PDA

View Full Version : Replacement High Voltage Power Supplies

Jonathan Bowen
02-05-2014, 1:55 AM
Anyone have recommendations for replacement high voltage power supplies? I'm dead in the water till I get another one so I need reliable service and possibly overnighting options. I can get one from Hurricane and unless I can talk them down on price it will be $400 plus shipping. That seems a bit extreme that the power supply costs more then the tube. Also are all power supplies created equal? The one I have has no markings for serial numbers or part numbers. I do know it takes 110 and runs on a 5 volt signal from the controller (MCP6515) It's a 40 Watt supply. I really need to get up and running again fast. I overnighted some parts to fix the broken one and have had no luck and can't really dig further without more test equipment and a schematic. I'm going to fiddle a bit more in the morning while I wait for Hurricane to get in the office so I can haggle over the crap power supply they sold me. less then 1000 operating hours and 1.5 years old. Guess I expected too much from a chinese laser...

Any help would be appreciated.

Bruce Dorworth
02-05-2014, 2:47 AM
Jonathan, where are you located? Look up Lightobject online. They sell Laser parts as well as other electronic stuff. The power supply you are looking for is around $205 I think. I am not affiliated with them, I just bought a High Voltage Supply from them last week and they were very helpful. Hope this helps you.

Bruce

Dave Sheldrake
02-05-2014, 6:29 AM
Also are all power supplies created equal?

No they aren't, bad ones can go ping within hours, good ones last 10 years or more.A PSU matching the tube is the best way to go, generic supplies tend to be mass produced junk that has awful delivery characteristics.

1,000 hours should still be in warranty from China, most decent Chinese supplies have a MTBF of 50,000 hours.

The machine is made by G Weike, drop them a line and see if they will help

cheers

Dave

Jerome Stanek
02-05-2014, 6:46 AM
You may want to check out Automation Technologhey have one that looks like it will work. You can download the wiring PDF from there also. It is $169

Dave Sheldrake
02-05-2014, 7:09 AM
The AT version isn't any good Jerome, it's a pot control for a K40 series not PWM, the 6515 is PWM control interface.

cheers

Dave

Jonathan Bowen
02-05-2014, 1:28 PM
I'm thinking of getting this one.

http://www.lightobject.com/20W-40W-60W-PWM-CO2-Laser-Power-Supply-P72.aspx

I also need to look at the wiring for the controller. Hurricane keeps telling me the controller is using analog not PWM. I have the manual in here somewhere. I'm waiting on Hurricane to call me back but I suspect they will be dumb and not give me a discount.

I did find the manufacturers site for mine and a part number. http://en.jnmydy.com/products_detail/&productId=f518c705-90cb-48c2-bab0-3e76139627a6.html

Dave Sheldrake
02-05-2014, 2:14 PM
What model number is the machine Jonathan? (or what name)

The 6515 can control via analogue but I don't know why it would, do you set the power via software or via a POT on the machine control panel?

cheers

Dave

ps: Connections and manual for the 6515

http://www.leetro.com/english/sale/20.html

Jonathan Bowen
02-05-2014, 5:28 PM
It's an Agnes. They discontinued it and released it again as Lisa. I'm just going by what their tech support told me. My plan is to match up the connectors on the new supply and then work a meter into the return line so I can check for current and adjust as needed. The new power supply will probably be more powerful then the old one and I want to tweak it for a good safe current level.

Dave Sheldrake
02-05-2014, 5:40 PM
That's a Weike 3040, should be running from PWM. Good idea though, new PSU's are rarely set by current, usually they get set by laser power.

cheers

Dave

Pete James
02-05-2014, 5:58 PM
Just a note on your original problem. You stated in the original problem thread that you were making long runtimes at 100% power. That will probably shorten the life of your tube considerably.

Jonathan Bowen
02-06-2014, 12:57 AM
Depends on what 100% means in the controller. I'm assuming hurricane is setting 100% to within allowable current limits on the machine. It's all software controlled. I have no idea what 100% power means in actual current load on the tube but they have never warned me against doing it. Again I'm assuming they set it up correctly. I plan to set it to 25mA once my new power supply gets in on Friday. As far as I can tell that seems to be safe to run at.