PDA

View Full Version : Wrong number

Stephen Smith Sr
02-06-2014, 2:32 AM
Is there anything worse than getting a call late at night only to find it's a wrong number? This has happened 2 nights in row from the the same number, calling my wife's cell phone around midnight. When she picks up there is no response. So here I am 2 1/2 hours later cruising the Creek. Don't get me wrong, I love doing that, just not when I am supposed to be snoozing! When I was younger this would have only been annoying. Now it turns into sleep deprivation. Time to block a phone number!

Jerome Stanek
02-06-2014, 6:29 AM
There is a scam going around that your phone will only ring once and if you call back there is a large charge put on your phone bill.

Jerry Thompson
02-06-2014, 6:52 AM
Shut it off @ night.

John Coloccia
02-06-2014, 7:26 AM
I had an interesting one when we first moved back east from California. This lady called my wife's cell phone, and with a very thick accent, accused her of having an affair with her husband. She kept demanding to talk with the husband. No amount of logic or reason would work with her. I got on the phone several times and tried explaining to her that she had the wrong number, and we live in Conencticut, not California. She wasn't buying it. I don't know who she may have thought the other guy was, and what we were doing, but anyway...

This went on for a while. Every couple of days, we'd get a call, and she really started harassing my wife....yelling at her, threatening her. That lady was just incredibly nasty. I don't blame her husband. Anyhow, it went from very funny, to mildly amusing, to really bothersome. I finally lost my patience one day and when she called I picked up the phone and said, "I know who you are and where you live. Your husband told me everything. If you ever call this phone number again, I'm calling ICE on you." I could say it, and by gum I did.

The phone calls stopped immediately.

Joe Tilson
02-06-2014, 8:04 AM
Here are the area codes these calls come from that will cost you. U.S. area codes: 473,809,282,649,876. International area codes: 242,246,264,268,284,345,441,664,758,767,784,809,82 9,868,869. Like Jerome said above, your phone will ring one time, and when you call back, you get a lot of charges to your phone bill.

Ole Anderson
02-06-2014, 8:48 AM
Saw an article on the scam just this morning: http://www.freep.com/article/20140206/COL07/302060028/

Rick Moyer
02-06-2014, 8:54 AM
I never answer an unknown number. Neither will I call back an unknown number. Either it wasn't important enough for them to leave a message or, more likely, it was a misdirected call in the first place.

Myk Rian
02-06-2014, 10:26 AM
If you have a smart phone, install Call Control. It's a web database that has those numbers/area codes already programmed to reject.
You can also make your own Blacklist, and Whitelist. It will allow any number in your contact list to ring through.

glenn bradley
02-06-2014, 10:37 AM
There is a scam going around that your phone will only ring once and if you call back there is a large charge put on your phone bill.

Here are the area codes these calls come from that will cost you. U.S. area codes: 473,809,282,649,876. International area codes: 242,246,264,268,284,345,441,664,758,767,784,809,82 9,868,869. Like Jerome said above, your phone will ring one time, and when you call back, you get a lot of charges to your phone bill.

Seriously, in this day and age do people really call back a number that they don't recognize or can't verify? Don't do that. Oh, and don't open email from some disenfranchised prince in Nubia who needs help reclaiming his lost millions either. Modern world full of modern problems.

Matt Meiser
02-06-2014, 10:49 AM
IOS7 on the iPhone will let you block a number now--daughter showed me how. :rolleyes:

Also, don't know about other carriers but Verizon lets you block a number for 90 days online.

Stephen Smith Sr
02-06-2014, 4:02 PM
Just realized this morning that the person left a message and clearly thinks they have the correct number. Personally I don't care at midnight that "Crystal is now back in Alabama from Florida". We did not try and answer it last night, but my wife did try to the night before and nobody responded. Anyway, she blocked the number this morning. We could have shut the phone off but we have a daughter that is only weeks away from having their first baby (so the wife would never go for that idea!). I'm hoping for a good night sleep tonight. Boy am I ready!

Frederick Skelly
02-06-2014, 9:15 PM
If you have a smart phone, install Call Control. It's a web database that has those numbers/area codes already programmed to reject.
You can also make your own Blacklist, and Whitelist. It will allow any number in your contact list to ring through.

I have that app too. Its good.

Brian Ashton
02-07-2014, 3:07 AM
Is there anything worse than getting a call late at night only to find it's a wrong number? This has happened 2 nights in row from the the same number, calling my wife's cell phone around midnight. When she picks up there is no response. So here I am 2 1/2 hours later cruising the Creek. Don't get me wrong, I love doing that, just not when I am supposed to be snoozing! When I was younger this would have only been annoying. Now it turns into sleep deprivation. Time to block a phone number!

If she has an android phone she can block the number

Shawn Pixley
02-07-2014, 11:27 AM
It can be very annoying. When we get the mystery calls (wrong number), it is almost always that they dialed only the 7 digit number (no area code) but have their mobile in our area code. They are mostly clueless about why it doesn't work. I feel bad about the VM's looking for road help. I am curious why the would leave a VM when my message has my name clearly enunciated on it....

Brian Elfert
02-07-2014, 11:36 AM
My work number is one digit off from one of the police precincts. A few times a year I get calls for the police, mostly on voice mail. Does anyone really think a police precinct would have voice mail on their main line? I would hope it rolls over to dispatch if not answered. I've had people leave voice mails when they needed an officer. Why aren't they calling 911 if they need an officer?

I am surprised it doesn't happen a lot more often, but I suppose most people don't call the police precinct directly.

Matt Meiser
02-07-2014, 11:55 AM
A guy I used to work with used to get all kinds of calls from trucking company dispatch for a guy, lets say "Bob" about a load being available for pickup. Then he got a series of calls for Bob from his mom about her being in the hospital, that they were going to release her and she needed a ride, then that she was waiting for him to pick her up. Those showed up as the number for a large hospital and he had no name they could use to track her down.

Jerome Stanek
02-07-2014, 5:39 PM
remember when there was something called a phone book. When they printed ours the unemployment number was smudged and looked like a 3 instead of an 8 and that was our number. We used to get a lot of calls most were apologetic but some were down right nasty.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
02-07-2014, 6:30 PM
Just realized this morning that the person left a message and clearly thinks they have the correct number. Personally I don't care at midnight that "Crystal is now back in Alabama from Florida". We did not try and answer it last night, but my wife did try to the night before and nobody responded. Anyway, she blocked the number this morning. We could have shut the phone off but we have a daughter that is only weeks away from having their first baby (so the wife would never go for that idea!). I'm hoping for a good night sleep tonight. Boy am I ready!

Even with older, non-smart-phones, you can set up a lot of them to ring differently for certain numbers, or sometimes even to only ring for certain numbers. Might be worth looking into.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
02-07-2014, 6:34 PM
I used to have a landline one number different from the Community Health Center - I used to get all sorts of calls from people trying to contact their doctor about something. It was sometimes even funny. I eventually put the real doctors number next to my phone so other folks answering the landline could tell them the right number, and eventually even put it on my answering machine. The long rambling messages on my answering machine, involving a fellow yelling back at his wife trying to figure out what was going on (I think he didn't realize he hadn't hung up) were hilarious. I was tempted at times to give out fake test results, but that would have been pretty mean spirited, so I didn't.

Bill Cunningham
02-08-2014, 7:32 PM
|if the number is not in my phone list, it's blocked.. Android callblocker works great