PDA

View Full Version : Inlaid/Embedded ADA signs

Chad Cox
02-05-2014, 11:46 AM
I searched and couldn't find anything on this topic. A customer is requesting ADA sign with the raised lettering embedded so they are less prone to vandalism. I have made these by cutting the copy out of 1/16" acrylic and cutting out a 1/32" layer to lay over it. It works but is very time consuming. I am using rotary engravers. Has anyone ever done this type of signs before?

Thank you,

Chad Cox

Dan Hintz
02-05-2014, 3:06 PM
One possible work-around... make the sign with a 1/16" face glued on. Instead of routing out the entire letter, you only have to route out the outline of the letter, then insert a 1/8" piece as you did before. (or if it works as well, your original 1/32" face and 1/16" letters)

Mark Sipes
02-05-2014, 5:09 PM
Where are you located???? This may be a time to seek a partnership with a laser hobbist ( is this even a word) . The time it will take you to double cut the letters plus attempt to get the sizes right so the fit together without looking loose will be worth the $$ to sub it out.......The customer is asking for a process out of the ordinary ( not an ADA requirement) except for the letter height of 1/32.

I just tried the double cut on my Newing Hall one letter took 20 minutes. That is with a cutter modified to .003 Parallel cut with an Exterior cut on the letters and a center line cut on the overlay. Then you have to glue all the letters and drop outs back in place.

a laser can have that all done in 2 vector passes maybe 5 minutes per sign. less the gluing

Paul Phillips
02-05-2014, 6:24 PM
Another method we use is to put the Rowmark letters onto the pre-sanded Acrylic backer, then paint with a Polyurethane paint, then silk screen the color onto the letters (called "tipping"), the paint helps secure the letters.

Mark Sipes
02-05-2014, 7:08 PM
The next step past screen printing http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5gjdimeokA4

Paul Phillips
02-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Mark, PP is a great method to use but costs about $30k for the large unit. I used to run a Jet USA large format, the material is pretty expensive especially for the exterior grade. It also takes much longer to produce one sign, laser is much faster IMO.