PDA

View Full Version : Vortex? I fear I am reaching the end...

Jon Prouty
02-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Hi all,

Please pardon my post... I feel need of a sanity check. I enjoy turning even though if I must be honest I believe I enjoy my tool addiction as much or even more. I like the hunt to find a CL score, or upgrade what I have. I have reached a point where my lathe is my final lathe (PM 3520b) and since I moved into my new house I am working on getting everything set up again and getting back into more turning time. Anyway, since my tool addiction needs to be constantly fed, I am keeping a watch on CL for upgrades. Perhaps a bigger bandsaw to upgrade my Jet 14" with riser block saw... or a better dust collector to replace my HF bagged version... or gouges or chucks... or perhaps a new hollowing tool? I am afraid I am reaching the end of the vortex on the tool addiction side and I don't want to slip into the flatwork world (and they say turning is a money pit - whatever... ever priced a nice new table saw, specialty tools like mortisers, edge sanders, etc????).

How many of you have reached a point where the tool acquisition side has reached a saturation point? I probably just need to get out into the shop and get it finished and set up so I can get to making shavings but while at my day job my tool addiction keeps me searching the web at lunch.

That festool tracksaw is a siren that keeps singing in my ear... and the sawstop videos are playing a sweet tune. Not to mention the Festool domino setup - imagine the fun that would be.... ARGH.

"Addicted in Arizona"
The AAW symposium is coming to AZ this summer so perhaps I should save my pennies for that event....

JP

Paul Engle
02-07-2014, 12:10 PM
I have never had that problem of finding the end to the vortex ... but it seems that the flat work bug has been singing siren songs in you ear ... the only hope for you now is to vow to never give in and start looking for a decent Rose engine lathe and its attachments. of course a new ts would help in doing segment work and then there is the Ornamental stuff . Should you run out of ideas , just post help wanted here in the turners forum and we'll help feed the need for the vortex.... untill then , Happy Curlies to you!!!

allen thunem
02-07-2014, 12:35 PM
i will be in chandler next tuesday for a few days. what should i bring to satisfy yrou addiction?

charlie knighton
02-07-2014, 1:22 PM
The AAW symposium is coming to AZ this summer so perhaps I should save my pennies for that event....

yes you should go.....you might look into the utah symposium in may also......they will renew your vortex addition......

at aaw symposium there will be a vendor area where you can actually see some of the lathes......craft supplies home is in provo, just below orem where the utah symposium is, also craft supplies has super wednesday which is free

Lee Reep
02-07-2014, 1:36 PM
My tool acquisition addiction came to an abrupt halt in January. I decided to retire! And so my wife believes that it is time to use the tools I have to complete the home remodeling. (Not to mention her request that I spend a little more time on house work. Can you imagine! :) I actually have, since she is still working, and . And I've quit saying to her: "I am so glad it is Friday!" ...)

Be careful of drinking the Green Kool-Aid. I bought my Festool track saw in November, and that was a great "fix" for the addiction, albeit temporary. Ironically, it made me postpone the purchase of a SawStop, which was meant to give me the muscle to help break down sheet goods. Much easier with a track saw. And the Domino, well, it will wait until after we assess our taxes.

So I guess I would say I have momentarily put the addictive behavior on hold a few times, but it always comes back. And it comes back always with "Only Buy Quality Stuff -- Life is Too Short to Shop at Harbor Freight".

Brian Kent
02-07-2014, 1:41 PM
I have often come to the place where I can say, "That's all I need." Sometimes that place lasts for hours.

Steve Doerr
02-07-2014, 4:08 PM
I just watched a video on youtube by Neil Turner. I saw a new angle for the vortex that I had not imaged. His video is of the process he went through to make a carved piece. What a beauty it is. Anyway, I saw him sitting in a recliner while he was drawing on the vase. I thought to my self he must have an understanding wife like me that allows him to bring his work into the house so he can work on it. However, as I got further into the video I realize that the recliner was in his shop. Just remember, the vortex does not have to be limited to tools:D

Here is the address for the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50nzp-67WLU Enjoy

Steve

Jon Prouty
02-07-2014, 4:31 PM
I have never had that problem of finding the end to the vortex ... but it seems that the flat work bug has been singing siren songs in you ear ... the only hope for you now is to vow to never give in and start looking for a decent Rose engine lathe and its attachments. of course a new ts would help in doing segment work and then there is the Ornamental stuff . Should you run out of ideas , just post help wanted here in the turners forum and we'll help feed the need for the vortex.... untill then , Happy Curlies to you!!!
Rose engine - interesting idea. I think about segmented work but I don't think I have patience for that.

i will be in chandler next tuesday for a few days. what should i bring to satisfy yrou addiction?
If I knew what would satisfy I would be all over it like white on rice. :)

yes you should go.....you might look into the utah symposium in may also......they will renew your vortex addition......
at aaw symposium there will be a vendor area where you can actually see some of the lathes......craft supplies home is in provo, just below orem where the utah symposium is, also craft supplies has super wednesday which is free
I've already booked the weekend for the AZ symposium off with the wife and kids. I'll be there for sure!

My tool acquisition addiction came to an abrupt halt in January. I decided to retire! And so my wife believes that it is time to use the tools I have to complete the home remodeling. (Not to mention her request that I spend a little more time on house work. Can you imagine! :) I actually have, since she is still working, and . And I've quit saying to her: "I am so glad it is Friday!" ...)
Lee - congrats on the retirement! Looking forward to it in 30 years.

Be careful of drinking the Green Kool-Aid. I bought my Festool track saw in November, and that was a great "fix" for the addiction, albeit temporary. Ironically, it made me postpone the purchase of a SawStop, which was meant to give me the muscle to help break down sheet goods. Much easier with a track saw. And the Domino, well, it will wait until after we assess our taxes.
So I guess I would say I have momentarily put the addictive behavior on hold a few times, but it always comes back. And it comes back always with "Only Buy Quality Stuff -- Life is Too Short to Shop at Harbor Freight".
The green stuff looks amazing but wow is it spendy. I can't wrap my head around it right now. If it were half the price and coming up on CL a lot then I may be able to swing it. Seems those that start with Festool can't stop... which feeds my addictive personality perfectly :)

I have often come to the place where I can say, "That's all I need." Sometimes that place lasts for hours.
Brian - I am right there with you... that new chuck smell lasts long enough to satisfy only a little while.

I just watched a video on youtube by Neil Turner. I saw a new angle for the vortex that I had not imaged. His video is of the process he went through to make a carved piece. What a beauty it is. Anyway, I saw him sitting in a recliner while he was drawing on the vase. I thought to my self he must have an understanding wife like me that allows him to bring his work into the house so he can work on it. However, as I got further into the video I realize that the recliner was in his shop. Just remember, the vortex does not have to be limited to tools:D

Here is the address for the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50nzp-67WLU Enjoy

Steve
Steve - funny you should mention that. I have a recliner that is probably going to be headed to the shop soon. :)

My name is Jon - and I am a toolaholic.

robert baccus
02-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Never too many tools here. But I am running out of room for tool racks.

Reed Gray
02-08-2014, 1:06 AM
John,
Robert is very close to the solution. You need a bigger shop....

robo hippy

Michael Mills
02-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Rose engine - interesting idea. I think about segmented work but I don't think I have patience for that.

With a really nice rose engine you may change your mind. Here is a good one from Holtzapffel that would make a nice addition to your shop. :D Don't know what they would sell it for but they only paid $228,000.00 so you can probably get a good deal.

http://maineantiquedigest.com/events/turn-turn-turn-holtzapffel-rose-engine-lathe-brings-record-228000/3646

Don Bunce
02-08-2014, 12:30 PM
If you want to stick with turning, and never run out the need for more tools, get yourself a metal lathe.... Then you will want a milling attachment for the lathe. Then you will want a full sized milling machine...and then you will need all the tooling, chucks, vises, rotary table, etc,etc,etc, and of course, all the layout tools, surface plate, calipers, etc, etc,etc......

Now you will be able to make tools for the woodturning lathe, and then you will want to start making an ornamental lathe, and so forth, and so on, and it will never stop.....

This is the story of my life, and I'm a tool junkie, too...

Paul Engle
02-09-2014, 2:19 PM

Lee , finishing a remodel is NOT the way to retire ... and like I tell SWMBO , one cannot have too many tools ....

Steve Mawson
02-09-2014, 4:40 PM
Jon,
Too bad I did not know about your tool "problem" a few weeks ago as I was in Ahwautuke. I could have visited for a session, very much doubt if I could have helped with a cure of any kind however. So keep on keeping on.

Jamie Donaldson
02-09-2014, 11:00 PM
Jon, you are seriously misinformed, as there is no "bottom" to the vortex! Its like a black hole, continuing to suck in all that comes too close, never to escape! ;)

Steve Peterson
02-10-2014, 12:27 AM
I am also close to saying that I am near the end of the vortex. Mostly, it is due to lack of space. My shop is pretty full and I don't want to build a bigger one. I am currently using one stall of a 3 car garage. It is too convenient to be able to walk out any time I want. A detached shop would never be as nice, even if it was much larger.

Steve

Nathan Clark
02-10-2014, 6:53 PM
Get one of these, it should hold your addition over for a year or so while you explore a whole new realm of possibilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5I2Yph57FI

Jeffrey J Smith
02-10-2014, 9:01 PM
My personal vortex has taken an interesting turn. Like the OP, I invested in my last lathe about a year and a half ago (Robust AB). Now I find myself finding lots of things to make for it - mostly tools and attachments for hollowing so far. Don't have a metal lathe, but most of the work can be done with hand tools - every now and again I'll spend a couple of bucks to have a machine shop take care of a piece I can't see buying a tool for. Materials are mostly reasonable. I haven't welded since college over 40 years ago, but I've been able to reclaim what little skills I had with a borrowed mig welder...and it's fun. Just need to find the balance between turning and building tools.

Doug Herzberg
02-11-2014, 1:39 PM
Jon, your post has inspired me to think a lot about something which has been on my mind for some time.

I've always been worried that I'll turn into the Woodsmith Shop TV guys who seem to spend as much time and money making shop jigs and fixtures out of Baltic Birch plywood, mdf, tempered hardboard, and double stick tape as they do making actual woodworking projects. In fact, my wife routinely accuses me of being those guys. Much of my time is spent getting the shop "just right" which includes shopping for new, better tools, both at retail and on Craigslist.

I've also wondered if I'm nearing the bottom of the vortex. My GO698 will not be my last lathe if I keep this up, but for me, turning is a hobby, not a job, and I may not be able to justify the American Beauty or a big mustard colored machine. I have the McNaughton coring system, a few good gouges, a CBN wheel and most of the basics. I could see getting some more scrapers, skews and things of that sort, and I'm planning a steady rest project, but I really feel like I have what I need and would rather spend my time making shavings than shopping.

I have a cousin by marriage who earns his living making fixtures for a large grocery chain. I always wanted to see his shop, but I was disappointed when I finally did. He has a fine table saw and a great shaper, both nearly buried in sawdust, and nothing else. He buys all his lumber S4S, so he doesn't need planers and jointers. For him, woodworking is a living and the sooner he can get out of the shop and back to life, the better. He cleans up the sawdust with a grain shovel and will get to it when he can no longer walk to the tools he needs. I think there is a lesson in this.

I think the all you can eat buffet test may apply here. When I find myself at such a meal, I test whether I'm done eating by walking down the buffet line one last time. If every item offered causes a barf reflex on sight, no matter how much I enjoyed the first three helpings, I know I'm full, probably beyond full. I apply the same test to the Woodcraft catalog, thus saving myself a trip to the store many months. I do the same on Craigslist and find that I can be much more discriminating when I see a tool I think I might want to buy. Just yesterday, I did my walk around the Harbor Freight store and discovered - I'm not done! Although nothing there is on my must-have list, there are several items on my someday list: shear, press, brake and slip roll, plasma cutter, roller bearings for an outfeed table for a bandsaw sled, etc.

Lee, retirement doesn't make a bit of difference. I started using my tools for the home remodel thing about three years ago and I still see three years ahead before I even hope to see light at the end of the tunnel! And now there is talk about starting a remodel at our daughter's house.

It may be true there is no bottom to the vortex for those who wish to continue the downward spiral, but if your heart is telling you to go make some shavings, I would suggest you do that. If a need is there, it will become apparent as you work. Meanwhile, there is no harm in visiting the buffet that is Craigslist on your lunch break. Enjoy life, whether that means buying tools or turning wood or both.

Don Bunce
02-11-2014, 4:46 PM
I seem to be spending more time setting up the shop, acquiring more tools, etc, than getting any woodworking done.

It seems as the more tools I have, the less I get done... I got the 3520b in Dec, I have only turned one bowl so far...

I need to run a 220V line for it, want to make a steady rest for it, am working on a Monster type hollower,(stuck now because I can't find my 4 jaw chuck key to bore the tool holder) need to make an adaptor to mount my Delta cross slide on the Powermatic, etc, etc, etc, etc, ........

Here's my latest detour......

robert baccus
02-11-2014, 10:24 PM
Let me guess---it turns propeller shafts for a battleship-right?

Don Bunce
02-12-2014, 12:12 AM
Well, maybe a small battleship... Actually, it is an oval chuck I picked up on Ebay a few years ago. It has a 2 3/8" x 8 thread, so I had to make an adaptor to fit the PM. The nose was also 2 3/8", so I turned it down to 1 1/2" x 8 to fit my South Bend lathe face plates. I also had to make the bracket to mount it to the lathe. Still have a few fiddley bits to deal with to get it running properly, plus make a cover to prevent throwing oil everywhere... The fun never stops....

charlie knighton
02-12-2014, 10:36 AM
who made your oval chuck?????

Don Bunce
02-12-2014, 5:32 PM
It was made by H J Ruesch Machine Co. 401-411 Mulberry St. Newark N J

It has the number 3745 on it, don't know if that is a model no or date code...

I haven't been able to find any info about the company or the chuck, if anyone knows anything more, that would be great.

It has a 1" offset, so the max differential is 2".