PDA

View Full Version : Installing Wixey on Router Lift

Rich Riddle
02-06-2014, 3:29 PM
I installed a Wixey digital height indicator on a Incra Mast-R-Lift. The documentation left about everything to be desired. The router lift in the drawings in no way resembled what any router lift I have seen looks like. Figured it was an easy thing to photograph the job. It only takes about five or ten minutes if you can figure out the directions.

1. The parts. They can be installed one of two ways, but this is the primary one.

2. Unit assembled. Took five seconds.

Note: The base of the Incra was already tapped for 1/4" fine threads, so I enlarged the hole of the L bracket that attached to the base. If your router lift is not tapped, you will have to drill the base and thread it with the drill bit and self-tapping bolt included.

3. Temporarily install the unit to the base to determine where to drill your router lift for the cross-piece. You are going to make one included bar (they give you three) into an L bracket. Where you bend it depends upon your lift. The Incra's was bent at about the 3/4" mark.

4. Compare the sending unit height to the height to the router lift mechanism height in both the fully retracted and fully extended positions. You are looking for a point where one of the silver arms can be "attached" to the support member of he router lift itself. In picture 4, the support member is the thick black horizontal piece that moves with the router lift.

5. After you determine what point will intersect well, you remove the main unit so you can drill the black member, like here.

6. After drilling the main unit, you attach the bar you bent to the support arm. On the other end you place the rare earth magnet so that it will ride up and down on one of the "finger extensions" of the main unit.

7. Reattach the Wixey main unit and adjust as needed.

The rest is simply running the CAT-5 cable to the main unit and out to the indicator. You screw the indicator onto the router table at a location of your choice. Lastly, the calibration begins.

It took far longer to write this post than to attach this unit, but I had to figure out what "direction 2" meant. That took longer than the rest of the process all together. Perhaps most of you are quicker on the uptake.

james glenn
02-06-2014, 4:36 PM
The little tutorial is much appreciated. I am awaiting the delivery of a Jessem Mast-R-Lift ii and already have the Wixey guage ready to put on it. This will be a helpful reference and save me some yelling and cussing at the directions. I might even have a couple questions.

Thanks for taking the time.

Jimmy

Rich Riddle
02-06-2014, 4:49 PM
James,

Feel free to ask any questions. As you likely know the Jessem Mast-R-Lift II and the Incra Mast-R-Lift II are both made by Jeessem and fairly identical on the bottom. You can also place your Wixey in one of the already tapped holes in the Jessem plate. I used an allen bolt to attach the Incra and Wixey. works great. Whoever wrote those directions and drew the pictures on that Wixey should be ......

Michael Mayo
02-06-2014, 9:59 PM
I too just installed a Wixey DRO on my Incra Master Lift II and it was as stated very easy and quick. It was significantly easier than retrofitting the Wixey DRO on my Delta 15" planer which still doesn't work properly and basically is useless on my particular planer. I have a bunch of Wixey stuff and the planer DRO has been the only dud for me. It just wasn't designed originally for a heavy duty planer it was meant for a lunchbox planer. They have a new one that looks much more beefy that would probably work much better but at this point I am not planning on getting another one.