PDA

View Full Version : Looking for unique workbench ideas for limited space

Eric Schubert
02-04-2014, 2:34 PM
Just to provide some quick background:
I'm just starting to get into woodworking. I've built a few things previously, but nothing really nice from my own tools. Just some shelving, and I did attempt an aquarium stand that turned out decently. But I haven't made anything of excellent quality since my high school days, when I had access to the wood shop area and power tools that I can't afford to buy. (e.g. planer, jointer, disc and oscillating sanders, lathe, etc.) I'm working on building up my tool collection. My next major purchase will end up being a table saw. But to start out, I know that the foundation to a good shop begins with a solid bench and good organization, not to mention cleanliness (read: dust control). So, for my first post here on Sawmill Creek, I thought I'd seek some ideas for putting together a solid workbench.

It's fairly common that many of us have to work within a limited space. In my case, the space I have is my garage and driveway. So, I'm trying to come up with a bench that's not just movable, but also collapsible. It would obviously be a simple bench in order to have these characteristics. I don't want it permanently right up against a wall. There's no way to work around a large piece without constantly spinning it around. So, a movable bench would be ideal, so that it can be positioned in the middle of my garage while I'm working.

Here were some of my main thoughts for this project:

Bench top: 2 layers of laminated plywood, or a butcher block top
Movable: 360° casters that can be raised/lowered, similar to these (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2085988/43775/WoodRiver-Workbench-Caster-Set-4-piece.aspx)
Collapsible: removable/foldable legs to make the design compact
Storable: Pin the long edge of the bench to the wall for stability, but also to swing it up and out of the way and clamping it to the wall, after removing the base

I'm okay with "some assembly required". In fact, I think it will be necessary with the requirements that I have listed. But I'm looking to get some solid ideas for how to do this.

My current idea is to find a good bench top and use a pair (trio..?) of sawhorses as the legs. These may provide extra stability over simple straight legs. I'd find some method to clamp them to the underside of the top (maybe something simple, like a half of a wood screw..?), so they can easily be removed. They'd be easier to attach to the top, and I could probably make a simple rolling base for each of them. So, position them near the wall, swing the top down over them, and clamp them to the top. Unpin the top from the wall to roll about.

A solid sawhorse might work well. They're stable and easy to build. I could attach a rolling base right to them. I could also make folding sawhorses (http://www.familyhandyman.com/carpentry/sawhorse-plans/view-all#step3) to help keep the design compact and easy to store. It's just going to be a matter of making this design mobile. I may need a separate rolling base to set them into so the entire bench can become mobile.

For now, I've mocked up a simple version of the bench without casters, just to get some feedback. Anyone have ideas or suggestions? Possibly something completely different that might be better?

Some major questions:

Is this a good idea for a first bench?
For the top: 2 layers of laminated plywood? Or should I look at a hardwood butcher block top instead?
Any ideas for the mobile bases?
Is there any way to mount a vise on one end or edge on a top that's only 1.5" thick?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t314/Mr_Spiffy/Woodshop/Workbench_zps4ae25246.png (http://s163.photobucket.com/user/Mr_Spiffy/media/Woodshop/Workbench_zps4ae25246.png.html)

Bill Edwards(2)
02-04-2014, 3:01 PM
Someone else had previously posted this guys plan's

I think they are simplistic, but high function.

And you wouldn't need a lot of space to store it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnNi6Tpp-ac

Steve Friedman
02-04-2014, 3:47 PM
I'm somewhat confused. If there's no space for a bench, how are you going to fit a table saw?

At any rate, I think the answer depends on what you want to do on the bench. If you're going to use it for any hand tool work, the bench needs to be heavy and rigid, which means you won't be able to pick up and move the top. Personally, I think 1-1/2" is too thin for a benchtop, but even a 2' x 8' x 1.5" bench top with a vise attached will not be very portable. I wouldn't want to spend 1/2 hour putting my workbench together every time I want to use it. And what happens if you are gluing something up or finishing something and need to let it sit. Where will it sit if the bench needs to be disassembled.

The other issue is getting a bench to sit flat on a concrete garage floor. That's challenging even if the bench is not moving. I think getting a portable bench to sit flat is a challenge.

Lots of folks have managed to find storage solutions with roll around carts. Lots of folks also use things like Workmates to work on, but I wouldn't consider that a workbench. If space is not available, what about a fold up benchtop attached to the wall with hinges? If you have the top fold up (instead of down), you can attach a vise underneath. Naturally the front legs would have to fold up as well. I don't recall where I saw it, but do recall someone posting a fold up bench somewhere a few years ago.

Good luck.

Steve

Eric Schubert
02-04-2014, 4:27 PM
Bill, those Paulk benches look really easy to set up, and seem like an excellent design. They're still a bit bulky, but I may be able to find a way to store them by hanging them on the wall and out of the way. From how he was moving the tops around, they don't look terribly heavy. Thanks for sharing! That could be a really cool idea. I wonder if I could make the bench thinner, so it's not as bulky against the wall...

Steve, my concerns about saving space are that I don't have room to have both a normal work bench and a place to store a table saw. The two of them would just take up way too much room in the garage. I thought it would be easier to come up with a portable/storable bench than it would be to do that same thing with a contractor or cabinet saw (which will get a mobile base of some kind).

The weight issue is definitely a concern, though. So, while using hand planes or doing anything else that may rock, slide, or collapse the bench, I would likely consider using my idea of pinning the edge of the bench to the garage wall somehow for extra stability. Only with very large pieces would that become an issue, where there's not enough space on the bench up against the wall. The mobility is more for the convenience of working all the way around the bench, and to help keep sawdust either away from the walls or outside of the garage entirely, if I put the bench on the driveway.

To get a bench level on the concrete floor, I'd probably use leveling feet. Combine that with retractable casters and I'd be able to raise the table, adjust the feet, and set it back down pretty easily. The trick is coming up with some kind of mobile base with retractable casters, if I went with the sawhorse idea... I'm trying to think of a way to apply something like this to my design:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QYHpe0qQqg

I'm thinking of some simple rolling base that can slide under the sawhorses.

These are excellent questions, guys! They're helping me sort out issues that I haven't necessarily considered, yet. Thank you! :)

Eric Schubert
02-04-2014, 6:03 PM
I think I've found an interesting way to make my sawhorses mobile. It's a little clunky, but it does implement the design in the video I posted.

I removed the shelf from the view, since it was in the way of what I was trying to show. The two sides pivot on the hinges inward, and have 360° casters. The lever is only attached on the left side, but does press down on the right side of casters as you step down on it. There's the cleat that catches to keep the base in a mobile position, and the hinge will have to be spring-loaded so that it pushes the catch under the cleat. The catch has a foot release. Hopefully this makes sense.

So, release the catch. Lever swings upward, which allows both sides of casters to pivot inward, lowering the sawhorse.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t314/Mr_Spiffy/Woodshop/MobileSawhorse_zps5e34bc5c.png

Shane Copps
02-04-2014, 11:52 PM
Eric,

I certainly don't have all the answers, and I'm not all that experienced, but it seems to me that you are trying to build a mansion out of a mole hill. I understand the space issue and the need to keep your floor open for (cars etc).

Here is my thoughts - 2 benches- Hear me out.

How about a sturdy bench that is smaller and hooked to the wall. It could be foldable (out of the way) but more solid if it wasn't and could have a vise on it. Small enough to be out of the way, yet big enough to do the small work and leave stuff on it for drying. The second would be for working around in the driveway. The top would be 3/4 ply (2 sheets glued if you need stability on the top) and uses sawhorses for legs. It only takes a couple of inches of your garage when it's stowed. It wouldn't be nearly as movable as using casters, but it is very mobile.

I used a set up like this in a small shop I had a few years back and it worked well. The only complaint I had was I wished I had built my sawhorses so they were a better height.

my 2 pennies

Thanks
Shane

Eric Schubert
02-05-2014, 12:25 AM
You know, Shane, I hadn't even considered that possibility. That may just be the best way to go about this, and it follows the KISS principle. Thanks for the idea! This bench was definitely getting complicated quickly. I appreciate you steering me back in the right direction.

Any idea what height you would recommend? I've noticed that typical table height is way too low. I'm thinking just a little short of elbow height?

EDIT: Nevermind on the height. I'll just make it the sawhorses so the table ends up at the same height as whatever table saw I end up with. Then I can use it as a table extension. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

Rick Potter
02-05-2014, 5:50 PM
Eric,

Since you are starting out and need to put it away, why not just use sawhorses and an old solid core door? You can beat on that for a long time, till you decide exactly what you really need. I started out with a simple workbench with 4X4 legs and 2X4 bracing with such a door on top, and it lasted years. Heck, the doorknob hole was even handy. You can get solid doors used really cheap. I just bought a brand new 8' high one at Habitat Restore for $25. Used ones started at $5. You see them on CL regularly, also.

If you are concerned with it shifting on the sawhorses, just put cleats on the bottom to locate the horsies.

Rick Potter