PDA

View Full Version : LED Question

Matt Meiser
02-05-2014, 8:41 AM
Did some googling on this but everything I find refers to using a microcontroller to create "custom" LED colors. Surely someone here knows. I need an LED that creates a blue-green color. The LED itself will will not be directly visible. Can I simply buy a tri-color LED and power both the blue and green leads with the appropriate resistors? Or is it necessary to only power one die at a time?

Brad Hume
02-05-2014, 9:50 AM
Yes, that is the way to do it. Typically, the LED datasheet will specify a lower maximum current when all the dies are active, or some similar total power dissipation limitation.

Myk Rian
02-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Yes, that is the way to do it.
Which way?

Benoit Rochon
02-05-2014, 12:46 PM
RGB led with the proper resitance on the legs should do it. Make sure that your voltage is low.

Depending on the projet, it can be fun to go with a microcontroller like an Arduino and plug LED modules like a NeoPixel. Check on adafruit . com

I have one with 2 neopixel, and I plugged piezzo sensors and depending of the vibration they light up to a different color and intensity.

Dan Hintz
02-05-2014, 3:13 PM
Can I simply buy a tri-color LED and power both the blue and green leads with the appropriate resistors?

That works just fine.

I'm assuming you know how to size the resistors properly for the voltage source and current through the LEDs... if not, let me know.

Matt Meiser
02-05-2014, 3:21 PM
I did some reading ;)

Closing in on 18 years since I got me EE degree and haven't done any EE work since maybe 2 years after that.

Dick Strauss
02-06-2014, 2:23 PM
Matt,
They do have those very inexpensive color changing led strips with controller for $20-30 on amazon. They have 5 different blue-green color presets and are 5m long. I guess it depends on how long you want them to last and how intense the lighting needs to be. Some folks have had them die rather quickly while others have had very little issue.

I've contemplated installing these above our kitchen cabinets for effects lighting but haven't decided yet.

Matt Meiser
02-06-2014, 3:54 PM
I've actually got some of that for a basement hangout project for my daughter and more of the single-color white stuff coming to light under the bed cover of my truck. If I was doing my kitchen under cabinet lighting over that's what I'd use. But for this I need 2 single LED's that color.