PDA

View Full Version : Happy Coincidence

Paul Williams
02-06-2014, 3:01 PM
I would like to say I planned it, but the truth is I didn't notice that the stripes on the KOA insert and the body of the box could be lined up until I was gluing the insert to the top. The photos do not do justice to the color of the KOA. There is a lot of contrast between the KOA and the walnut. Also the KOA has a gloss finish and the walnut a satin finish. This piece, a KOA pen, and bamboo pen are going to my cousin on Maui who has been supplying me with lots of interesting pieces of wood.

Dick Mahany
02-06-2014, 8:30 PM
That is a beautiful box Paul. The insert is a very clever way to offset the end grain and adds great interest. I have built a few picture frames from koa but have never turned it. Can you share any comments on what koa is like to turn?

Paul Williams
02-06-2014, 11:47 PM
Dick, it turns easily and so far I have not had problems with chip out or anything that required a lot of sanding. What I don't understand is how to get the most color out of the grain. The disk in the center of the box has a lot of grin and a lot of color. It is the center I cut out of bangle. The bangle ha very little grain and no color. Apparently koa needs a certain amount of fairly flat or slightly curved surface area to show its true colors. I turned a pen out of the same piece of wood. It looks ok but is very plain straight grained mono-colored. My cousin sent some larger pieces in the latest box. In am looking forward to seeing at happens with color and figure on different shapes.

Marc Himes
02-07-2014, 9:23 AM
Very nice Box Paul. Lovely grain in the wood.

Paul Engle
02-07-2014, 12:16 PM
I like 'em. The Koa is finicky it seems about showing off its color/s . nice work though Paul