PDA

View Full Version : homemade soups?

curtis rosche
02-04-2014, 5:48 PM
This winter weather is perfect for soup, anyone got any good or unusual soups?

just made this one:

2pound beef
6 large hole carrots
3 jalepeno peppers
1 whole bunch of celery
1 pound of portabella mushroom
bunch of chives
1 tomato
6 cups water
6 cups beef stock

Rich Riddle
02-04-2014, 5:49 PM
I am reviewing recipes for groundhog soup as we talk. Is that unusual?

Steve Rozmiarek
02-04-2014, 6:00 PM
Plain old ham and bean is my favorite this time of the year. Especially with garbanzo beans.

Shawn Pixley
02-04-2014, 7:14 PM
Sometime after Thanksgiving, we'll make five gallons of vegetable stew / soup. Some gets eaten over the next few days. The balance is frozen for later. We may add fresh vegetables when we re-heat.

We'll also make borscht, though it never lasts long enough to freeze.

Robert LaPlaca
02-04-2014, 7:42 PM
This winter weather is perfect for soup, anyone got any good or unusual soups?

Well this one fits the good category, Julia Child's French Onion soup recipe is fantastic..Takes a while to make but sure worth the time..

Ed Aumiller
02-04-2014, 7:47 PM
Homemade chicken noodle...

Dave Richards
02-04-2014, 7:50 PM
Corn Chowder With Shrimp

2 quarts chicken stock or canned chicken broth
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
4 tablespoons butter or olive oil
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups unpeeled diced ( 1/4-inch pieces) potatoes
1 bay leaf
2 cups half-and-half
Salt to taste
8 ears fresh corn, scraped from the cob or 1 (20-ounce) bag frozen corn kernels and 1 (17-ounce) can creamed corn
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 pound small shrimp, cooked
4 tablespoons chopped parsley for garnish
3 hard-boiled eggs peeled and sliced

Place the chicken stock in a 6-quart kettle and put it on to heat.

In a small frying pan saute the onion in the butter or oil just until clear. Stir in the flour and cook for a moment, thus making a roux. Stir the roux into the hot soup stock, stirring until the soup thickens a bit.

Add the potatoes and bay leaf and cook until the potatoes are tender. Remove the bay leaf.

Add the half-and-half and the corn.

Bring to a simmer and season to taste with salt and pepper. I like a bit of extra pepper in this dish. Finally, add the shrimp and heat for just a moment. Serve, garnished with parsley and sliced eggs.

Mike Henderson
02-04-2014, 8:06 PM
I make a good tomato soup. I have the recipe on my web site (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/TomatoSoup.htm).

Mike

Phil Thien
02-04-2014, 8:45 PM
I like them ALL. My wife is the soup-master in the house. She makes a stuffed pepper soup that is out of this world. But she makes beef and chicken soups and chili and chowders, you name it, she makes it.

Bill Cunningham
02-04-2014, 10:01 PM
Sounds weird but it tastes great..
One can of campbells Italian Wedding Soup
One can of Stag Chilli
Mixem together.. heat n eat..

Ole Anderson
02-05-2014, 8:46 AM
I have always been a clam chowder fan, rating them on my on my IPhone in case we return to the restaurant. My mom used to make a thin clam chowder that I grew up on. I have never been one much for cooking, preferring to limit myself mostly to grilling. But now that I am retired and just finished the new kitchen, adding a nice gas range for the first time, I have tried my hand there a few times. I plucked a clam chowder recipe off allrecipes.com, doctored it up a bunch and ended up with this one which got good comments from my friends: http://allrecipes.com/customrecipe/63940102/oles-clam-chowder/detail.aspx

phil harold
02-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Well this one fits the good category, Julia Child's French Onion soup recipe is fantastic..Takes a while to make but sure worth the time..
made this last night
yum

Raymond Fries
02-05-2014, 2:49 PM
This stew is one of my favorites:

Spicy Chile Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew

2 T. oil
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken, cut into chunks
1 jalapeño, seeded & minced
1 med. onion, sliced
1/8 t. minced garlic
2 t. ground cumin
4 plum tomatoes, seeded & chopped
3 c. peeled & chopped sweet potato (@ 2 large)
2 c. chicken broth
¼ c. fresh cilantro, chopped
1 ½ c. chopped greens (kale, chard, spinach)

In a large skillet, heat the oil and sauté the chicken. Add the jalapeño, onion, and garlic and cook until softened. Stir in the cumin and tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes release their juice, about 5 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, broth, and cilantro and simmer for 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are cooked. Add the greens and simmer until the greens wilt.

I hope you enjoy it as well.

ray hampton
02-05-2014, 3:21 PM
you -all sure pick a good day to talk about food, snow and iceeee

George Bokros
02-05-2014, 6:25 PM
I have always been a clam chowder fan, rating them on my on my IPhone in case we return to the restaurant. My mom used to make a thin clam chowder that I grew up on. I have never been one much for cooking, preferring to limit myself mostly to grilling. But now that I am retired and just finished the new kitchen, adding a nice gas range for the first time, I have tried my hand there a few times. I plucked a clam chowder recipe off allrecipes.com, doctored it up a bunch and ended up with this one which got good comments from my friends: http://allrecipes.com/customrecipe/63940102/oles-clam-chowder/detail.aspx

I am probably going to try your recipe Ole. I love the New England style clam chowder. The best I have found of the canned variety is Snows.

George