PDA

View Full Version : Triangle winged lidded bowl/box thingy?!

Roger Chandler
02-03-2014, 2:58 PM

This is a form I have been thinking about doing for some time........getting the triangle exactly the same on all three sides is more difficult than meets the eye, and I was able to get a template for design purposes, and off to the races!

I actually wanted to do a lid with more than black, but the selection of wood I had to go with the cherry was limited, so I just ebonized a piece of maple for the lid for contrasting purposes. Black goes with everything! When I can get some decent maple burl with good figure, I will probably do another one of these.

The form is 10" wide and 4.5" tall.

This is a challenging piece to do, especially with those wings flying at over 2000 rpm, and sanding by hand is very tedious with all the small areas which have to be done.

This may not be everyone's cup-O-tea, but it is something I have been contemplating for probably the better part of the last year. I almost did one from a piece of walnut back about 3 months ago, but decided to use that walnut for another purpose.

I am not sure what to call it really........lidded bowl, lidded box, winged form.........thingy???! :confused::D What say you about the official identity of this form?

Comments are welcome!

Paul Engle
02-03-2014, 3:03 PM
Very nice with the black lid Roger. well done on he sanding and finish , these are not the type to get in a rush to finish.... patience and perseverance!

Jay Jolliffe
02-03-2014, 4:08 PM
Very nice Roger....do you have a pic of the bottom or better yet how did you hold it...

Rob Boesem
02-03-2014, 4:37 PM
I really like that piece!.....I agree with Paul. I like the black lid as well.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2014, 6:02 PM
Very nice! I love the combination of burl and black lid! Well done Sir!

Brian Myers
02-03-2014, 6:22 PM
Very :cool: . When you say "I actually wanted to do a lid with more than black", were thinking of having the knob on the lid a different color other than black?

Ken Glass
02-03-2014, 6:27 PM
Roger,
I like this one a lot. The color combinations and the shape are very nice. That is very nice Burl too. Great work.....

charlie knighton
02-03-2014, 7:26 PM
very nice Roger, good to see some different forms, well done

Roger Chandler
02-03-2014, 7:42 PM
Very nice! I love the combination of burl and black lid! Well done Sir!

Thanks for your reply, Ken............nice to hear from you! Hope you are doing well these days!

Dennis Ford
02-03-2014, 8:01 PM
The form of this piece makes it a winner; the details are nice additions.

Harry Robinette
02-03-2014, 8:10 PM
Really beautiful piece love the shape and the black top on the cherry. Very nice piece.

Roger Chandler
02-03-2014, 8:27 PM
When you say "I actually wanted to do a lid with more than black", were thinking of having the knob on the lid a different color other than black?

Correct Brian......only I was wanting to just make a black ring about 1/2" or maybe 3/4" wide and then another piece of cherry and a black knob. That was option 2, my first lid I made from this was out of a nice piece of box elder burl with some really nice figure in it......it would have been a stunning combination, but when I got into it, there were two inclusions in it that ruined the look I was going for........so drop back and punt!

Roger Chandler
02-03-2014, 8:29 PM
Thanks Ken, Charlie, Dennis and Harry!

Kathy Marshall
02-03-2014, 9:14 PM
Very nice Roger!

robert baccus
02-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Very pretty and outa the box. These are hard to sand for sure. Did one last year with 45 deg wings. Never did get the sanding in the slot just right--it was very narrow.

Dok Yager
02-03-2014, 11:12 PM
Very nice piece Roger! I bet that was a tough piece to turn. Definitely worth the effort.

Roger Chandler
02-04-2014, 8:24 AM
[QUOTE=Jay Jolliffe;2220065]Very nice Roger....do you have a pic of the bottom or better yet how did you hold it...[/QUO

Jay, I held it with a tenon on the bottom in my chuck for most of the turning on the top side. To start out, I used a recess in what would be the bowl portion, and turned the bottom including the tenon, from which I would eventually turn into a smallish foot......about 1/4" deep.

David C. Roseman
02-04-2014, 9:00 AM
Roger, spectacular piece! Apart from the skill in execution, there is a delicate lightness to the form that draws the eye up and outward.

As for what to call it, I'd just give it its own inscrutable name, put it in a favorite gallery and call it good. Maybe something like "Aerisias Reborn."

David

allen long
02-04-2014, 9:35 AM
A gorgeous finish as well! What did you use as a finish?

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen

Roger Chandler
02-04-2014, 10:43 AM
A gorgeous finish as well! What did you use as a finish?

An old standby, Allen.........shellac to pop the grain and wipe on poly [WOP]

allen long
02-04-2014, 8:25 PM
Shellac! One of my faves. Was the wipe on poly a gloss?

Roger Chandler
02-04-2014, 8:30 PM
Shellac! One of my faves. Was the wipe on poly a gloss?

Yes......thanks!

Tom Hardy
02-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Really nice Roger, a Fine piece of Art.

Jerry Toschlog
02-05-2014, 1:01 AM
Roger,

I have a question, did you cut the triangle shape after turning?I could see where that would let you make a better consistent shape then cut it to get the wings.

Roger Chandler
02-05-2014, 5:51 AM
Roger,

I have a question, did you cut the triangle shape after turning?I could see where that would let you make a better consistent shape then cut it to get the wings.

The blank started out as a triangle............for sure, I had all the pleasure of dealing with those wings at over 2000 rpm! :eek:

Jerry Toschlog
02-05-2014, 8:33 PM
I have turned 2 "Y" crotch type bowls, I hear ya as they can be a hand buster. .