PDA

View Full Version : Other choices or methods to do the work of a sash fillister plane

linke combs
02-03-2014, 1:36 PM
I am looking to build some cabinet doors with windows at the top and would like to try my hand at sash joinery. I am looking for alternative tools or methods to cut the rabbet on the back without purchasing a vintage sash fillister plane. I can see where a plow plane could be used to start the cut and establish depth and then clean out the waste with a rabbet plane. But wil a LV fillister or older Stanley 289 work as well. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Zach Dillinger
02-03-2014, 2:13 PM
Depending on how wide the glazing rabbet is, and what irons you have available, the whole thing can be cut with a plow. Just use the widest plow iron you have available and set it up so that the fence side of the iron (left side if you are right handed) is on the line that divides the fillet (raised strip down the center of the work) and the glazing rabbet. No need to get too fancy with it or to introduce a rabbet plane. This will almost certainly introduce error and may blow the joint.

Jim Koepke
02-03-2014, 2:20 PM
Many combination planes come with a sash cutter. It cuts the flat at the back at the same time it cuts the profile on the front.

Some folks reshape them for custom work.

jtk

linke combs
02-04-2014, 1:30 PM
Thanks for the responses. I will try the plow plane. I think I have a wide enough blade to accomplish it.

Zach Dillinger
02-04-2014, 1:39 PM
Good choice. It will work just fine.