PDA

View Full Version : Reciprocating Carver like your input

Bret Schaffner
02-04-2014, 8:52 PM
My son (13) and I want to get a Reciprocating Carver and wound like your input on a flex shat versus one like the hand held Reciprocating Carver (Proxxon's or Automach Reciprocating Carver). We want to be able to do hardwoods. Med to small stuff.
Thanks

Marvin Hasenak
02-05-2014, 6:12 AM
I have the Wecheer attachments that can be used on the hand held Dremel and the Foredom, about $50 at Treeline. It does a great job on hardwoods, I have carved walnut, maple and Osage. The chisels are a little more forgiving when they aren't sharp enough, and the smoothness of the cut will show up. I like the first one enough that I have bought another one for my place in New Mexico.

Mike Pounders
02-08-2014, 11:49 PM
Flexcut makes some power-carving blades that are supposed to be good for either type. I have the Wecheer type, but haven't used it much. I think the Automach has the most power but is pretty expensive and might be too big for your puposes. I guess it depends what you consider medium to small! For me, small is under two inches, and medium is probably 6 inches or so. I've used one a bit for roughing out, but gouges are about as fast for me.