PDA

View Full Version : Grinder's Other Spindle

Tom Blank
02-08-2014, 12:51 AM
I just added a slow speed 8" bench grinder to my arsenal and have read pages and pages of posts on wheels, grits, colors, etc. After you put your favorite white or blue 46, 60, or 80 grit wheel on one end, what have you found the most useful on the other spindle of the grinder? Wire wheel, buffing wheel, another grinding wheel?

My main use for this grinder will be recutting primary bevels on A2 chisels and plane blades. I do secondary bevels with stones. Also repairing nicked corners when I drop a chisel - hope that doesn't happen too often. Do they ever land butt first?

TB

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
02-08-2014, 10:58 AM
I'd be tempted to put a narrow wheel on there, something you could profile to help grind molding plane irons or other little concave-shaped things.

Tony Zaffuto
02-08-2014, 11:50 AM
I got a slow speed grinder a number of years ago, when Woodcraft offered a special package on the 8" slow speed, with a decent wheel plus the Oneway lathe tool sharpening package. So, one side of my grinder is set-up for lathe tools, using the Oneway package and the other side is set up with a Norton 3X (64 grit IIRC) with a Lee Valley tool rest. Very handy set-up!

Winton Applegate
02-08-2014, 10:32 PM
If this is your only bench grinder I would say a wire wheel sure comes in handy.
If you already have that on another grinder then I would go with the recommendations given here by the other guys.
Obviously you can have several wheels to put on as you see the need.