PDA

View Full Version : Scroll saw blades

Rob Price
02-07-2014, 7:06 PM
My 10yr old son is getting interested in joining me in the shop. We started working on simple animal puzzles today. We cut the outsides on the bandsaw, but then did the puzzle sections on the scroll saw. Right now I just have the cheapo skil multi pack of blades. I haven't used the scroll saw in years since I got the bandsaw, but the kerf is so much thinner it's better for the interior cuts.

Any blade recommendations? We're using 1/2 stock if that matters. Thanks.

Andrew Kertesz
02-07-2014, 7:48 PM
Flying Dutchman makes a good blade. Go to scrollsawer.com or http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm Mike offers a free trial pack of 5 blades I think.

Larry Frank
02-07-2014, 8:16 PM
Mikes Workshop out of South Dakota is the greatest at supplying blades and is really well known in the scroll saw community. He has great service and is easy to work with.

I would try the Polar blades as they cut easily. If you want to reduce the fuzzies on the bottom side of the pieces you can try the scroll saw reverse blades.

If you are new to the scroll saw, there is a lot of little tricks for using the blades. One that I learned is that I used blades two long and they get dull.

Scroll Saw Working and Crafts has a lot of good info.

Bryan Cramer
02-07-2014, 9:26 PM
+1 for Mikes Workshop the Flying Dutchman blades work really well. The polar blades cut fast and last long, but the scroll reverse cut the cleanest overall including no fuzzines or tear out on the bottom. These blades cut so well the edges are ready for finish right off the saw with no sanding. For puzzles I'd recommend a #5 blade size. Mike also sells a blade made for puzzle cutting in only a #5 size. I have never tried them though. Also do some reasearch on proper cutting techniques and practice, practice, practice!

Lori Kleinberg
02-07-2014, 9:58 PM
I also using Flying Dutchman blades from Mike's Workshop. Great source for information on which blades to use for
what and fast shipping.

Rob Price
02-08-2014, 2:27 AM
Seems to be a consensus. I don't know how much scroll saw work I'll do myself, I'm in my 'lathe stage' right now, but the kid wanted to try something, this seemed like a good place to start, something we can learn/make together. Thanks for all the input..

johnny means
02-08-2014, 9:25 AM
I don't have any particular brand to recommended, but I do prefer spiral blades. The ability to cut in any direction simplifies things and allows greater design flexibility. Also, there more forgiving of less than perfect technique.

Rob Price
02-11-2014, 8:20 PM
I ordered a smattering of different blades to try out. I did get some spirals, but I'm worried the kerf will be too thick. Thanks again.

Larry Frank
02-11-2014, 8:25 PM
I make some simple animal puzzles for my grand daughter and have used various types of blades. I agree that the spiral blade will make a thick kerf and the puzzle pieces will be too loose. I generally pick a blade for these puzzles that gives me the right type of kerf for the wood I am cutting. I have found that a #5 or #7 Polar or Scroll Reverse blade works well for me.