PDA

View Full Version : What the Heck?? Fein Turbo II Hose w/ Dust Deputy

Stew Hagerty
02-03-2014, 2:34 PM
OK... I cannot be the first person to run across this.

Just like in all the ads and videos...

I bought a Fein Turbo II.
I bought a Dust Deputy.
I go to hook them together.
The hose from the Dust Deputy friction fits right into the Fein no sweat.
But then..............

How the heck is the 1 1/4" "clip in" hose from the Fein supposed to work with the Dust Deputy????

I called Oneida and the guy said oh yeah, no problem I know just what you need. It's a special adapter, and I'll send it to you.

Nope, not even close.

I called back and talked to him again. I even put the phone right down by the Fein and let him hear the "click" as the hose popped into place.

He is checking with his engineers as I write this. Come on though... Like I said, I can't be the first person to run across this. They use this very setup in their advertising for cryin out loud!

SO, I thought I'd pose the question to this wealth of knowledge and see if anyone has a solution. Beyond buying a whole other hose and set of attachments. At that point I'd have more into it than if I had bought the Turbo III to begin with. In fact, the only reason I didn't buy it was because I was planning on getting the Dust Deputy so I didn't need the extra capacity.

Stew Hagerty
02-03-2014, 4:13 PM
This is what I'm talking about.

These are screen shots from Oneida's own video:

In all but the last one, it is easy to tell that there is some sort of adapter being used. Any help I can get on this would be greatly appreciated.

J.R. Rutter
02-03-2014, 5:12 PM
I just taped it. :)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-lVff9nX_3no/UvEkbmXtr2I/AAAAAAAADqU/2HaEV9xv3cE/w603-h804-no/IMAGE_324.jpg

Phil Thien
02-03-2014, 5:18 PM
From the pictures it sort of looks like a cutoff of some PVC, maybe take the DD to Home Depot (or similar) and see if they have anything that fits over the inlet?

Andrew Pitonyak
02-03-2014, 5:19 PM
I use a Ridgid hose what I purchased.... Interested to see what your solution finally ends up to be.

Harvey Miller
02-03-2014, 7:00 PM
I bought the Turbo III a couple years ago and the hose slips right on my dust deputy. According to Fein the II comes with a 1 1/4" hose while the III comes with a 2 1/4".

Mike Nguyen
02-03-2014, 8:03 PM
Try the solution from BuilderBill from this link
www. woodtalkonline.com/topic/3164-just-ordered-a-dust-deputy/

William C Rogers
02-03-2014, 8:48 PM
Well in just use the foam weatherstrip. I have a couple of different sizes for different hoses.

Stew Hagerty
02-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Try the solution from BuilderBill from this link
www. woodtalkonline.com/topic/3164-just-ordered-a-dust-deputy/

I'll take a look in the morning but offhand I can't see how that would work. I didn't think it ess that close to working. I'll let you know.
Also, I haven't heard back from Oneida's engineers yet. Personally, I think it they're going to show it working, then they ought to know how they did it.
In fact, since Fein is such a popular choice as a higher end vac, and that they use one so often in their literature and videos, I would think they would make an adapter for it.

Stew Hagerty
02-03-2014, 10:09 PM
I bought the Turbo III a couple years ago and the hose slips right on my dust deputy. According to Fein the II comes with a 1 1/4" hose while the III comes with a 2 1/4".

I know... That's why I got the Turbo II instead of the III. I wanted the smaller hose for my handheld tools. I have a DC System that takes care of my machines.

Greg R Bradley
02-04-2014, 10:29 AM
All Fein Vacs, even my 20 year-old one, use the same hoses. There are two standard sizes. The larger hose pushes in with a taper fit and is the same size as Festool and most other shop vacs. The smaller hose goes in and locks, which allows it to rotate freely and help prevent kinks.

Since the small Fein hose needs the locking mechanism, you are going to have to use an adapter that will grip the end and likely won't be easy to remove.

I use Fein, Festool, Bosch hoses interchangeably except the Fein small hose will only fit Fein Vacs. The most recent Bosch vacs have a unique lock in hose and are likely not compatable with others.

What hand tools are you planning on using with dust extraction?

You probably will want to buy a Bosch VAC005 hose instead. Festool small is 27mm, Fein small is 30mm, Bosch small is 35mm but that hose has the same end as the Festool standard to fit a wide variety of tools.

Jery Madigan
02-04-2014, 10:51 AM
I have not yet hooked up my dust deputy yet, but have two turbo IIs - one of the older version and one newer with the suction control. My old one came with a big hose tha I still have and will use that for the vac to the deputy. For the working hose, I love the Mr Nozzle hose. Plugs right in the Fein and the other end goes OVER dust chutes that many other hoses (Festool, Bosch) plug IN TO. Get more air flow that way. If a tool does not fit, I can us the Fein adapter attached permanently to the tool . You can buy the hose with a kit, but the end goes over a regular 1.25" vac wand.

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Nozzle-M-100-DB-Wet-Tool/dp/B0000223X5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391528954&sr=8-1&keywords=Mr+Nozzle

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fein%20adaper

The Mr Nozzle hose is very heavy duty and flexible at the same time. The gray end is soft plastic.

Stew Hagerty
02-21-2014, 6:36 PM
OK, I figured out my solution:
I wanted to be able to use the hose that came with my Fein. I like the "snap-lock" feature because it's secure and won't pop out. So...

I got the part number for the adapter that Fein uses in all three of their vacuums. It is 421016A13, and I just ordered it from my local dealer at a cost of around $25.

The back of the adapter is designed to change the airflow direction after it passes through the wall of the bucket, so I cut that part off.

Next I plugged the hose into the fitting and measured how much room I had left, which in my case was 7/8".

I measure the inlet out from the cone of the Dust Deputy (DD) 3/4" (I gave myself an 1/8" cushion between the inlet and the hose) and cut it off.

Although it the adapter fit on the stub of the inlet, it didn't quite fit snug enough for my liking. So, I wrapped it with a couple turns of Teflon Tape. Then I slipped the adapter on.

Since I wanted the hose not to pop out of the adapter, I also did not want the adapter to be able to pop off the inlet. I simply put a 3/8" screw through each side to hold it on.

Finally, I wrapped the whole shebang out with some amalgamation tape (silicone tape that adheres to itself, such as X-Treme Tape).

Here is the result:

Mark Wooden
02-22-2014, 8:08 AM
I think you overthunk it- duct tape is your friend :D ;)

Stew Hagerty
02-22-2014, 12:47 PM
I think you overthunk it- duct tape is your friend :D ;)

In what way? Like I said, I wanted to be able to use the original Fein hose as well as have their snap-lock fitting so that the hose would not pull out. The Teflon Tape took up the slight gap, and the screws keep the adapter from popping loose. And finally, the amalgamating tape seals far better and more permanently that MacGyver's tape of choice.

bennie blackwell
08-26-2018, 1:54 PM
I just finished building the Wood Smith plans (2012, SN10936) for the roll around cart for a Fein Turbo II shop vac/Dust Deputy combination and I too struggled with the hoses. After a lot of thrashing about, I purchased the Craftsman shop vac hose kit (916928). It is adequate although not perfect.

John Stankus
08-26-2018, 7:17 PM

The fein 2 1/4 hose fits the turbo II as well. I have a turbo II. And bought a 2 1/4 hose in addition to the skinny one. Both latch into the vac.

John

Charles Lent
08-27-2018, 10:22 AM
My vacuum unit is a re-purposed whole house central vacuum and I used the pipe and fittings for central vacuum systems. To adapt the pipe to the Dust Deputy, I purchased two rubber hub less couplings from the plumbing department of Lowes. They fit a little tight on the Dust Deputy and about perfect on the central vacuum pipe. They come with two automotive type radiator hose clamps, so you can tighten them around the ends of the coupling for an even tighter seal. No tape, no leaks, and readily available at a reasonable price through any plumbing supplier.

My shop is small, so the vacuum and Dust Deputy are installed in the attic of my sho with inlet ports at several locations in the shop, attic, and one in the outside shop wall next to the entrance door. I use my central vacuum/Dust Deputy combo system for all of my lower producing saw dust makers, like my scroll saws, belt sander, hand held sanders, drill presses, etc. I also vacuum my shop floor and have a vacuum inlet port in the outside wall of my shop so I can vacuum my cars and trucks with it too. The Dust Deputy is attached to a 20 gallon steel grease barrel with a shop built lid made from tow pieces of 3/4 Birch cabinet ply. The top layer is 2" larger in diameter than the barrel, and the lower layer just fits into the top of the barrel. They are joined and sealed together with Alex II caulking and screws. Then a 1" wide strip of closed cell foam Weatherstrip applied to the underside of the larger piece of cabinet birch where it seals against the barrel top edge.

I don't try to collect chips from my Unisaw, jointer, or DeWalt 735 planer with it. I use the planer in the parking area outside of my shop, attached to an open top 55 gallon plastic barrel via the hose and barrel cover option that was available as an accessory for the 735. It has worked great, except for the two times in 8+ years that the draw string around the barrel top wasn't tight enough. The Unisaw cabinet gets it's saw dust shoveled out, and the jointer has a chute that drops the chips into a small plastic waste can. My DeWalt 736 planer is attached to a Miter Saw/Planer Stand so I can store the two attached together and standing up like a hand truck in the corner of my shop, and easily wheeled out into the parking area and lifted with the help of gas springs into it's bench height working position. I then attach the hose/barrel cover to the planer and my chip barrel and begin using the planer. This has made moving, setting up, and using the very heavy DeWalt 735 planer very easy for me. Returning it to it's place in the shop has been just as easy.

Charley