PDA

View Full Version : Mini live center for finials ?

Dick Mahany
02-06-2014, 12:16 PM
The most recent issue of the AAW American Woodturner has a detailed article on turning finials. The author describes making a mini live center for support. I'd like to know from the experts here whether you use this technique when turning finials. I'm looking to get started at turning a few and would welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Scott Hackler
02-06-2014, 12:34 PM
I do not use a Mini Live center for finials. I do have the regular live center on the blank until it has been rounded and the tip feature detail and part of the top shaft has been mostly formed. Basically it's only there until I start to really work down the diameter. If you use opposite support with your left hand, it is not necessary for tail stock support. I only use mine because I get pretty aggressive when rounding and reducing the stock. Once the finesse starts, it's all about technique and opposite hand support.

Dennis Nagle
02-06-2014, 12:45 PM
A friend uses a chuck on his tailstock and that keeps the wood in tension. The bounce and wiggle are kept to a minimum and he can turn much thinner.

Dennis Ford
02-06-2014, 1:37 PM
I don't use a tail-stock for finials. I start at the free end and work toward the chuck.

charlie knighton
02-06-2014, 2:37 PM
i like the articule on finals, and plan to use it the next time i make a final. i have recently bought a mini live center, have not used it on finals but plan to try. MultiStar live center. Bruce Hoover (The Sanding Glove) sells them. that is what i bought and its small size is very useful for my type of turning.

John Keeton
02-06-2014, 3:11 PM
I do exactly as Scott describes! I have not yet read the article, so I can't comment on the proposed method. But, once detail shaping starts taking place, for my style of turning a finial, tailstock pressure would be a detriment.

Dick Mahany
02-06-2014, 7:39 PM
Thank you all for the quick and helpful replies. I decided to have a go at making one and I used the free-hand method. I made the one below out of a piece of holly ( 5"H x 1.4"W ) after reading another thread on preferred woods and that holly turned very nicely. As you can see, I have a long way to go on design and execution. The flame tip and the saucer just below it actually looked better, but I managed to goober it up on that famous "one last cut". I managed to sort of save it and it was a great learning experience. Now its time for practice, practice and more practice. I'm just happy that I got it off the lathe in one piece :D. Thanks much.

charlie knighton
02-06-2014, 7:49 PM
very nice, Dick........espically since that was your first.......hope to see many more

robert baccus
02-06-2014, 10:49 PM
Depending on the wood size a fullsized chuck or a drill chuck with a #2 taper work well.

Jim Underwood
02-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Most folks I know don't bother with the mini live center. You notice in the article that he only used it until the smallest part was sized to diameter, then it was removed.

Reed Gray
02-07-2014, 10:23 AM
I have to read the article again, only skimmed through it last night. Part of what I liked was all the different ones he had for show and tell. It is one of the areas of turning that I have wanted to sink into, but don't have the instincts for like I do for bowls.

robo hippy