PDA

View Full Version : Six Hour Router Table Build

Rich Riddle
02-06-2014, 5:21 PM
I cheated and purchased an Incra #3 because the thought of spending two or three weeks building a router table proved unappealing to say the least. A couple of side notes.

1. It's a tool and built as one, not like a piece of fine furniture. The entire assembly is from scrap, inconsistent scrap.
2. It can be entirely disassembled simply by removing screws.
3. I cheated and used a pocket hole jig (Harbor Freight model) to make the face frame and doors.
4. Simply use 1/2" plywood to put in the "slots" the aluminum frame provides.
5. Your times may vary depending on how mechanical you are at assembling metal parts.

Here are a few of the build pictures:

281835 281836 281837

One of the Clean Sweep Dust system. When not collected to the dust collector the Clean Sweep door must be lowered. Since it is in a cabinet, I made a bar devise to attach the back. If the router ever needs to be removed, it can be done from the inside. Other wise, the top would have to be removed every time you removed the router. In order to factor in that the Clean Sweep door must be lowered, I hinged the upper panel of the main door so it too could be lowered.

281838 281839

The main photos of the completed router table:

281840 281841 281842

The 50' electric cord was recycled from an inexpensive and broken power sprayer. There is an outlet next to the service entry with one plug hot and the other switched with the router. An easy thing to wire in when you are having to install electric.

Hardware was recycled from the condominium renovations. No need for new hardware.

Rich Riddle
02-06-2014, 5:23 PM
In this photograph you can see the power switch as well as the Wixey digital height indicator. That will only take about ten minutes for you to install.

Duane Meadows
02-06-2014, 7:42 PM
Nice job, Rich. I am sure you will enjoy the Incra,and the table.

Bill McNiel
02-07-2014, 1:07 PM
Rich,
Nice post, nice clean solution. I fully agree that shop stands/cabinets are just tools although I get the feeling that some people use them to develope/hone techniques. Sometimes they get so carried away with fine joinery that wonder if they ever build anything other than shop fixtures. Maybe I'm just jealous that I have so little time to work on my shop as opposed to commissions (but they pay the bills).

Andrew Pitonyak
02-07-2014, 2:59 PM
nice / impressive!

David Nelson1
02-07-2014, 3:39 PM
I like it !!

Rich Riddle
02-07-2014, 4:02 PM
An e-mail asked about the size of the panels, etc. Here are the sizes.

Use Real 1/2" hardwood plywood
15 3/4" (W) x 28 1/2" (H) - Two narrow "side panels"
33 3/4" (W) x 28 1/2" (H) - "Back" panel
16 3/4" (W) x 28" (H) - One narrow "middle panel" stands vertically between two side panels and is situated between the doors. You see this panel in the first couple of photographs. Its size varies slightly depending on the size of the dado grooves you make in the back panel, floor, and face frame. Slightly crown the top so that there is a slight crown to support the MDF table top.
Floor cut to fit between vertical panels, so you will need to measure after the vertical panels are in place.

33 3/4" (W) x 28 1/2" (H) - Vary the width of the face frame to your needs. Mine is 2" (exposed) wide.
11" (W) x 23 1/8" (H) - Large door on left side.
2" (H) Middle Stile
1" (H) Rails between drawers and little door.
3" drawers (Top Two Drawers) calculate width from the area remaining after assembling your face frame. This unit's are about 15 1/2" wide.
4 1/2" lower drawer - again get the width from the area remaining after assembling your face frame. This unit's is about 15 1/2" wide.
Small door - cut to size based upon your final measurements.

Hope this helps.

Jerry Olexa
02-07-2014, 7:40 PM
Very good and FAST!!!!!

Andrew Kertesz
02-07-2014, 7:51 PM
How well does the dust system work. They came out after I bought my package.

Rich Riddle
02-07-2014, 8:41 PM
How well does the dust system work. They came out after I bought my package.It works incredibly well. You have to get the rings along with the unit. It pulls down about 90% or more of the dust created.

Dick Mahany
02-07-2014, 9:04 PM
Rich, yes you cheated, but you did a first class job! I built a Norm V2 style router table without plans using only visual cues from his broadcast. I had incredible fun modifying his well thought out table to suit my needs, but it did indeed take a few weekends t get done. Your solution is very well executed and my hat's off to you. Thanks for the great pics!

Troy Turner
02-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Nice build. That's next on my things to do. I'm kind of like you. Since it's going to be a piece of shop machinery, I'm going to use as many scraps as I can find. I've already go a top that was the top of an old modular desk. Going to add the Incra parts and call it a day.