PDA

View Full Version : project ideas for my grandpa having back surgery

Gary Yoder
02-03-2014, 6:48 PM
My grandpa has had his own shop building furniture and cabinets for years and is having back surgery this week and won't be able to do any lifting for 6 months. I'm trying to find some kind of wood kit/projects he could do at his desk or kitchen table. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jerry Thompson
02-03-2014, 7:13 PM
Chip Caving?

Mac McQuinn
02-03-2014, 8:18 PM
This is a great book with several designs of Japanese Lamps and Lanterns. http://www.amazon.com/Making-Japanese-Style-Lanterns-Edward-Turner/dp/0881791989/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391476487&sr=1-1&keywords=japanese+lamps+and+lanterns (http://www.amazon.com/Making-Japanese-Style-Lanterns-Edward-Turner/dp/0881791989/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391476487&sr=1-1&keywords=japanese+lamps+and+lanterns) I believe most can be built with a few non-powered hand tools and shouldn't require any lifting or assertion. The scale of these allows you to build at a small bench or kitchen table.
Good luck w/ the surgery.
Mac

Thomas Canfield
02-03-2014, 9:17 PM
Maybe you can find some DVDs or U-tube posts to interest him. Some of the scroll or band saw work can be done without a lot of lifting or exertion and also turning. He might want to branch out his interests while doing the recovery.

Raymond Fries
02-03-2014, 9:36 PM
How about a radio controlled glider. He can fly it next summer. I have built several. The balsa kits have pre-cut parts and they are not hard to learn to fly.

Lori Kleinberg
02-03-2014, 11:15 PM
I am a little over 3 months past my 4th back operation. It has been slow going but I did watch alot of you tube videos on woodworking and just recently started back at my scroll saw. I find doing different things makes it better for my back, in other words changing positions often so I don't get stiff.

Val Kosmider
02-04-2014, 10:19 AM
How about a radio controlled glider. He can fly it next summer. I have built several. The balsa kits have pre-cut parts and they are not hard to learn to fly.

I built a Chris Craft model runabout boat from a wood kit. Everything you need is in the kit. It has shaping, sanding, fitting challenges which require small hand tools. The project lasts for more than a few weeks, and you end up with a classic item which might appeal to someone of a 'certain age'.