PDA

View Full Version : Dowel machine or router or ? to drill 12 5/8" holes 2.5" apart?

Mark Davis PDX
02-06-2014, 5:22 PM
I'm building a wine cellar made with ~500 drawers. Through dovetail backs. Sliding dovetail fronts, since there needs to be a 1/2" edge to cover the sliders. Accuride TR sliders. width approx 17.5" to 19.5", depth around 30", height 2.5"-ish (1x3) Each drawer holds 11-12 bottles.

Each drawer needs to have ~12 dowels running across the width (~16"), terminating into 1x3..with 1/2" deep slots filling the depth of the 1x3. the dowels hold the wine bottles horizontally.

Somewhat like these (but better :)): http://revelcellars.com/gallery-residential

Anyway, I'm searching for a really fast way to drill the 30" long 1x3 with 11-12 dowel holes. 1/2" or 5/8" dowels, 1/2" deep. IDEAS?

I'm familiar with the Felder FD921 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IvznRvSsEU I have no idea what this costs, but it's probably outrageous -- I have a bunch of Felder equipment already, but I'm not crazy enough to buy this machine for one project.

Ideas so far:
1. I was initially planning to just use my drill press (new Delta) with some sort of template.
2. Suspect I could use the 32mm hole stops from Festool routers and skip every other hole and just use that? 2.5" is about right for me. http://festoolusa.com/media/pdf/32mm_System_and_the_Festool_Hole_Guide.PDF
3. Felder FD921 would probably be ideal, but at a high cost.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks, -mark

Loren Woirhaye
02-06-2014, 5:31 PM
Pin router with a 5/8" end cutting bit (mortising bit) and pneumatic plunge. You should be able to find one used for less than $1000. I use a Delta/Invicta RU50, which has the advantage of being relatively small for a pin router. A template goes underneath the work piece to position the holes.

An line boring machine can be used to drill holes on 64mm centers, which is about 2.6". I think a 23 spindle machine could drill 12 holes and those are relatively common. Again, the plunge is pneumatic. Boring machines are pretty spendy new and used ones are often priced on the high side. I got a Maggi 23 spindle construction drill in an online auction. I've bought a couple this way and paid around $75 per spindle I think. The first was a 35 spindle machine which was just too much machine for my space, so when I found the 23 spindle machine I got rid of it.

Andrew Gold
02-06-2014, 5:53 PM
Mark
Is this something you're making for a one off project, or are you developing something like a new product line?

If it's a one off, I would lean towards simply using a drill press. It would clearly be time consuming, but if you set a fence, and drill all the boards with a stop for the first position then move along to the next etc, I would think would have no issues with repeatability etc.

Assuming your PDX means you're in Portland, you could also see about contacting one of the shops that has a line boring machine and see what they might charge to do this portion of your build for you. I might know a couple shops to at least check with.

Mark Davis PDX
02-06-2014, 6:39 PM
Thanks Andrew - I think we post on the same wine forums.

I'm in PDX. This is for my personal wine cellar. Had no idea there were folks w/line boring machines - could be interesting...

-mark

Andrew Gold
02-06-2014, 6:49 PM
It's a small world of forums and all!

I'll send a PM with a couple shops to try.

Jamie Buxton
02-06-2014, 8:57 PM
Find somebody with a CNC router.

Mark Davis PDX
02-07-2014, 1:06 PM
Yeah, look like the options are:

1. Festool 32mm + router + jig to hold pieces
2. Drill press
3. CNC <--- may be the best option, but I'm not sure I have other uses...not really into signs, etc...Dovetail w/CNC seems to be a PITA. With that said, I've spent some time looking at Stinger I/II and Shopbots.
4. Boring machine <--- a bit overkill and not versatile enough for me for other projects.

-mark

Loren Woirhaye
02-07-2014, 1:17 PM
It would take about 45 seconds per drawer side on a pin router. Maybe faster with practice.

Jamie Buxton
02-07-2014, 10:16 PM
.. CNC <--- may be the best option, but I'm not sure I have other uses.....

Don't buy a whole CDC router for this one project. Find somebody who has the machine, and pay him to bore all your zillions of holes. CNC routers are not uncommon in cabinet shops. You might find somebody by asking in SMC's CNC forum. Or I believe Shop Bot has a database or a bulletin board or something to provide leads for folks who need some CNCing done.

Thomas Hotchkin
02-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Mark
I would use something like Norm Abram shelf pin jig. Router and guide bushing, my set has a 3/4" bushing and with a 1/2" router bit, you could have your 1/2" holes. Tom lumberjocks.com/projects/62967