PDA

View Full Version : Freight Forwarder Recommendation

Dan Wilhelm
02-05-2014, 7:20 AM
I have decided to import an LG500(Desk) from G.Weike. I haven't yet pulled the trigger on my deposit, but I'm getting close. Can anybody recommend afreight forwarder and customs agent in Los Angeles that you have used? I would like a company that has already imported a Chinese laser specifically, and one that will be happy to work with an individual (instead of a company) and deliver to a residential address.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Null
02-05-2014, 8:39 AM
Dan

Welcome to SMC. There are a number of threads relative to importing a machine from China. I believe you'll find your answer by doing a search.

I would begin here. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?181819-Chinese-laser-purchase-Shenui-Laserworks-tips-and-tricks-thread

Rich Enders
02-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Dan,

We have used Dimerco Express (310-606-8900) for many years. Our contact is Andrew.

Dan Wilhelm
02-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Mike, you are correct...there are a ton of threads that discuss customs brokers on Chinese lasers. Unfortunately, none of them include the company name, individual name, or contact information for the broker they used. There are also lots of reports of brokers that don't tell you all the fees up front, so your bill is a lot higher at the end of the process. I would like to avoid that by using a reputable broker, but unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any readily available information on good brokers.

Thank you, Rich. I will give them a call.

Rich Enders
02-05-2014, 3:29 PM
Dan,

Noted your concern about brokers not disclosing all fees upfront. We have not experienced this occurring deceptively, but there are events that can cost you extra money. These events are mostly caused by Homeland Security, and US Customs. If your shipment is flagged for further screening, you will be responsible for all extra costs. These costs can include moving the container to a secured area, wages for an inspector or for a longshoreman crew to unload the container, and testing to confirm that the goods are exactly as spelled out on the manifest. In one case we imported a container of white pigment. At some point a bag was broken spreading white powder throughout the container, with some leaking through a door seal. By the time they were finished with us we owed an extra $9000.

An important item is for you to confirm that your shipment is insured for all risks. Your equipment purchase will be combined with other items and loaded into a container. Some of the containers will be stored on deck, and the steamship company has the right to dump any container overboard if the vessel is in danger from high seas, or other.

Finally you need to be sure who you are buying the equipment from. Throughout the world there are clever people that make themselves look exactly like well known manufacturers, or like official distributors for these manufacturers.

Travis Wizniuk
02-05-2014, 3:48 PM
Although Rich is correct (yes as similar thing happened to our company), those are fairly rare occurrences (at least here in Canada). That is also one of the reasons that companies like Rabbit lasers exists. They provide value in a bunch of ways, not the least of which is removing the headaches of importing..

As to getting scammed by the company.. You are in good hands with G.Weike... I just imported one of their lasers (2 weeks ago) and couldn't be happier with it (and the process). Good luck and you will love it when you get it!

Dan Wilhelm
02-05-2014, 5:20 PM
Thanks for the help, gentlemen. Burt Kemp sent me a PM about Automation Technologies having the LG500 in stock. I had already gotten a quote from them, but they do not have the red alignment laser in stock, which is something I really wanted. However, now that I am facing the daunting task of arranging my own freight forwarder, and looking at a shipping cost that could range between $800 and $1200+, I think they are looking better by the minute. I feel really bad for G.Weike, though. I have gotten pretty far along in the ordering process, and they have been very responsive especially given the holiday over there.

Travis Wizniuk
02-05-2014, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the help, gentlemen. Burt Kemp sent me a PM about Automation Technologies having the LG500 in stock. I had already gotten a quote from them, but they do not have the red alignment laser in stock, which is something I really wanted. However, now that I am facing the daunting task of arranging my own freight forwarder, and looking at a shipping cost that could range between $800 and $1200+, I think they are looking better by the minute. I feel really bad for G.Weike, though. I have gotten pretty far along in the ordering process, and they have been very responsive especially given the holiday over there.

Even though we own an import business, I let G.Weike arrange the forwarder (to a local warehouse). I then arranged the brokerage using our brokerage company. The extra shipping expenses (not including brokerage and tax) were $175cdn. This was mostly warehousing as the item was shipped inland via rail and was less than a container load (I picked up from warehouse). My total shipping cost to an inland city was $305USD + $175CDN. You then need to add brokerage(about $150) and then any taxes.. These numbers are less then 2 weeks old. Hope it helps.

Just to make it a little harder... My unit came with the aiming laser and I can't image not having it.. It makes testing very easy and reduces wasted material. I also got the auto focus, but I haven't really used it yet. Not sure the auto focus is worth it since its very easy to manually focus.

I was in your position 80 days ago.. In the end, I decided if I was going to have the hassle of importing then I needed to make it worth it. So I went with the LG900N. It wasn't a ton more money, but had WAY more capabilities and it was still cheaper than buying a smaller one locally. Just some food for thought.

Bill George
04-30-2014, 5:59 PM
Although Rich is correct (yes as similar thing happened to our company), those are fairly rare occurrences (at least here in Canada). That is also one of the reasons that companies like Rabbit lasers exists. They provide value in a bunch of ways, not the least of which is removing the headaches of importing..

As to getting scammed by the company.. You are in good hands with G.Weike... I just imported one of their lasers (2 weeks ago) and couldn't be happier with it (and the process). Good luck and you will love it when you get it!
Who Did you use for the shipper and customs service?