt
02-09-2014, 2:20 AM
If your jointer does not hold its settings it will drive you nuts. I own some harbor freight tools but I would never consider buying a jointer from them. I think you would only be in for frustration with that machine. A jointer has to be set up perfect to work right, and small deviations will make you think your technique is poor and/or you won't be able to figure out why things aren't working right.

Just keep waiting and watching craigslist, you'll get a good brand soon enough and then you can either keep it forever or at least when you upgrade your resale value will probably still be close to what you paid for it used.

Anthony Diodati
02-09-2014, 1:12 PM
just my two cents.....

if you're looking for something like that, just hop over to Direct Tools in Washington PA, with the 20-30% sale, you can grab the Ridgid jointer fairly cheap, 3 year warranty, blades are abundant.
just a 6" though? Right, I have a short bed Delta 6" would really like an 8 or a 10"