PDA

View Full Version : Help redesigning this lower guide?

Tai Fu
02-07-2014, 11:19 AM
I need help redesigning this lower guide... just ideas and stuff. I will need to draw something up on a CAD software.

This is the original guide:

I need to redesign them so that it is easier to use and provides better support for wider blades (the guide as is can't support anything bigger than a 1/2" blade while the upper guide can support a full 1" blade). Also where the slot is there is supposed to be a M6 hex bolt that you are supposed to loosen in order to move the lower guide back and forward, however in the saw the trunnion make the space extremely tight and it isn't possible to move a wrench in there at all. I replaced it with an allen bolt but it still doesn't solve anything, because the thrust bearing bar gets in the way making any real adjustment impossible.

What I would like to do is somehow turn the guide over 90 degrees, but only the lower portion. I can then mount a wingnut so adjustment can be easily done. However the problem is I cannot make the guide any larger than the existing one, because there is about 3" of clearance between the table and the frame, and the angle is there so the table can actually tilt. I think the guide block could possibly be replaced with bearing guides.

I can lose the lower mounting plate and integrate it into the whole guide unit, this would add about 3/8" of space (it does not seem like much but it makes a huge difference).

Any ideas?

Please note I'm not asking if I can modify the existing guide. I will not do anything to the existing guide but I want to engineer a new guide for the bandsaw that fits that frame/table configuration, that is much easier to use and does a better job of being a guide. If this works, I might be able to move onto the upper guide and see if I can squeeze out a couple of inches of resaw height...

Lee Schierer
02-07-2014, 11:54 AM
If you can you make the black block longer and slot the two holes in it, the two bolts holding it in place might be easier to reach for your adjustment. It would also be a relatively less costly piece to have made.

Tai Fu
02-07-2014, 12:14 PM
But wouldn't that cause the guide to lose its alignment each time you loosen them to move them? The guide itself sits in a milled groove in the black piece to preserve its alignment when the guide is moved.

Tai Fu
02-07-2014, 2:13 PM
another idea I have is, create something that accepts 7/16" rods so I can fit aftermarket guides onto it, such as Carter 2300.

How does that sound?

Charles Coolidge
02-07-2014, 2:58 PM
What Tai Fu said, don't go re-inventing the wheel without a compelling reason to do so.

Lee Schierer
02-09-2014, 8:30 AM
But wouldn't that cause the guide to lose its alignment each time you loosen them to move them? The guide itself sits in a milled groove in the black piece to preserve its alignment when the guide is moved.

It depends on how much clearance there is between the bolts and the slots. If you mill the slots with a tight fit (just enough to allow movement) you shouldn't have a problem. How much play is there in the existing slot? I would just get a new black block made with a tight fit between the attaching bolts and the new slots for adjustment. It should be a pretty simple job for any machinist with a mill.