PDA

View Full Version : Article on Steel City Tool Works

Brett Robson
02-03-2014, 9:35 PM
I came across an interesting article about Steel City - gives some insight into what happened to them a few years back. From what I read here, they're alive and well again.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/Ezine/Articles/Steel-City-Tool-Works-Reinvigorated-and-Ready-for-9861.aspx

Benjamin Miller
02-03-2014, 11:59 PM
I bought a Steel City table saw at the Woodsmith Store in Des Moines when I moved into my house in 2008. I've been using it heavily for nearly six years, and am still impressed at its quality.

It's a cast iron topped cabinet saw with a 30" fence and a 3 hp motor. I think I paid about $750, which was a great deal at the time and would be an even better one now.

What impressed me most was not the saw fit and finish, which was very high for an Asian machine, but the support I received when something went wrong.

About a month after I bought the saw, it started shaking violently when turned on and would trip a breaker. I removed and isolated the problem to the motor, but it spun freely and both capacitors tested fine. There isn't a lot that can go wrong with an induction motor, so I suspected either a broken weld on the squirrel cage, a stuck centrifugal switch, or some capacitor/wiring problem that only manifested itself at a high voltage.

I called the support number, and to my surprise, an American answered. I told him about the problem and he said they'd call back. A few hours later, I got a call from a VP... Scott ??? was his name? He knew a great deal about the parts on this saw, and said they'd send me a new motor. No RMA, no receipt or return required, and a week later I got a crate in the mail with a new motor.

The crazy thing is that the motor worked fine when I tried it a few years ago, so it's now powering an 18" bandsaw that I restored.

Yonak Hawkins
02-04-2014, 12:21 AM
I thought they were an American company. Am I wrong ?

Steve Rozmiarek
02-04-2014, 12:22 AM
So they have the new Blue line stuff out now? I wonder how the response is?

Jason White
02-04-2014, 1:17 AM
That would've been the one and only Scott Box who used to be at Delta back in the good old days. I think he's with General International, now.

I called the support number, and to my surprise, an American answered. I told him about the problem and he said they'd call back. A few hours later, I got a call from a VP... Scott ??? was his name? He knew a great deal about the parts on this saw, and said they'd send me a new motor. No RMA, no receipt or return required, and a week later I got a crate in the mail with a new motor.

Tai Fu
02-04-2014, 3:00 AM
Steel city machines are sold here, at least the granite stuff (which seems really far behind the current trend). I just wish Laguna and Minimax sells their stuff here too.

Stephen Musial
02-04-2014, 7:37 AM
I wanted to like them and went out of my way to do a lot of research on them and their stuff. So far not impressed with them. I'm looking at trading up from my Delta 13" planer to their 13" with helical head. I've sent them three messages so far asking a few questions about it and have yet to get a response. I'm getting to the point where "If it's this hard to try and give them money, what kind of problems will I have when I need help?"

Either their website doesn't work or someone in the office isn't doing their job.

Rich Riddle
02-04-2014, 7:53 AM
I thought they were an American company. Am I wrong ?

I am uncertain what you mean by an American company. The tools are manufactured in Asia if that's what you're wondering. Per the article, "We've also realigned our factories in Asia to better control quality and steady the supply chain of inbound products. We've expanded from three to five factories to alleviate some pressures there."

Al Bacon
02-04-2014, 7:55 AM
Steve

I have found Steel City Tools Works to have very good CS. Send an email to Terry Ross. He never fails to get back to you.
His address is:

tross@steelcitytoolworks.net

Myk Rian
02-04-2014, 9:36 AM
I bought one of their early Hybrid cabinet saws several years ago, and am very happy with it.

Yonak Hawkins
02-04-2014, 10:47 AM
I am uncertain what you mean by an American company. The tools are manufactured in Asia if that's what you're wondering. Per the article, "We've also realigned our factories in Asia to better control quality and steady the supply chain of inbound products. We've expanded from three to five factories to alleviate some pressures there."

Their website says their headquarters is in Chicago with satellite offices in Canada and Taiwan. Is this a ruse ?

Richard Coers
02-04-2014, 12:13 PM
That would've been the one and only Scott Box who used to be at Delta back in the good old days. I think he's with General International, now.

A whole group of ex-Delta management were in the group that started Steel City. I've known Scott since my days working at Woodworkers Journal in the late 1990's.

Dan Hintz
02-04-2014, 3:27 PM
Their website says their headquarters is in Chicago with satellite offices in Canada and Taiwan. Is this a ruse ?

How is that a ruse? Manufacturing happens in Asian factories, but they're headquartered in the US.

Stephen Musial
02-04-2014, 6:56 PM
Well if you ever talk with him, tell him that someone in the office isn't doing their job and they lost a potential customer.

What are people's thoughts on the Grizzly 15" planer? What's knife changing like? Set it and forget it or do you have to mess with gib screws?