PDA

View Full Version : Couple Flag Cases

Russ Filtz
06-15-2005, 11:02 PM
I made these flag cases for my Mom. They are for her first husband (died young, not in the war though) and my Dad. They were both WWII vets. My dad was a pilot trainer in Idaho, and supposedly trained Jimmy Stewart to fly! The cherry (my favorite wood) is for my Dad and the walnut for her first. Another neat thing is the walnut flag is a 48 star one. My Dad's been gone almost 20-yrs now, so condolences aren't needed. Took this long to get the nerve to make these with my feeble woodworking skills!

I used a standard triangle case design, which I had to modify for the larger bases so I could place the plaques on front where I wanted. Made a few mistakes along the way due mainly to the larger base, but was able to repair OK. I didn't have access to the flags for measurements, so they are oversized a bit. You can see that I could shave almost 1/2-1" off the sides. The walnut flag is also folded poorly and will need re-done.

I added the spline detail on top as I didn't think glue alone was strong enough on the miter. Finish is pure tung/MO, many coats with "wet" sanding between. Finished with a few coats of thinned poly, again wet sanded with MO up to 1000-1500 grit. VERY smooth finish, turned out nice.

Spent a lot of time on them, mostly I think because I didn't want to finish them. Too many good memories while meditating on the next task.

Joseph O'Leary
06-15-2005, 11:27 PM
Very nice flag cases. I hope it made you feel as good as I did when I made one for my Dad's flag. I don't think we can ever honor our veterans enough.

Roy Wall
06-16-2005, 12:00 AM
Russ,

A super job on those cases.....they look terrific!! Spline joints are perfect!!
A touching post - thanks for letting us honor our veterans too.....

Corey Hallagan
06-16-2005, 12:32 AM
I think these look awesome. Nice job. Military history is another hobby of mine. My dad was a MP in Korea and I enjoy collecting WWII, Korean and Viet Nam figurines.

Corey

Mark Patoka
06-16-2005, 7:46 AM
Those are really nice looking Russ. I like the base design to allow for the nameplate.

One trick we use when putting flag cases or shadow boxes together for military retirements is to cut out a piece of 1/8" hardboard or cardboard slightly smaller than the inside dimensions of the case. This way you can fold the flag over this so you get it the perfect size and can also align the stars just right so it looks perfect to the viewer.

Ray Bersch
06-16-2005, 8:03 AM
Took this long to get the nerve to make these with my feeble woodworking skills!
Rus
No labor of love is done with feeble hands. These are beautiful and made more so by the love that went into the work. I can just see the gleam on you face as you look at these and it gives me a very warm feeling just to be an observer.

I think you can get someone to help you with folding the flags and you may be able to fold them to fit a little closer especially if you take Mark's advice about adding a stiffener.

Well done, my friend.
Ray

Pete Harbin
06-16-2005, 8:56 AM
Very nice Russ. You can tell that a lot of care went into building those, and I really like the base design.
About 8 or 9 Christmases ago my Dad gave me his Father's flag in a box that he built. It's still my favorite gift, and I'm really honored to have my Grandfather's flag displayed in my house. I'm sure your Mom is very proud of you and her veterans.

Pete

Ken Fitzgerald
06-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Russ....excellent work! The thoughts were helping guide your hands.....they were good thoughts!

Russ Filtz
06-16-2005, 9:09 PM
Thanks all! I'll have to try that method of folding with the stiffener. My brother is an "ex"-marine and was in the color guard, so he should know how to fold properly (no stripes showing only blue!). He folded the walnut one, but it just came out wrong. He'll have to re-do it. I live about 7-hrs away, so it may be awhile before I get to cut stiffeners.

Forgot to mention the hassle I had with the plates and glass! When I ordered the plates, I didn't specify font size. Thought I'd leave it to their experience. They used HUGE fonts and basically filled the entire plate up. You could read it from across the room. Very gaudy, so I made them re-do it.

For the glass, I ruined to panes of glass myself, then went to a window supplier. They promptly screwed up too with bad angles (the day before I was leaving!). But they saved the day by re-cutting while I waited. Need to get myself a better glass cutter to do it myself. The plates and glass alone ran me $60+ for the pair of cases, not counting my ruined panes!

Vaughn McMillan
06-17-2005, 12:40 AM
Very nice job, Russ. As others have said, the sentiment behind the boxes is evident in the finished product. Kudos.

- Vaughn

Keel McDonald
08-11-2005, 1:55 PM
Russ,

What method did you use to attach the top section of the case to the base? I've been considering building some for some family members, but can't get it in my head how to attach and make it look acceptable. Thanks for your help and sharing.

Tyler Howell
08-11-2005, 2:25 PM
Very Nice Russ, beautifully done.

Maybe you Creekers can help me out.
Just wondering if the flag case is reserved for individuals that have "Passed to Spirit", or is it suitable for every special American flag:confused:
Had a debate going around the office. I said I would check with this vast knowledge base.

TIA

Dan Forman
08-11-2005, 2:56 PM
Nice job on the cases, and a heartfelt post. I don't think anything can be more rewarding than such a project.

Dan

Pete Harbin
08-13-2005, 3:43 AM
Tyler,

I don't believe the display case is specifically reserved for the funeral flags of servicemen/women. My Dad was stationed at HAFB in Honolulu, and when he left the folks there presented him with a flag (in a case) that had been flown over the Arizona Memorial. I believe that most flags displayed in cases are funeral/memorial flags simply because that is the main reason folks would keep and want to display a folded flag.

Feel free to jump in and correct me on this one gang.

Pete

Mark Patoka
08-15-2005, 9:59 AM
I have never seen anything that only the burial flags can be displayed in a case. Many military members will receive a flag either in a flag case or shadow box with their medals at retirement, moving to another base, etc. It can be just an "ordinary" flag or one that was flown over a memorial, Capitol, Pentagon, combat zone, a significant date....

I was never in the Honor Guard but I do know that you only want the blue field displayed when the flag is folded, never the red or white stripes.

George Bregar
12-18-2007, 3:35 PM
Russ,

What method did you use to attach the top section of the case to the base? I've been considering building some for some family members, but can't get it in my head how to attach and make it look acceptable. Thanks for your help and sharing. Biscuit would work nicely. Or screwed from the bottom.

Lee Schierer
12-18-2007, 4:10 PM
Those are really nice looking Russ. I like the base design to allow for the nameplate.

One trick we use when putting flag cases or shadow boxes together for military retirements is to cut out a piece of 1/8" hardboard or cardboard slightly smaller than the inside dimensions of the case. This way you can fold the flag over this so you get it the perfect size and can also align the stars just right so it looks perfect to the viewer.
Instead of the hardboard, I use the 1/4" foam core poster board from the craft stores. You can stick straight pins into the edges to hold the flag and stars in perfect alignment and perfectly flat.

John Gornall
12-18-2007, 4:59 PM
A few suggestions:

Don't fold the flag over hardboard or cardboard as they are acidic and may damage the flags over time. Foamcore board is a better idea but be sure it is "acid free" foamcore. A best choice is ragboard which is 100% cotton - get it at a frame shop.

It's best if the flags don't touch wood at all as wood is acidic although the finish may solve this problem. A good choice is to line the box with ragboard in the color of your choice.

I suggest Conservation glass to prevent fading.

Russ Filtz
12-18-2007, 8:31 PM
Biscuit would work nicely. Or screwed from the bottom.

Yes, I screwed my bottoms on. Wasn't the original plan and I could have just slotted the back piece in instead of rabbetting, since you can then place the flag from the bottom! I think the rabbets also caused problems at the bottom near the corners of the base (or I just cut wrong!)

Scot Roberts
12-18-2007, 10:09 PM
I found this forum while researching what I needed to know to make a flag case. I've taken it upon myself to surprise my mom on Christmas with a flag case for her second husband of 25 years. He was a WWII veteran and recently passed away. The flag is the standard VA supplied 5 x 9 1/2 burial flag. Very nice cotton by the way with embroidered stars.

I like the design Russ came up with for a few reasons and have decided to imitate it...."steal it" if you will. I also have the rare privilege and pleasure to work on it with my father (84 years old) who I learned everything from, as he did from his father. We work in the shop together quite often and it's a pastime we both enjoy.

My question is, I'm using African Cherry a.k.a Makore, and I'd like to get any tips on finishing it that anyone might have. I'm not a great finisher yet so most intricate techniques are rather foreign to me. Most of the work I do is lathe work which I usually oil or wax.

Tips? Suggestions?

And thanks for being here. Nice to see a woodworking forum.

Russ Filtz
12-19-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm a purist when it comes to Cherry. I assume your version may work the same as american cherry. I tend to use ONY a "PURE" tung oil finish mixed with mineral spirits (witches brew). I use varying mixtures as I go, gradually adding more tung to the mix, maybe up to half-half. I also add varying amounts of clear rub-on poly as I go, with final coats at 1/3 each, tung, MS, poly. You can finish with a coat of pure poly if you want.

This is a long process and can a week or more. You need to flood the wood initially, let it soak in and then wipe the excess, then let it cure for while. Rinse and repeat (not the rinse part!)

If you go too fast, or add too much tung or coat too soon, it can get gummy. No worries, you can cut it back with some MS and scotchbrite. If you start adding the poly, you will need to lightly sand between each coat as well (use a fine grade or even just the scotchbrite pad).

The tung will really pop the grain and adding just a little poly as you go later will give durability without "coating" the wood too much. You still get that natural wood feel. You HAVE TO USE pure tung, not the tung oil mixtures you get at the hardware store. You will need to order online or go to a dedicated woodwaorking store.

Jody Malinich
12-19-2007, 1:22 PM
Very nice flag cases. You should be proud. Alot of good tips on how to get the flag nice and tight. I use the hardboard method for most flags.

He is one I just finished. Made from sapele. No splines, just four screws that hold the triangle to the base everything else is glued. No stress at any of the joints.

George Bregar
12-19-2007, 1:27 PM
I found this forum while researching what I needed to know to make a flag case. I've taken it upon myself to surprise my mom on Christmas with a flag case for her second husband of 25 years. He was a WWII veteran and recently passed away. The flag is the standard VA supplied 5 x 9 1/2 burial flag. Very nice cotton by the way with embroidered stars.

I like the design Russ came up with for a few reasons and have decided to imitate it...."steal it" if you will. I also have the rare privilege and pleasure to work on it with my father (84 years old) who I learned everything from, as he did from his father. We work in the shop together quite often and it's a pastime we both enjoy.

My question is, I'm using African Cherry a.k.a Makore, and I'd like to get any tips on finishing it that anyone might have. I'm not a great finisher yet so most intricate techniques are rather foreign to me. Most of the work I do is lathe work which I usually oil or wax.

Tips? Suggestions?

And thanks for being here. Nice to see a woodworking forum. Just use BLO. Saturate it...wait a bit, wipe off excess. Repeat. Wax with a high quality paste wax. Buff to a nice sheen. Done.

David Tiell
12-19-2007, 2:27 PM
I have never seen anything that only the burial flags can be displayed in a case. Many military members will receive a flag either in a flag case or shadow box with their medals at retirement, moving to another base, etc. It can be just an "ordinary" flag or one that was flown over a memorial, Capitol, Pentagon, combat zone, a significant date....

I was never in the Honor Guard but I do know that you only want the blue field displayed when the flag is folded, never the red or white stripes.
Mark,
You're quite right. Military retirees rate a flag for their service upon their retirement, and can request it to be flown just about anywhere to dedicate it for the occasion. Most then have it folded and mounted in a shadowbox or flag case along with their medals, ribbons, and other memorabilia from their career. In my mind, it is a fitting tribute to be presented with a flag at retirement after spending 20 years or more defending it.

My flag is simply folded and placed inside my shadowbox in the traditional triangular folded manner. I have seen the one folded over hardboard and foamboard. I admit it does look nice, neat, and pretty. However, and I don't intend to start any fights with this, but most people when they do this don't actually FOLD the flag behind the hardboard. They simply wrap it around the hardboard so it looks nice and pretty, then just cram the rest of the flag in behind it then close it up. I personally think this is disrespectful to the flag, and refuse to do it. If I make a shadowbox, I will provide hardboard for the person to do that if they prefer, but I won't do it myself.

Neal McCormick
12-19-2007, 2:27 PM
We buried my father yesterday. He was a "SeaBee" in the South Pacific during World War II. I was presented with the flag after the burial and thought I should make a case for it. I had forgotten about it until I was scanning the posts today as I do most days. Quite surprising to see this post. Wonderful cases. I suspect this next question belongs in the Laser Engravers section - One item I have always cherished was a "SeaBee" patch my father gave me when I was a young boy. It is about 2 1/2 inches round. Is that something that could be transferred onto a piece of wood I could mount into a base under the flag? I looked at Jody's site (very nice) and the cases with 3 sections and drawers was what I had in mind.

Tony De Masi
12-19-2007, 3:20 PM
Russ,

Wonderful cases. I've made at least a couple hundred of these over the years but of a bit of a different design.

On your walnut case, the flag may indeed need to be refolded but it also appears to be in backwards.

Tony

scott spencer
12-19-2007, 5:26 PM
Nice Russ! I like them both...

Scot Roberts
12-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the finishing tips guys. I think I'll try the boiled linseed oil method on this project because of it's simplicity and the time I have. I would however like to explore the method Russ talks about on my next turning project which is a figured maple and walnut.

As for the flag folding, David, I find it shocking that anyone would even consider wrapping a hardboard with the facing side of the flag and then stuffing the rest in behind. Unbelievable.

My situation is the flag was folded by some local aging VA guys before the service. Since he was cremated there was no casket. Instead the folded flag was sitting on a memorial table at the front of the church. My question is...if anyone here knows the protocol, the fold seems like it's maybe a little bit loose and I think I can get a tighter fold but there's something that feels very wrong about refolding it.

Do I leave it and respectfully place it in the case or can I refold it?

Don Abele
12-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Guys, let me answer a couple of questions about flag protocol that have come up. First, I'll qualify my response - I've been in the Navy for 21 years now and am currently the Command Senior Chief (most senior enlisted person) for USS CONSTITUTION in Boston. We fly nearly 10,000 flags per year for anyone in the world that requests it. We pay for return postage and a really nice certificate (the paper costs us $3 a sheet). We will fly any authroized US flag as well as any service flags or state flags.

First, flag cases are for presentation and preservation of a flag. It doesn't matter why (death, retirement, etc). It's the proper way to display it if it is not going to be hung up.

Flag cases need to be fit for the flag that will go in it. A standard flag is much smaller than a casket flag. A casket flag is also made of 100% cotton, where all outdoor flags are 100% nylon. Therefore, the casket flag is not only larger in size, but is much thicker.

When inserting a flag into a case, we do not use any backerboards. We fold it tight and correctly so the stars line up. We have a lot of practice and usually get it on the first try. But if it takes a couple of trys no biggie, you are only going to fold it once. If the flag is too loose (front to back) in the case, we use 100% cotton batting behind the flag.

As for refolding a flag, absolutely. Whether it's one we fly over the ship or one we folded at a funeral, they are never going to be folded tight enough just because of how/where they are folded. There is nothing wrong with unfolding and refolding to get it tighter/neater.

Ideally, when folded the flag should present two stars at the top with a second row under it with three stars. Some smaller flags may yeild more stars, but the two over three is common.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Be well,

Doc

David Tiell
12-22-2007, 2:43 PM
Guys, let me answer a couple of questions about flag protocol that have come up. First, I'll qualify my response - I've been in the Navy for 21 years now and am currently the Command Senior Chief (most senior enlisted person) for USS CONSTITUTION in Boston. We fly nearly 10,000 flags per year for anyone in the world that requests it. We pay for return postage and a really nice certificate (the paper costs us $3 a sheet). We will fly any authroized US flag as well as any service flags or state flags.

First, flag cases are for presentation and preservation of a flag. It doesn't matter why (death, retirement, etc). It's the proper way to display it if it is not going to be hung up.

Flag cases need to be fit for the flag that will go in it. A standard flag is much smaller than a casket flag. A casket flag is also made of 100% cotton, where all outdoor flags are 100% nylon. Therefore, the casket flag is not only larger in size, but is much thicker.

When inserting a flag into a case, we do not use any backerboards. We fold it tight and correctly so the stars line up. We have a lot of practice and usually get it on the first try. But if it takes a couple of trys no biggie, you are only going to fold it once. If the flag is too loose (front to back) in the case, we use 100% cotton batting behind the flag.

As for refolding a flag, absolutely. Whether it's one we fly over the ship or one we folded at a funeral, they are never going to be folded tight enough just because of how/where they are folded. There is nothing wrong with unfolding and refolding to get it tighter/neater.

Ideally, when folded the flag should present two stars at the top with a second row under it with three stars. Some smaller flags may yeild more stars, but the two over three is common.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Be well,

Doc
Doc,
Thanks for the great information! The flag is the symbol of this great nation, and should be treated with the respect it deserves. Unfortunately, not everybody knows the true protocol. Your input here will help a lot of flags be properly cared for.

And thanks for your service, and I envy you your current tour. Talk about a historic duty station!

Dave

Pat Germain
12-22-2007, 2:48 PM
Yes, thanks, Don. How did you score a billet aboard the Constitution? Are you a reservist? What's your rate?

I was a Navy IS for nine years. No way could I have got an assignment on the Constitution; well, maybe the carrier Constitution. My detailer would have laughed at me. I did work at the Pentagon and commission an aircraft carrier. Those were the proverbial Navy combination of cool and suck. ;)

David Tiell
12-22-2007, 2:53 PM
I did work at the Pentagon and commission an aircraft carrier. Those were the proverbial Navy combination of cool and suck. ;)

So which was the cool and which was the suck? :DI know my opinion, but just curious.

Scot Roberts
12-22-2007, 7:51 PM
Thanks Don....'preciate it. That helps. This one is a standard casket flag 5 X 9 1/2 and very nice. I was surprised at how big they are when folded. And thanks for the info on flying a flag over the USS Constitution. I also found out while researching this project that anyone can request a flag that has or will be flown over the capitol. Are these all Nylon flags then?

And maybe you can answer another question that came to mind. At around 10,000 flags per year on the ship (and I heard the number is higher at the capitol)...that's about 28 flags a day. Who raises and lowers flags all day? It may sound silly but it crossed my mind.

Pat Germain
12-22-2007, 8:18 PM
So which was the cool and which was the suck? :DI know my opinion, but just curious.

I know I'm seriously drifting here, but each had their share of both:

- It never stops being cool to watch planes take of and land on a carrier
- It sucks to live with 6,000 dogfaced squids while breathing bad air, eating bad food and drinking bad water
- Some of the port calls are cool, but having to wait all day to ride a boat ashore sucks. It also sucks to ride the boat back when it's full of drunk squids yacking everywhere

- It's cool to be at the hub of the US Department of Defense
- It sucks to work in the world's largest office building where you have to pickup and drop off packages in the remote corners
- It's cool to work with some of America's best and brightest

Don Abele
12-22-2007, 8:49 PM
David, you are quiet welcome and as I said, if anyone has any other questions about flag protocol, please let me know. I pretty much have the US Code memorized. One thing that upsets me about the "flag law" is that it's not enforceable - there is no punishment if you violate it. Most people just don't know and that's why I take a personal interest in informing them of the proper way to handle the symbol which I hold so dear.

Pat, I am a Hospital Corpsman by rate (hence the "Doc"). But when I left my last submarine 2 1/2 years ago I went into the Command program. So now I'm detailed completely different. Thankfully I do get to still practice medicine where I'm at because we are so isolated from other Navy resources. It is a great billet and I am dreading having to leave this summer. As to how I got it - I was hand selected, as are every crew member onboard. I went up against four other people and was really shocked when they called and said they picked me. BTW, thank you for your service - during both the cool times and the suck times :D.

Scott, most flags that are flown are nylon because they are keepsake flags. Very rarely will a burial (casket) flag be flown, but we do get them from time to time. Many national icons throughout the US have a department for flying flags. Mine is staffed with three personnel whose sole job is to fly the flags and prepare the certificates (BTW, every certificate is hand signed by our Commanding Officer). We actually average about 10-20 per day but there are days like the 4th of July, September 11th, or the Navy's birthday that we get tons. My crew will be out there from 0800 until late afternoon flying them all.

Be well,

Doc