PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Finial Material?

David Brightwell
02-05-2014, 9:05 PM
What's everyone's favorite finial wood, and why? Haven't turned many, but thinking I need a few for some hollow forms.

Dennis Nagle
02-05-2014, 9:14 PM
I used Poplar (sp) because it is easy to work. Now I use whatever I think will look good.

John Keeton
02-05-2014, 9:29 PM
African Blackwood is great, but I use holly more. It turns and takes detail extremely well, sands and finishes easily and is a domestic that is available and more affordable. IMO it is limited to natural or black, as I don't feel it takes other colors well.

Josh Bowman
02-05-2014, 9:45 PM
I'm kind of cheap, and use wooden dowel rod, like from Lowes. It turns well with sharp tools and when shined up looks good. This one was colored with a magic marker. It's not the best example, since it's been laying around unmounted for several months, but you get the idea. Try it, it's at least good practice before you pull out the ebony.

charlie knighton
02-05-2014, 10:04 PM
english boxwood root is my choice, but maple and cherry work well

Curt Fuller
02-05-2014, 10:33 PM
I bought a box of these several years ago. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/1/-/2/12/-/5983/Craft-Supplies-USA-Pen-Blank-Grab-Bag Still working on it. Most any fairly dense, straight grained hard wood turns well and you can mix and match dyes and stains to get the color you're after.

Scott Hackler
02-05-2014, 11:52 PM
I am partial towards African blackwood. I bought a 70 lb bag of clarinet kick backs a few years ago and have years and years of material to keep me busy! I also like to use some of the super hard exotics like Cocobolo, Ebony and Rosewood.

Bill Bulloch
02-06-2014, 7:41 AM
Doing mostly Segmented Woodturnings I have lots of different kiln dried woods left over and I use just about all of them for my finials. My favor, though, is Holly and Bradford Pear. At the AAW Symposium in Tampa last year I picked up some Ebony blanks ( 1" diameter and 8" long) and really like them for finials, but since I only got a few, I have been using them sparingly.

Dennis Ford
02-06-2014, 9:14 AM
Any straight grained hardwood will do (harder and stronger is better). Holly is my favorite to turn and I can harvest it locally. Osage Orange, Dogwood or Hornbeam are also good if you have those.

John Keeton
02-06-2014, 10:12 AM
...At the AAW Symposium in Tampa last year I picked up some Ebony blanks ( 1" diameter and 8" long) and really like them for finials, but since I only got a few, I have been using them sparingly.I find Ebony too dusty and somewhat brittle compared to Blackwood, although it is "blacker." However, when I use Blackwood, I usually dye it black to deepen the effect yet still show some of the character of the underlying color streaks. But, overall, holly is still the go to.

bob svoboda
02-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Haven't seen Mesquite mentioned-works great and pretty affordable usually.

David Brightwell
02-06-2014, 9:48 PM
Thanks for all the info guys! Mostly turn calls, so would be difficult to turn a piece of ABW, but will have to try the rosewood idea. I have a good Holly supplier, so that is a great suggestion.
I have some DIW that has some inclusions that will require casting.. perhaps I'll give a piece a try. Anyone tried any?

gary jarvis
02-07-2014, 1:46 AM
Out of the commonly found woods here Bradford Pear is the best I've found to use. Sometimes either dye it black or use black spray lacquer.

Reed Gray
02-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Well, if you have it, Mountain Mahogany is pretty nice as well. Hard to find anything straight, but excellent grain.

robo hippy

Steve Mellott
02-07-2014, 1:41 PM
Bradford pear is my #1 choice for finials.