PDA

View Full Version : Beading with the Veritas Plow Plane?

David Dalzell
02-03-2014, 7:32 PM
It seems to me that if a blade were to be filed to a desired beading shape it could be used in the Veritas Small Plow Plane as a beading tool. Any thoughts on this?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
02-03-2014, 8:06 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work any better or worse than the similar beading blades used with the Stanley combination planes. My only thought is that those blades worked much better, from my understanding, being supported by two skates; you'd want the extra skate from the "wide blade conversion kit".

Chris Griggs
02-03-2014, 8:10 PM
Didn't Derek do write-up about this? I don't where it is one his site but I'd dig around there (or shoot hima PM). I'm pretty sure he did something like this.

David Dalzell
02-03-2014, 8:24 PM
I'll check at his site. I have the Veritas Beading tool, but quite frankly I can not get it to work well for me. My style or grip,or something.

Chris Griggs
02-03-2014, 8:30 PM
Beading tools can be tough, since you pretty much scraping in a profile. I have the small wooden Hock one, and it does whats it supposed to, but not without some hand cramps. I've thought about getting the LV one just because its got a lot to grip, but I'd rather use a plane so one of these days I'll pick up a few wooden beading planes.

Jim Neeley
02-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Beading tools can be tough, since you pretty much scraping in a profile. I have the small wooden Hock one, and it does whats it supposed to, but not without some hand cramps.

Hand cramps, Chris? Bessey, Jorgies, or Pony's, mate? <g>

Derek Cohen
02-03-2014, 10:56 PM
I don't recall writing about this on my website, however I have posted here that you can "fit" the beading blades from a Stanley #45 (since they are an acceptable thickness). You will not be able to use the adjuster, but a hammer tap works. The LV blade clamp will keep the Stanley blades secure enough to use.

By the way David, your PM could not be replied as you nominated not to receive messages. Consider also a scratch bead, such as this simple one ..

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Spokeshaves%20and%20Drawknives/Hackscratchstock.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Chris Griggs
02-04-2014, 6:21 AM
I don't recall writing about this on my website, however I have posted here that you can "fit" the beading blades from a Stanley #45 (since they are an acceptable thickness).

Ah ok...that must be what i was thinking of.

Mike Brady
03-02-2016, 12:56 PM
It is my impression that a beading plane can only form a bead on a straight edge, whereas a beading tool or even a simple scratch stock can form beads on straight or curved edges. My limited experience with a shop-made scratch stock has been very favorable.