PDA

View Full Version : SpeedSander Tracking Issues

Mark Ledebuhr
02-04-2014, 8:45 PM
Hello all,

I bought a used SpeedSander and I don't have a manual for it. It will run for short periods of time, and then the belt will wander and hit the sensors on either side and engage the break. The only way to keep it working is to constantly adjust the "belt trimmer". I'm new to using wide belt sanders, so maybe this is something basic? I have no clue, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Loren Woirhaye
02-05-2014, 1:04 AM
Did you try flipping the belt around?

Bill Neely
02-05-2014, 1:33 AM
Is the sander oscillating? It sounds like it may not be. There are several sets of photo-sensors on each side, the outer sensors shut the sander down when the belt has moved too far out of it's path. The other set of sensors operate an arm that pitches the upper roller to move the belt from side to side. The trimmer is used to adjust the frequency of the oscillation. At least that's how the big Timesavers I've been around worked. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Mark Ledebuhr
02-05-2014, 9:26 PM
It doesn't appear to be oscillating. Bad sensors maybe?

Loren Woirhaye
02-05-2014, 9:46 PM
Clean the lenses. Check for air leaks.

Jim Andrew
02-06-2014, 8:05 AM
Just checked out their website, there is a Warren Wilkins listed 877 278 5853 or wwilkins@timesaversinc.com of course this is for sales, but he should be able to point you in the right direction for customer service.

Mike Heidrick
02-06-2014, 9:57 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?128607-Anyone-have-any-experiance-with-a-quot-Timesavers-Speedsander-quot

Sounds like the manual is not much if anything other than safety sheet according to the post above.

Mark Ledebuhr
02-13-2014, 8:40 PM
I was wrong, it is oscillating. The belt runs fine, until it hits the electric eyes, then when it oscillates it shifts the belt in the wrong direction past the eyes. Any ideas?

Bill Neely
02-13-2014, 9:19 PM
It sounds like someone may have switched the wires for the sensors but it's really hard to say without actually looking at the wiring. Is there a wiring diagram or schematic in the control panel?

*Is this happening only on one side of the sander or both?

Mark Ledebuhr
02-14-2014, 11:14 AM
I am thinking someone switched some wiring too.

Well I came up with a simple fix this morning: Switch the electric eyes to the opposite side of the belt. Now it is working perfect! I can't see this causing any issues down the road, so I think I will just leave it as it is now.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.