PDA

View Full Version : Should I click?

John Coloccia
02-05-2014, 1:31 PM
Your online security is important to us. That is why we are committed to safeguarding your personal information to keep it secure and confidential.

We detected irregular activity on your Bank of America online on 05/02/2014. For your protection, online banking has been locked because the number of attempts to sign in exceeded the number allowed.
We are sorry to inform you that your online account has been temporarily locked after too many unsuccessful login attempts was made.
Unfortunately, if we do not hear from you, certain limitations may be placed on your account.

To strengthen the security measures protecting your account, we have added additional security. will review and verify the activity on your account with you and take necessary steps to protect your account from fraud.

Please find attached file above, download the above secure form, and follow the instruction on your screen

All transactions are backed by our Online Banking Security Guarantee.

Bank of America, N.A. Member FDIC.
© 2014 Bank of America Corporation. All rights reserved.

They're getting better, but there's still a detail off here and there...

Jerry Thompson
02-05-2014, 1:40 PM
From the date they must be clairvoyant. I would contact the bank and otherwise stay clear of this.

Mike McCann
02-05-2014, 1:44 PM
that is the european way of writing a date.

but it is a scam

John Coloccia
02-05-2014, 2:05 PM
that is the european way of writing a date.

but it is a scam

Bingo. I was wondering who be the first to figure out that the date was right, but in the wrong format. Made for a good giggle on my end, though.

They're ALWAYS scams, Mike. Always always always always...

Raymond Fries
02-05-2014, 2:32 PM
If you mouse over the link a flag will pop us showing the URL the link points to. If it a scam, the URL will be different that where they want you to think it came from. Just me careful not to click.

Brian Tymchak
02-05-2014, 2:37 PM
I've received about a 1/2 dozen notices in the last week (on both email accounts) that I've won $600,000 (US). Who hoo!!!

Hard to believe they still try that scam. I guess there are still enough gullible people that buy into it to keep them going..

I suspect that these clowns are somehow monitoring Linked In as I started a profile there a couple weeks ago.

ray hampton
02-05-2014, 3:25 PM
I believe that Canada use this date format

ray hampton
02-05-2014, 3:27 PM
If this scam company were smart ,they would stop before some one catch them

Rick Potter
02-05-2014, 5:41 PM
I got one like it, but even I could figure out it was a scam....since I don't have a Bank of America account.

Brian Ashton
02-05-2014, 6:20 PM
I've received about a 1/2 dozen notices in the last week (on both email accounts) that I've won $600,000 (US). Who hoo!!!

Hard to believe they still try that scam. I guess there are still enough gullible people that buy into it to keep them going..

I suspect that these clowns are somehow monitoring Linked In as I started a profile there a couple weeks ago.

I was listening to a radio interview by the head of the queensland police fraud dept and he was saying, australians are being sucked in to the tune of over $70,000,000/year; and that's only what's reported. When you consider there are only about 7,000,000 people in this country in a position where they could actually act on a scam that's a lot of suckers, especially when you consider these scams are so well known... He was saying it's so bad that the police dept maintains an office in nigeria for the purpose of trying to get back some of the money... You can tell by the emails that the scammers are on a fishing expedition but here it appears they're in full harvest mode.

I knew a guy that had bought the tickets and was all set to head over to nigeria; he was convinced he was going to be building schools... He was so fooled he got an old rich spinster involved to finance it and she was heading over with him! He was finally convinced to scrap it when a bunch of us convinced him that he'd at the very least be kidnapped and held for ransom and at worst killed if he went over there. And it all started with one of those emails Dear Ser/Midam (Spelling intentional)...

Tony Joyce
02-05-2014, 6:31 PM
Same here, got one just like it today. No BoA account. My ISP had flagged it as having a virus. Spam/Scam.

Bill Cunningham
02-08-2014, 8:08 PM
Sometimes I get as many as 12-15 in a single day.. If it were true, and your account was locked, just use your regular log on (Not the one in the email..ha..) and you will know pretty quick.. I get dozens asking for 'my product'?? They all identify themselves as "Mr." so and so..Have you 'ever' identified your self with a 'title'? I doubt it.. They always ask what kind of credit cards you accept, and almost always have their own shipping company to pick it up.. How many here have got the recent one that just had the subject "MAIL" I got 25 in one day before I managed to block him at the server..

Deacon Hayes
02-09-2014, 7:40 PM
This winter, while holed up, because of the weather, I have had time to get the mail. This normally is the wife or daughters "job" but I needed to do something to keep limber after working in the shop. I noticed that we were getting a lot of "offers" from distant places that required certain payments. If they included a no postage needed return envelope, I would tape the letter to a properly sized 2x 4 and send it back to them. The folks at the USPS said they are required to deliver it.

Chuck Wintle
02-10-2014, 2:21 PM
They're getting better, but there's still a detail off here and there...

My philosophy is to delete first and ask questions later. :D if I need to prove to myself that my account is locked or there is a problem then just go to the proper site and login normally. But they are getting better at it and for sure someone will be sucked in to the scam. Its only a matter of time.