PDA

View Full Version : Turned clock

Dick Mahany
02-07-2014, 5:19 PM
Seems like I've been bouncing all over the place lately. Lidded boxes, pens, a try at a slim finial, and now a simple turned clock frame. I just can't get enough turning time in. This was a fun project and it was a challenge to figure how to get the clock mechanism to appear to float without visible means of support. I ended up turning a piece of polycarbonate and scroll sawing some of it away to mount the rear of the mechanism to. Walnut ring approx. 9.25"dia. x 1.5"T glue ups from 4/4 stock scraps, with a Rosewood base.

Scott Vincent
02-07-2014, 5:54 PM
Love the floating look! Very sharp.

George Bokros
02-07-2014, 6:19 PM
That is absolutely beautiful.

George

Paul Williams
02-07-2014, 7:04 PM
Very nice, good job Dick.

Glenn Barber
02-07-2014, 7:57 PM
Very Cool! Functional Art....love it! Any chance of a picture of the back? I must admit to being quite intrigued on how you accomplished installing the "floating" mechanism.

Excellent piece!

Glenn

Thom Sturgill
02-07-2014, 8:12 PM
Nice job, Dick. It will look great on desk or mantle.

Josh Bowman
02-07-2014, 8:18 PM
My wife and I really like this. Where did the works come from? How did you attach it?

Dick Mahany
02-07-2014, 8:33 PM
Thanks for the kind comments!
Glenn, Here's a pic of the (ugly) backside. I turned some polycarb to fit in a recess in the backside of the clock surround and drilled/countersunk 3 mounting holes for the brass screws. I had to drill the poly for the center time adjust knob, and scroll saw the pocket for the battery cover. To attach the mechanism, I drilled two holes adjacent to the battery cover and used tiny #3 machine screws to attach the movement. Not my finest work, but I intend to do better on the next one :o

Josh, I got the mechanism from Clockit for ~$27. Lee Valley also sells it for ~$35. Made in China, but looks very nice. There are also other versions out there that have the full roman numeral markings for the hour (which I wished I'd have bought). The OD of the brass dial is just shy of 5". There is a supplier in the UK who also sells these and they have a glass rear plate mounted in a brass ring that eliminates having to mess around with the poly. I believe they are Turners Retreat or something close. I only learned of them after I bought this one :(.

Sorry for the poor backside pic, but I wanted to get back to you with answers

Josh Bowman
02-07-2014, 8:52 PM
That looks awful! I want to help you with this problem. I'd be happy to depose of it. Just PM me And I'll Give YOU my address.:D
Seriously though. Even the back looks fine

Harry Robinette
02-07-2014, 9:20 PM
Totally unbelievably, I totally love it. I have one of those clocks it's been around for years yours my have inspired me.

Pat Scott
02-08-2014, 9:28 AM
I agree with everyone, I love it and it looks awesome. Now my wife says I have to make one too!

Greg Just
02-08-2014, 9:33 AM
Very nice job. I have made turned clocks before but nothing quite like this. In the picture of the front, there appears to be a silver ring on the outside edge of the poly. Can you explain how you did that? Thanks for sharing. It would look great on a mantel.

Dick Mahany
02-08-2014, 9:52 AM
Very nice job. I have made turned clocks before but nothing quite like this. In the picture of the front, there appears to be a silver ring on the outside edge of the poly. Can you explain how you did that? Thanks for sharing. It would look great on a mantel.

Greg, The polycarbonate is only on the backside to hold the mechanism. The silver ring on the front holds a convex glass window. They came from a Walmart clock that I "repurposed". The silver bezel is actually chrome plated plastic that holds the glass. I wanted a brass colored one, but they only had the silver color. Bezels and glass are typically pricey if purchased from a clock supply house, but the whole "donor" clock cost less than $10 from Walmart !