PDA

View Full Version : turning roots

Jim Colombo
02-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Are roots good for turning? Has anyone tried turning them?

Brian Kent
02-05-2014, 12:07 PM
I have turned a couple of root balls. All the dirt was knocked off or hosed off. It was a holy bowl (full of holes and gaps). I did not get a lot of satisfaction because those are not my favorite styles of turnings. But if I could turn a root ball that was cohesive, I would do it again. I love twisty grain.

Scott Hackler
02-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Jim, roots and such can and do have very cool grain patterns. The only big problem is the possibility of a rock embedded in the root. Just hollow it out very carefully and stop regularly to inspect for signs of rocks and such.

Dale Miner
02-05-2014, 12:53 PM
I've turned several root balls from yew (taxus) bushes, and the battle with the dirt and stones is worth doing. Also, turned a fairly large hollw form from a white oak stump that was about 1/3 root material. The oak cracked in several places, but the contrast between root material and the heartwood of the stump was very interesting. That piece was claimed by my better half and resides on the kitchen counter. I pulled a fairly large gold coast juniper from our landscaping, ang gave the root ball from that to another turner. He turned it, but is was so plain that it was not worthwhile.

I guess the species has a lot to do with the results.

Here is a pic of the yew.

Brian Kent
02-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Dale, while that style usually is not my cup of tea, I really like the Yew form. Very beautiful result.

curtis rosche
02-05-2014, 1:00 PM
Cherry has a very cool grain in its roots

Jim Colombo
02-05-2014, 1:09 PM
Thanks Guys

Jim

jared parson
02-05-2014, 5:43 PM
Roots can hold some of the most beautiful figure wood has to offer. I have also turned some Yew root which yielded amazing grain patterns, eyes, and colors ranging from bright white, orange, brown, to purple all within the same piece. Nice piece Dale! Here is a recent spindle I turned from a small piece of maple root found laying in a yard after the stump had been ground. Definitely beware the foreign objects that you are likely to encounter.

Thomas Canfield
02-05-2014, 9:25 PM
I picked up a large section of Pecan root at SWAT in Waco about 3 or 4 years back that was cheap but turned out to be a nice find. The root had a different texture but made a nice platter shape. I am sitting looking at a 19"D x 12"H root ball hollow/bowl form turned from the root section (5 roots) of an Elm tree and would gladly turn it again. You do need to watch out for the dirt and possible rocks, and the wood seems to have more abrasives in the grain. Go for it.

charlie knighton
02-05-2014, 10:08 PM
if ya get a chance for english boxwood root get it