PDA

View Full Version : my pin table

walter hofmann
02-06-2014, 5:01 AM
Hi all
I thought I post my version of a pin table. I started with a sheet of 1/4 inch perforated stainless steel the size of the work area . pickt it up at welder op for $ 10. the ordered 1/4inch dowel center they fit exactly the perforation holes.
it works perfect, I even can cu thin cardboard the air assist holds it down
greetings
waltfl

Dan Hintz
02-06-2014, 6:02 AM
How strong of a beam are you hitting material with? Those centering tools do not have a very high point (1/16"?), so flashback with any strong beam is likely to still mark the substrate.

walter hofmann
02-06-2014, 3:43 PM
hi dan
thy are actually 1/8 inch( 3.25mm) I item with up to 14mA on a 40W tube. flashback only comes If the base SS plate re not clean.
look at thepicture this is 150Lbcardboar just layedon the tips no fastening wthair support.
greetings
waltfl

Mike Lysov
02-07-2014, 6:02 PM
I use screwdriver heads as pins
http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/uk-diy/bosch/B0084CNHJ2DrillBits._V392069656_.jpg
They fit perfectly in honeycomb cells used in GCC lasers and they raise material 3-5mm which is more than enough to get read of any flashback at the back of material.

If you have a lathe you can make your own pins from a metal rod. I do not have it so these heads are very cheap and good solution to make pins.

Jiten Patel
02-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Hi Walter,

Are those images of the cleanest cut you can get with your table? If it is (please do not take offense), they are pretty bad with flashback. For the work I do, I would never pass that. We cut card day in, day out on a honeycomb and have zero flashback....all about power/speed balance.

walter hofmann
02-08-2014, 2:46 PM
no this are not the best clean cuts just quick taken after lots of wood cutting and like you see the SS plate was very dirty.I would lie to see one of your cuts front and back
greeting
walt

Jiten Patel
02-11-2014, 12:01 PM
Hi Walt,

Please find some pictures of card cut on a honeycomb. Front and back.
282234 282235

Mike Null
02-11-2014, 1:55 PM
Walt

There's another solution to engraving without flashback and that's to use an acrylic grid. I use one when I'm cutting clear acrylic. I elevate it 3/4" or more above the table surface so the smoke can be evacuated. I leave the paper on too.

The grid is acrylic and it's really a fluorescent light diffuser which I bought in a 24" x 48" size. It's 1/2" thick. I consider it to be a consumable.

Keith Upton
02-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Hi Walt,

Please find some pictures of card cut on a honeycomb. Front and back.
282234 282235

Is that laying directly on the vector table?

Walt

There's another solution to engraving without flashback and that's to use an acrylic grid. I use one when I'm cutting clear acrylic. I elevate it 3/4" or more above the table surface so the smoke can be evacuated. I leave the paper on too.

The grid is acrylic and it's really a fluorescent light diffuser which I bought in a 24" x 48" size. It's 1/2" thick. I consider it to be a consumable.

Good thinking about the light diffuser, I think I will give that a try.

Jiten Patel
02-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Hi Keith,

yes that is cutting directly onto the honeycomb.

Mike Null
02-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Keith

Acrylic may be a little hard to find. I had to buy it by the case.

Stay away from the polystyrene grids which are easy to find.

Keith Upton
02-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Hi Keith,

yes that is cutting directly onto the honeycomb.

I don't cut any card stock, but that looks really good.

Keith

Acrylic may be a little hard to find. I had to buy it by the case.

Stay away from the polystyrene grids which are easy to find.

Thanks for the heads up. May I ask where you order yours from?

Mike Null
02-12-2014, 2:07 PM
Keith

I'm not trying to be evasive but it was several years ago that I sold my cutting grid business and I don't have that info.

You might give these people a try. http://www.eplastics.com/Lighting_Diffusers

Keith Upton
02-12-2014, 3:10 PM
Thanks. I found theirs and have an inquiry in as to what it is made of. I've bought from them in the past as well.

Keith Upton
02-12-2014, 8:18 PM
This is what they said about that diffuser...

This material is made of acrylic/polystyrene blend. Is polystyrene laser safe?

Dave Sheldrake
02-12-2014, 9:02 PM
most styrenes are ok Keith, will depend on the formulation though. Ask them for the msds

cheers

Dave

walter hofmann
02-13-2014, 5:40 AM
hi jit
that's very good could you please post a picture of your honey comb table?
it wood be interesting to see.
greetings
waltfl

Mike Null
02-13-2014, 7:12 AM
I don't know if polystyrene is safe but will defer to Dave's experience. What I have found is that they melt easily and will ruin your work with smoke. Acrylic is far more durable and, if you don't overpower your settings, you can avoid smoke from the grid.