PDA

View Full Version : Hand planes vs COPD?

steven c newman
02-04-2014, 8:58 PM
After over 20 years of making rubber hose, now have a mild case of COPD. Makes me a bit short of breath.

Now, imagine me working my hind end off like P. Sellers, while using them planes? Crosscut isn't too bad, but a long rip? Nope, ain't got the "air'' for that.

Right now, working down about 16bf of rough Black Walnut281685281686281687and I have to take a few more breaks than I used to.

Anyone else have this trouble? Years past, a Blanket chest would have been a weekend project, I'm almost into my second week, on this one...

allen long
02-04-2014, 9:37 PM
You are better now than you remember you were. The reason it would only take a weekend when you were younger, is that you were probably not as exacting as you are now!

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen

Tony Zaffuto
02-04-2014, 9:38 PM
What do you take for it? I use low dose Symbicort which takes care of my issues - shortness of breath & wheezing.

steven c newman
02-04-2014, 9:57 PM
Couple of inhalers, right now. One is a pill that drops into the device.

Years ago, all this work was done on a tablesaw, router table, and mitresaw. Even had a small bandsaw. Now, it is mainly handtools....

Takes a bit longer, or maybe i am just getting slower....

A large four or five drawer chest of drawers was about 16 hours, start to finish, way back when. Did a fewof them too, about 132 of them, in fact. In the cource of maybe two years... Now? It would take at least two weeks...

Tony Zaffuto
02-05-2014, 6:08 AM
I do everything slower! Part of the reason is taking the time and doing things differently today than even five years (hopefully better!).

With any illness, learn everything you can, especially paying attention to irritants/triggers that cause specific discomforts. With any prescription, tell your doc of side-effects as there are other prescriptions that can be tried.

phil harold
02-05-2014, 8:13 AM
Is working with walnut adding to the problem?

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

Jim Matthews
02-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Phil brings up an important point.

Dust is still present in a hand tool shop.
Do you run a fresh air ventilator into the space?

I have a shop air filter that I turn on, after sawing or sanding.

Remember that the Big Dogs have been at this all their lives.
Those of us just starting out will encounter the limitations
that they overcame, years ago.

If planing is tiring, verify that the blades are sharp and you're scrubbing
to thickness first. Much of the wearisome effort from using a smooth plane
is in trying to hog off too much material.

Crosscut to length
Scrub to just over desired thickness
Try plane to take out twist, cup and warp
Smooth plane to final S6S
(shooting board, if needed)

The first three steps together should take as long as the last step.

If you rush the final shape, the previous efforts may be lost.

Do you wear a mask, when sweeping up?

Ron Bontz
02-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Hi Steve,
When sanding walnut on the lathe I can sometimes have an asthmatic reaction from inhaling the dust. Anything else doesn't bother me. So be careful with that walnut. Also, I don't know how old you are. But it has been said, on the average, by the time we are 70 years old we have lost about 70% or our lung capacity. Varies from person to person, of course. An air cleaner is the best bet for fine dust floating in the air. Some mask filters will cause you to re breath your own CO as well so depending on the type of COPD you have a restrictive mask may bother you as well. Best wishes.

Wayne Hendrix
02-06-2014, 3:30 PM
Talk to whoever is managing your COPD. If they know there is a specific activity you want to do which the COPD is interfering with they may be able to adjust your medical management to help. It is also possible to do a measurement of your oxygen demands during exertion and if indicated and you are open to it giving you supplemental oxygen to use during planing and sawing.

Jerry Thompson
02-06-2014, 5:06 PM
I am an RN. I use a Pulse Oxy-meter on a regular basis in my home care duties. This would be a valuable device for you. They are not expensive. Around $45. If one's 02 level goes below 90 it is time to stop what you are doing for awhile.
IRRC getting Medicare to pay for supplemental oxygen requires an overnight sleep study done in your home to determine if you meet the criteria.
It should be noted that low 02 levels can lead to a host of problems such as heart attack, stroke and injury from fainting.
Low 02 levels are common affliction of Golfers.

Don Jarvie
02-06-2014, 5:06 PM
It also maybe time to invest in some power tools for roughing out the wood or just do what you can when you can.