PDA

View Full Version : looking to get a new jointer

Robert Culver
02-04-2014, 6:31 PM
Im looking into a new jointer this year and have been batting around a few Ideas . Im looking at 6 inch jointers because im not wired for 220 and don't know if it would be feasible without a lot of changes. Im looking at the grizzly and the jet models but don't know if I can justify the extra for the jet im looking at the spiral head cutter as I do a lot of work with figured wood what are the general thoughts?

Andrew Fleck
02-04-2014, 6:54 PM
Spiral cutterheads make a world of difference in my experience. If you can get that I would highly recommend it.

Keith Hankins
02-04-2014, 7:04 PM
Im looking into a new jointer this year and have been batting around a few Ideas . Im looking at 6 inch jointers because im not wired for 220 and don't know if it would be feasible without a lot of changes. Im looking at the grizzly and the jet models but don't know if I can justify the extra for the jet im looking at the spiral head cutter as I do a lot of work with figured wood what are the general thoughts?

I've used a 6" a LN number 7, and now the griz 12". I had a choice between the 8 with spiral or 12 with 4 HSS knives I went with the biggest jointer I could have. That was about 7 years ago. don't regret the decision. If you can get 220 in the shop. It opens so many opportunities.

glenn bradley
02-04-2014, 8:17 PM
I went spiral a half a dozen years ago and would never go back. I also sold my 6" jointer a year before that and I would never go back :D.