PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Tablesaw

Mike Steinhilper
06-15-2005, 3:00 PM
I have a craftsman tablesaw and have started doing more ambitious woodworking. I need to build a crosscut sled or some sort of panel cutting jig, but every plan I look at calls for putting new runners in my miter grooves. For some reason, Craftsman has little notches in the grooves (presumabley to keep the miter gauge from popping out), but I am having a hard time figuring out how to use the grooves for anything else. Anybody have this problem? Any ideas?

Mike Circo
06-15-2005, 3:40 PM
Do you mean "T" shaped slots. If you kneel down and view the slot from the table edge, does it resemble an upside-down letter "T"?

If so, just make your runners to follow the normal width of the upper part of the slot. The T portion is as you guessed, to keep miter gages from dropping off the table.

Jeff Sudmeier
06-15-2005, 3:54 PM
Mike,

Welcome to Saw Mill Creek! You have joined a great forum!

As Mike said, just make the runners the same width as the most narrow part of the slot less some room for expansion.

Once again, welcome to the Creek. I look forward to reading more of your posts!

Mike Steinhilper
06-15-2005, 4:01 PM
I wish it were an inverted T slot. It's a basic slot but it has two over-hanging notches at both ends. It might look like this from the top:

---------<>----------------<>-----------
slot
---------<>----------------<>-----------

I guess I could file them off. What a pain.

Jeff Sudmeier
06-15-2005, 4:09 PM
Ahh yes Mike, I forgot about that design. Yes this is probably the worst design for slots craftsman put out.

One thing that you could do is to make a thin runner that will fit in the slots below the notches... Then attach them to the sled with washers that will fit between the notches..This way you wouldn't have to file off the notches and you could still build your sled.

Mike Steinhilper
06-15-2005, 4:24 PM
Jeff, now we're getting somewhere. Thanks for the idea. I was down to my final option - building a table around the table with a new slot, but by the time I do all that, I might as well get a new saw. Might yet be able to salvage the poorly designed craftsman! This is a great forum!

Von Bickley
06-15-2005, 4:32 PM
Mike,
Welcome to SMC. Always good to get new members, especially when they are neighbors in the beautiful state of South Carolina. :)

Mike Steinhilper
06-15-2005, 4:37 PM
Von, thanks! Got AC in your shop? I don't. Lost 10 pounds this week. But, wouldn't live anywhere else!

Fred Ray
06-15-2005, 5:28 PM
Hey, Mike. Welcome! I echo Von's sentiments about being from God's country. I do have AC, It's been really bad even here in the Upstate. I feel for you in the capital city without air.