PDA

View Full Version : paraplegia and Spina Bifida

Clarence Martin
02-04-2014, 4:31 PM
Don't know if there is anyone on the forum that is in the medical field , but could use some info on Spinal Bifida and Paraplegia .

My question is this:

If someone was born with Spinal Bifida and they have no feeling below their ankles and cannot move their feet or their toes , and use crutches and leg braces to get around, (Without the crutches, they would be stuck in a Wheelchair.) does that classify them as a Paraplegic ?

Jeff Erbele
02-04-2014, 5:25 PM
Don't know if there is anyone on the forum that is in the medical field , but could use some info on Spinal Bifida and Paraplegia .

My question is this:

If someone was born with Spinal Bifida and they have no feeling below their ankles and cannot move their feet or their toes , and use crutches and leg braces to get around, (Without the crutches, they would be stuck in a Wheelchair.) does that classify them as a Paraplegic ?

I am not a medical or legal professional. Not knowing the answer, much less what Spinal Bifida is, I Googled Paraplegic.
From this definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraplegia
it sounds like it may be.

If the purpose of the question if more than curiosity or a basic understanding, for example a medical or legal classification or relating to insurance or benefits, Wikipedia may not suffice as a determining factor one way or the other. I think it may take the professional opinion of a M.D.

Dan Hintz
02-04-2014, 6:42 PM
I'm not a doctor, but...

From a medical standpoint, I believe paraplegia is defined as loss of mobility in the legs (at a minimum, but also includes their pelvic area and trunk). From that viewpoint, someone who still has control of and feeling in their legs and torso is not defined as a paraplegic.