PDA

View Full Version : Toy Box Trim Help

Andrew Kertesz
02-07-2014, 5:28 AM
Let me start by apologizing for the length of my post. I am stumped and could use some advice. I probably screwed up but hope not. I started a toy box build for my grandaughter. I made the box out of 3/4" oak ply and intended on adding solid oak trim for a frame and panel look. The basic box is screwed and glued using a Kreg jig with the screw holes on the outside. I figured the oak trim would cover the holes. I have the plinth blocks installed to bring it off the floor and am ready to start adding the trim. How do I attach this without drilling more holes in the box? Should I glue and clamp and put some 23 ga. pins in it to hold it while the glue dries? My concern is if I don't use some sort of mechanical fastening at some point the trim work will just pop off down the road. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jay Jolliffe
02-07-2014, 6:05 AM
The glue should hold if you can clamp it instead of using pins that don't pull in tight like a headed brad....Can you use trim head screws from the inside into the trim pieces?

Justin Ludwig
02-07-2014, 8:41 AM
I built one like you described in 2008 when my kids were 4 & 6. I glued and 18g brad nailed from the inside. It's still together. I put it in my daughter's room before I stained and sealed it. The next day it had crayon and pen drawings all over it. :eek:

I almost got mad until she told me she was making it prettier. It's still unfinished and has the markings on it. She's 12 now and we just laugh about it because she'll still draw and paint on ANY blank medium she finds.

John A langley
02-07-2014, 9:09 AM
Andrew make your frames ,pocket screw the backs ,then apply them to the box glue and clamps would be good enough. Jon Peters has a good video on YouTube about it

Andrew Pitonyak
02-07-2014, 3:16 PM
I put it in my daughter's room before I stained and sealed it. The next day it had crayon and pen drawings all over it. :eek:

I almost got mad until she told me she was making it prettier. It's still unfinished and has the markings on it. She's 12 now and we just laugh about it because she'll still draw and paint on ANY blank medium she finds.

I made a laundry cabinet for my wife and I had the girls draw on the drawer bottoms. I then put poly on the bottoms to preserve it. So, now we can open the drawers and see the art done a few years back for each daughter along with the date that they did it.

I just finished building two cabinets that I put in my basement shop. Brought my two girls down (5 and 8) handed them some markers and let them draw pictures. Now, I have captured their art on two of my shop cabinets.