PDA

View Full Version : Difference between MiniMax L 55 and L 55N

Bill Orbine
02-05-2014, 9:02 PM
Wondering if anyone on this forum knows the difference between a MiniMax L 55 stroke sander AND a MiniMax L 55N stroke sander? Seems that I'm coming up with the two types of models being identical without so much a difference. Is there a difference?

Loren Woirhaye
02-05-2014, 9:06 PM
Belt length.

It is possible they are the same machine. There is a considerable range of adjustment on the idler pully may account for the 8" belt length difference. The manual for the L55N is considerably friendlier and dimensions are imperial so I reckon it's a machine for the American market.

David Kumm
02-05-2014, 9:11 PM
You can look up the parts manual for both on partspronto.com. Might tell you the differences or make you blind trying to read them. Dave

Loren Woirhaye
02-05-2014, 9:19 PM
You can download the pdf manuals to each. The specifications actually don't make much sense as the one with the shorter belt spec has a longer work table spec. I'd let price, distance and condition be your deciding factors. It's a capable machine. Mine had a manufacturing defect which required some welding to correct. I attribute this to a clueless welder in the factory. If the one you get doesn't seem right, I'll tell you what the problem was and how to fix it.

Rich Riddle
02-05-2014, 9:49 PM
Erik will likely be able to tell you the differences when he reads this thread. He's quite informative.

Erik Loza
02-05-2014, 10:21 PM
You know, I must confess that I do not know at this moment. We sell two variants of the stroke sander these days (2,500mm and 3,000mm) that are mechanically identical except for table size but I honestly have little firsthand experience with the older versions. It's such a niche machine and every one I sell (which is only a handful each year...) all seem to end up in metal working shops, not in the woodworking. Like all the older machines, I direct folks to Partspronto.com for manuals and so forth.

Sorry I cannot help more.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Bill Orbine
02-06-2014, 9:50 AM
Thanks for your inputs. I have been able to downloads manuals for both the L55 and the L55N. As Loren stated, the table lengths seems to be different as well as the belt sizes. It's odd the longer table on the L55 uses a shorter belt as oppose to the L55N has a shorter table and longer belt. There is one other spec that catches my attention. The L55 specs show 120mm for belt width (just under 4 3/4") while the L55N shows 6" belt width. Perhaps SCMI/Minimax introduced the L55 originally and later modified the machine as L55N with a 6" belt to appeal better to the American market?

Loren Woirhaye
02-06-2014, 11:09 AM
I looked at my machine just now. It's identified as an L55. It has a platen a little under 5" wide. The idler pulley is right about 6"... probably 150mm. The height markings for table elevation are in inches.