PDA

View Full Version : Gun Cabinet Plans

jeffrey bailey
02-07-2014, 1:03 PM
My nephew (16) is looking for plans for a one-door gun cabinet. He plans to build one for his 4H project this year. Does anyone know of any sites where he can get a plan? I Googled and just got frustrated at Bills Woodworking. Seems to come up every other link.

Lee Reep
02-07-2014, 1:16 PM
What exactly did you search on? I Googled "free woodworking plans for gun cabinet" and got quite a few, including SketchUp models. I'd think the SketchUp path would be a great one. I did my very first SketchUp design last Fall when I built a workbench. It is free, and not hard to learn. I also used the dimensioning tool to make a drawing showing where all my critical cuts and holes needed to be. You can generate reports that give parts lists with dimensions, too. I have not tried it, but there are add-ons to generate cut lists.

This would be an excellent way for your nephew to build something -- and learn a nice design tool in the process. And once the model is loaded into SketchUp, it could be modified ny him, so you woudl be giving him a starting place,and allowing him to be a little creative if desired.

I did a design for a cart for my DeWalt planer, and as a learning task, designed my own model of the planer, so I could make sure it fit well, and that the cart was the correct height to align to my workbench, which would be used as the out feed table. Then I discovered that SketchUp has a vast library of "parts", and I found an incredibly detailed model of the planer. Mine worked, but the library one looked prettier!

jeffrey bailey
02-07-2014, 1:46 PM
Thanks, I guess I just wasn't wording it correctly. I sent him some plans and found a few that interested me too.

Raymond Seward
02-07-2014, 4:15 PM
Here is a link....it is 2 door tho'.....I built this for my BF....he loves it. It is on the small side....... http://countryplans.com/vintage_farm/guncabinet.html