PDA

View Full Version : wait or weight

ray hampton
02-07-2014, 3:17 PM
I order some tools Monday and they was mail on time to be here today [Friday] BUT the tracker change the delivery to this Monday
WE NEED A NEW COMPANY that can deliver on time every time

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2014, 3:39 PM
Ray,

With 3 winter storms crossing the US right now, I doubt that any of the companies can guarantee a delivery due to fly conditions being effected by not only snow, ice but bitter cold temperatures too.

Val Kosmider
02-07-2014, 3:39 PM
Mail? As in US Post Office?

Good luck with that.

I recently sent some things Two Day Priority from pretty major cities. It took five days!

Matt Meiser
02-07-2014, 3:51 PM
UPS's attitude here is pretty much "tough ____" even though Fedex is managing to make deliveries just fine most days. I'm at the end of the UPS route I'm on and they'll just give up about 6PM and not deliver what's left and blame road conditions. The driver is flat out lying about that--says my road isn't plowed which is false because I've been keeping it plowed. Then they start the next day at the beginning and lo and behold they never get to me again. It can go on for 4 days like that. I managed to get a local phone for them and intend to let it calm down from the most recent storm then demand they figure out a way to put me first after skipping me or I'll start making complaints to anyone who will take them. Even that might not change anything but if they have to start responding to the BBB and AG they might find it easier to just get me my stuff.

ray hampton
02-07-2014, 6:32 PM
Ray,

With 3 winter storms crossing the US right now, I doubt that any of the companies can guarantee a delivery due to fly conditions being effected by not only snow, ice but bitter cold temperatures too.

I understand about the weather but the package was routed to Illinois

ray hampton
02-07-2014, 6:36 PM
Mail? As in US Post Office?

Good luck with that.

I recently sent some things Two Day Priority from pretty major cities. It took five days!

NO to the post office, I fail to mention UPS, I consider all packages and letters 'MAIL '

ray hampton
02-07-2014, 6:39 PM
UPS's attitude here is pretty much "tough ____" even though Fedex is managing to make deliveries just fine most days. I'm at the end of the UPS route I'm on and they'll just give up about 6PM and not deliver what's left and blame road conditions. The driver is flat out lying about that--says my road isn't plowed which is false because I've been keeping it plowed. Then they start the next day at the beginning and lo and behold they never get to me again. It can go on for 4 days like that. I managed to get a local phone for them and intend to let it calm down from the most recent storm then demand they figure out a way to put me first after skipping me or I'll start making complaints to anyone who will take them. Even that might not change anything but if they have to start responding to the BBB and AG they might find it easier to just get me my stuff.

I wanted to called UPS because of other mistakes BUT they do not give their phone number out very quick

Larry Frank
02-07-2014, 8:10 PM
I have either had things shipped to me or I have shipped things this week both UPS and Priority Mail. Both of them were delayed by the weather.

Given that some places like me got 8-10" of snow, other places have had bad ice and power lines down and the temperatures have been sub zero, I think that the shippers have done pretty well. One has to understand that a slowdown in things like the airlines in one part of the country causes delays across the system.

We have gotten spoiled in expecting two day delivery of a package for around $10-15. I think that is a pretty good bargain. I grit my teeth too when packages are delayed but the cold, ice and snow have been pretty intense this weather. There are still a lot of people who are without power and I am thankful that I have mine.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-07-2014, 8:16 PM
I must be living right, UPS here is fantastic. They are always out in the nasty weather, way longer than I am. The USPS on the other hand... one of those bozos has my 14" dado set. They delivered the empty broken box, stamped "damaged". Wow.

Matt Meiser
02-07-2014, 8:25 PM
Given that some places like me got 8-10" of snow,

Mine was "Out for Delivery" the day before the latest snow and about 3 hours before the first flake was scanned as delayed due to emergency conditions out of their control. That's their game here this winter.

Jeff Nicol
02-07-2014, 8:55 PM
I guess when I order something and if I paid for exspedited shipping then I would expect it on time, but this winter has been brutal for everyone. So for an arrival date changed from Friday to Monday would not get me bent out of shape because he delay was ruly due to nasty weather.

Matt, In your case I have shipped things for folks who live out in the boonies and my cost to ship is greater due to extra fuel surcharges and it always adds extra time to the delivery date. But that is no excuse to not deliver things when the item has went out on the route for delivery. But I suppose things really could be going wrong for the driver, the truck or the weather, and you are one of the unlucky ones, and of course it is all due to massive climate change and we may never get deliveries ever again unless it is by dogsled or horseback!

Good luck, and things will work out in the end for all,

Jeff

Matt Meiser
02-07-2014, 9:36 PM
I'm not THAT far out--we live 8-1/2 miles from the city limits of Toledo, OH.

Rick Moyer
02-07-2014, 10:21 PM
I'm a pretty big fan of UPS generally as they do the best job in most cases. Latest shipments have been a little different, though. I ordered twice for shipments from the west coast. Both were delayed and one was delayed twice BY TRAIN! Never saw that before. I think this winter has been tough on everything, particularly travel. I'd give all the carriers a break for another month. It's not easy. I will say though that one shipment got to Harrisburg on time (the nearest major hub) then went 150 degrees in the wrong direction to Philadelphia, then back to Harrisburg then north to my local distribution point. No explanation for that maneuver. This is atypical of UPS however. Mostly their logistics are very good.

Frank Ashmore
02-08-2014, 10:42 AM
go pick it up your self .Im sure that will save you time and money

Brian Elfert
02-08-2014, 11:19 AM
I wanted to called UPS because of other mistakes BUT they do not give their phone number out very quick

UPS has their phone number right on their website under Contact us: 1-800-PICK-UPS

Weather in other areas of the country can hold up packages in other areas with good weather. It used to be normal to get mail order stuff in 4 to 6 weeks and now we moan and groan when a ground shipment arrives a day later than expected.

David G Baker
02-08-2014, 11:22 AM
In the past I used UPS AIR BLUE LABEL OVERNIGHT. It cost a lot but I always got items overnight but I never ordered during major storm activity.

Brian Elfert
02-08-2014, 11:25 AM
IMy understanding is that UPS contracts with railroads are pretty good. I've heard stories of a railroad missing a UPS rail car for some reason and running a single locomotive with just that car to catch it up with the rest of the train. That has to cost the railroad a lot of money, but I'm sure UPS pays well to get better service. I've also heard that non time sensitive shipments by train by train can sometimes take weeks to go cross country.

ray hampton
02-08-2014, 11:27 AM
UPS has their phone number right on their website under Contact us: 1-800-PICK-UPS

Weather in other areas of the country can hold up packages in other areas with good weather. It used to be normal to get mail order stuff in 4 to 6 weeks and now we moan and groan when a ground shipment arrives a day later than expected.

thank you Brian

Brian Elfert
02-08-2014, 11:30 AM
In the past I used UPS AIR BLUE LABEL OVERNIGHT. It cost a lot but I always got items overnight but I never ordered during major storm activity.

You aren't kidding about UPS overnight being expensive. I had a brake problem with my bus conversion I discovered a few days before a vacation trip. Shop found the problem the day before I was to leave and it cost me $75 to have a five pound part shipped overnight. (Part number was rusted off and nobody could match the part by just seeing it so I had to order from manufacturer.) Shipping would have been free if wanted ground. I've seen other cases where the seller offered free ground shipping and overnight shipping was $400!

ray hampton
02-08-2014, 2:28 PM
I have either had things shipped to me or I have shipped things this week both UPS and Priority Mail. Both of them were delayed by the weather.

Given that some places like me got 8-10" of snow, other places have had bad ice and power lines down and the temperatures have been sub zero, I think that the shippers have done pretty well. One has to understand that a slowdown in things like the airlines in one part of the country causes delays across the system.

We have gotten spoiled in expecting two day delivery of a package for around $10-15. I think that is a pretty good bargain. I grit my teeth too when packages are delayed but the cold, ice and snow have been pretty intense this weather. There are still a lot of people who are without power and I am thankful that I have mine.

my power do not go out too often of which I thank GOD, I see the same neighborhoods go into a power outages almost every storm, thank you for the remainder

Jim Matthews
02-08-2014, 4:10 PM
I'm not THAT far out--we live 8-1/2 miles from the city limits of Toledo, OH.

That's in Candada, innit?

Matt Meiser
02-08-2014, 7:12 PM
Nah, that's a good 30 miles or more.

Bill Cunningham
02-08-2014, 8:22 PM
Expedited post in Canada has a tracked guaranteed delivery date. one day late and you get your full postage back.. Last year I recovered at least 60% of my shipping costs.. I guess that's why postage in Canada is expensive compared to the U.S.. But I don't care. I get 60% of my shipping costs back..ha.. It's funny, I can ship something to Alberta, and it gets there 2 days early. I ship it to A town just 30 miles north of me (Orillia, next day delivery guaranteed ) and it 'always' gets there a day late because they send it to the sorting plant in Toronto first (75 miles and one day delivery in the other direction).. It's a guaranteed refund..:D

Lee Schierer
02-09-2014, 8:07 AM
Be aware that UPS has contracted with the US Post Office to deliver some packages to your door. This will automatically add 1-2 days to delivery. Our local post office gets their mail delivery from the central sorting depot at 7:30 in the morning. They sort it into their delivery routes and the mail carriers leave when they finish sorting and start delivering to the rural mail boxes. UPS delivers to the local post office after the local mail carriers have left so the UPS packages sit until sorting time the next day even though UPS shows them out to delivery. That simply means UPS has delegated responsibility to USPS not that your package will actually show up that day.

Pat Barry
02-09-2014, 7:18 PM
"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

LOL - These days, if they can't lean out of their mail truck and open my mailbox the mail doesn't get delivered, consequently, everyone needs to clear out the front of the mailbox after the plow comes by. So much for the motto.

Jeff Erbele
02-10-2014, 2:51 PM
A new small package freight company that delivers on time, every time, is highly unlikely and perhaps a waste of any wishes granted.
I understand your frustration but, On time - Every time falls somewhere between unrealistic to impossible, given the weather, mechanical problems and other circumstances beyond their control. Remember the USA 9-11 No-Fly Mandate.

Time would be better spent working with those we have. If you paid for expedited service and they (FedEx / UPS) missed the date, they may discount or rebate the delivery charge.

Brian Elfert
02-10-2014, 3:06 PM
LOL - These days, if they can't lean out of their mail truck and open my mailbox the mail doesn't get delivered, consequently, everyone needs to clear out the front of the mailbox after the plow comes by. So much for the motto.

Is it really that hard to clear the snow in front of your mailbox? There were a few times early this winter nobody cleared the snow in front of the mailboxes and both my newspaper and mail got delivered. For the last 6 to 8 weeks I've cleared the snow in front of the mailboxes after every snowfall. It isn't perfect because the older snow has hardened into a brick, but it was better than it was. I have a larger snow blower than the neighbor so it is easier for me to do.

Orion Henderson
02-10-2014, 3:48 PM
Late shipments are certainly very frustrating. This winter is worse than usual, whether its weather or a better economy with more people traveling-I don't know. Probably a little of both.

Each shipper has its pluses and minuses. I think choosing wisely, depending on what a vendor has available can save everyone some headaches.

In my experience, FedEx Express is the best service, but by far the most expensive. I have had very poor experiences with FedEx Ground/Home.

UPS is typically very good, and certainly the best for commercial addresses and rural commercial addresses.

USPS is the cheapest-and you get what you pay for. However, USPS can be a real value when shipping coast to coast. It is actually faster and cheaper than UPS. The downside is that it might get lost with no recourse.

Rural residential deliveries are the most problematic. Here I feel the USPS may offer the best combo of price and service.

Jeff Erbele
02-10-2014, 4:17 PM
go pick it up your self .Im sure that will save you time and money

Excellent point :)
Having things so good, sometimes we are too quick at being critical when they don't meet our very high expectations.

Some complain about the price of a stamp. You want it where, when? Ok, forty nine cents Key West Florida - Point Barrow Alaska

Matt Meiser
02-10-2014, 5:15 PM
Be aware that UPS has contracted with the US Post Office to deliver some packages to your door.

That's a specific service chosen by the shipper, not something they just randomly do. Fedex has the same service. Its a less expensive option commonly used for "free" shipping. For me, if it goes UPS, I'll always get it the next day after USPS gets it. Fedex, the same day because they drop it off at USPS early in the morning. Obviously that will vary by location. UPS will also skip the USPS step if you have another package being delivered the same day to your address---as long as they actually deliver to you that day. Otherwise both sit on the truck until they decide to actually deliver even though the mail might have come for a couple days. :mad:

ray hampton
02-10-2014, 5:41 PM
That's a specific service chosen by the shipper, not something they just randomly do. Fedex has the same service. Its a less expensive option commonly used for "free" shipping. For me, if it goes UPS, I'll always get it the next day after USPS gets it. Fedex, the same day because they drop it off at USPS early in the morning. Obviously that will vary by location. UPS will also skip the USPS step if you have another package being delivered the same day to your address---as long as they actually deliver to you that day. Otherwise both sit on the truck until they decide to actually deliver even though the mail might have come for a couple days. :mad:

I want to thank everyone for the information , the carton came today BUT what time I can not tell because the driver fail to open the deck gate and the carton could not be seen , if I buy something from west coast , will USPS handle the shipment all of the way or do UPS help ? will the carton come by train , planes or trucks ? how do DHS figure in the transport of freight ?

Brian Elfert
02-10-2014, 5:57 PM
I just got a whole pile of packages from the USPS. They all came a day earlier than the estimated delivery date. I still have a UPS package coming that is supposed to be here tomorrow.

Pat Barry
02-10-2014, 6:51 PM
Is it really that hard to clear the snow in front of your mailbox? There were a few times early this winter nobody cleared the snow in front of the mailboxes and both my newspaper and mail got delivered. For the last 6 to 8 weeks I've cleared the snow in front of the mailboxes after every snowfall. It isn't perfect because the older snow has hardened into a brick, but it was better than it was. I have a larger snow blower than the neighbor so it is easier for me to do.
Yes, in fact it is. Here in Minnesota we have had a great deal of snow, and then extreme and extended periods of cold. So, couple that with no melting, ie: the January thaw never showed up, there 'snow' around my mailbox is more resembling a small iceberg. I use my snow blower, however, it doesn't grind ice. I think it will only get worse until sometime in March since the groundhog has predicted at least 6 more weeks of snow. Every new snow fall I expect to get a 'please clear away the snow from your mailbox' card from my mail delivery person's.

Brian Elfert
02-10-2014, 8:50 PM
Yes, in fact it is. Here in Minnesota we have had a great deal of snow, and then extreme and extended periods of cold. So, couple that with no melting, ie: the January thaw never showed up, there 'snow' around my mailbox is more resembling a small iceberg. I use my snow blower, however, it doesn't grind ice. I think it will only get worse until sometime in March since the groundhog has predicted at least 6 more weeks of snow. Every new snow fall I expect to get a 'please clear away the snow from your mailbox' card from my mail delivery person's.

I probably live within 10 miles of you so I know what the weather has been like. I've not had that much trouble keeping my mailbox clear of snow, but you might live on a road where the plow pushes up a lot of snow like a cul de sac or something. There is a lot of ice around my mailbox now and it might be harder the next time it snows.

Pat Barry
02-10-2014, 9:29 PM
Yeah Brian, I know - I was just jerking your chain a bit. I'm hoping for a bit of sun and a warm enough day to get out and chip away some of the ice build-up. It faces west so its a late afternoon project. The big problem is the plow never really got close to the mailbox to begin with and now every snow fall they end up further away because of all the ice. That and my 'neighbor' had a plow service that came in and plowed the snow from his driveway out into the street and then up against the side of the street where my mailbox is, right after I cleared it all away. So all that together and my mailbox area is recessed from the street plow line and now becomes a dumping ground for the plow every time he comes by. Its kind of a no win situation right now

Sam Whit
02-12-2014, 1:25 AM
I have a package "due" this week. Expect it to be late and tracking to show it taking a stop in Bangladesh on its way from Arkansas to Alabama.

Its okay. I know and understand that stuff happens. Its not a specfic persons fault. Not the end of the world either. I just hope my customers have a similar outlook when I weigh the risk/reward of their demands and pick the safest/easiest route.

ray hampton
02-12-2014, 11:28 AM
I have a package "due" this week. Expect it to be late and tracking to show it taking a stop in Bangladesh on its way from Arkansas to Alabama.

Its okay. I know and understand that stuff happens. Its not a specfic persons fault. Not the end of the world either. I just hope my customers have a similar outlook when I weigh the risk/reward of their demands and pick the safest/easiest route.

what airport will your package take a tour of ? every packages need a stamp showing every stop that it went to

Jim Koepke
02-12-2014, 2:22 PM
In my experience, FedEx Express is the best service, but by far the most expensive. I have had very poor experiences with FedEx Ground/Home.

My understanding is they are in effect two different companies. At my old address I would tell shippers to not use FedEx Ground. Most FedEx Ground routes are privately operated. Even though we lived in a well established residential area they usually couldn't find us.

Now my neighbor is the "private operator" for FedEx Ground and knows were we live. The downside is we are the last delivery on the route.

Expect it to be late and tracking to show it taking a stop in Bangladesh on its way from Arkansas to Alabama.

Maybe it needs one more upgrade before delivery...

jtk