PDA

View Full Version : Wood Milling Question

George Bokros
02-03-2014, 1:33 PM
Do you partially mill your stock (thickness plane) then let it set for a day or two to let any stress release before you mill to final thickness and rip to final widths? If you let it rest before final dimensioning how long do you let it rest?

I never used to let mine rest but I recently had some stock twist slightly after milling and ripping so I am letting this batch rest but am not sure how long to let it rest. This stock has been in my basement since last summer all stacked and stickered. This batch is all sugar pine. It was kiln dried before I bought it.

Thanks

George

Mark Bolton
02-03-2014, 1:40 PM
It depends on what its for. If its something critical yes, and 1-2 days is our routine. Anything that will be fastened in place we just go.

Jerry Thompson
02-03-2014, 1:49 PM
I always cut oversize by at least 1/16 in. and let it sit in the environment it will be used in for a few days. This is usually in the house. I have yet to have a problem.

Keith Hankins
02-03-2014, 2:08 PM
If it's movement could be an issue to the project for sure! My method is to bring the lumber to the shop. It sets a week minimum stickered. I take it and rough finish. By that cut to general lengths. I will flatten and joint one edge, plane parallel, and rip final edge. Again rough dimensions. I will sticker a week to allow any funky movements to occur. I will then take to final dimensions and let it sit overnight before using at a minimum. I know it's a lot, but I've had some wood do some strange things. Especially door stock. I may even go a bit longer on rail stile stock. Now, there are certain pieces of the projects that will be tied together minimizing movement and thats not totally necessary. I will say I in my early days I was impatient, and it cost me dearly. But experience is a great teacher, and as you get older you can handle the waiting a bit better I found. Add to that how much a mistake can cost, and well you learn. One other recommendation, when milling take equal passes off both faces. If you take it down form once side there can be a moisture imbalance and she will cup or twist in a heartbeat. Good luck and don't forget to post pic''s of your stuff we all like to see what others are doing.

Mark Bolton
02-03-2014, 4:17 PM
To leap frog from Keiths reply you also have to take into consideration your material quality. I dont think any shop working on any sort of timeline could ever allow 1-2 weeks after rough surfacing unless they are working on the extreme high ends of the spectrum. I would venture to guess the vast majority of commercial/production shops have a zero wiat time but the quality of their incoming material is not in question. Even in a hobby situation I say this only because these products are widely accepted by the masses therefore, unless the piece your working on commands it, there is very little sense in going to extremes. Taking pride in your work and not wanting to waste is one thing but going overboard is another.

So much of this is dependent on what it is your making at the moment. Face frame stock for cabinets? As fast as you can go. Doors? More caution.

Jim Zolbe
02-03-2014, 4:43 PM
Sorry. Computer glitch.

David Dalzell
02-03-2014, 6:20 PM
I thickness to oversize and let sit for a couple of days. Another thing I do, after rough thicknessing, is lay the plank on the floor, lift up one end, and let it drop. This can, theoreticaly, help relieve internal stresses.

Mark Bolton
02-03-2014, 6:28 PM
lay the plank on the floor, lift up one end, and let it drop. This can, theoreticaly, help relieve internal stresses.

Not questioning but asking for more information about this..

Keith Hankins
02-03-2014, 6:43 PM
Tis true, I should have made a disclaimer. Anybody that orders a piece from me, knows I won't skimp on quality, nor time to get it. I love a sign my brother has in his auto repair shop

You can have it:
1) Fast
2) Cheap
3) Done Right

You pick two!

Cheers.

Mark Bolton
02-03-2014, 7:01 PM
Tis true, I should have made a disclaimer. Anybody that orders a piece from me, knows I won't skimp on quality, nor time to get it. I love a sign my brother has in his auto repair shop

You can have it:
1) Fast
2) Cheap
3) Done Right

You pick two!

Cheers.

It definitely works if the money is there!! :)

David Dalzell
02-03-2014, 7:28 PM
I am not sure where I read about this, but I do do it. I do recall reading that tension can be relieved at the impact. Does this really happen? I don't know. It doesn't seem to hurt anything.

John TenEyck
02-03-2014, 8:22 PM
I thickness to oversize and let sit for a couple of days. Another thing I do, after rough thicknessing, is lay the plank on the floor, lift up one end, and let it drop. This can, theoreticaly, help relieve internal stresses.

There was an article in FWW a few months ago by Steve Latta who dropped his rough dimensioned stock on the floor, claiming that it relieved internal tension. No proof was offered, nor have I ever seen any offered anywhere else. Personally, I think if a piece of stock has so much stress that a physical shock can release it, I doubt it's a piece that should be used whether or not the stress has been released. Just my opinion.

To the OP, in a shop with no humidity control, stock often has an different MC across it's thickness. When that stock is worked it can bow or bend almost immediately, but will often straighten out again in a day or two. For that reason alone, it's a good idea to mill thick and wide and let it sit at at least overnight before final milling. Similarly, after milling always sticker the boards, stand them on end, or on edge so that air can freely circulate around both faces to prevent warping.

John

Dave Zellers
02-03-2014, 9:02 PM
There was an article in FWW a few months ago by Steve Latta who dropped his rough dimensioned stock on the floor, claiming that it relieved internal tension.
John
This is so silly. When I pull out my stock for a project, I line it up and tell it I'm about to cut it all up into little pieces.

Whatever it's holding in, it quickly loses, and I'm off to a happy project experience.

To the OP- yes, skip planing and sticking for a few days is a good thing in my experience.

John TenEyck
02-04-2014, 10:13 AM
This is so silly. When I pull out my stock for a project, I line it up and tell it I'm about to cut it all up into little pieces.

Whatever it's holding in, it quickly loses, and I'm off to a happy project experience.

To the OP- yes, skip planing and sticking for a few days is a good thing in my experience.

I thought the same thing, too, but the author is an amazing woodworker so....? Nevertheless, until I see real data to prove the claim I will remain unconvinced.

John

Val Kosmider
02-04-2014, 10:31 AM
.... lay the plank on the floor, lift up one end, and let it drop. This can, theoreticaly, help relieve internal stresses.

Wonder if this works for people as well?

Andrew Pitonyak
02-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Original article here if you have a membership:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/article/frame-and-panel-doors-that-stay-flat.aspx

Although I have no idea about this, and, I am a bit skeptical, there seem to be many things that work that I had not expected. As examples, banging on saws with hammers to relieve internal stress and freezing metal (tools, gun barrels, etc). I believe that they statement was that he dropped large pieces, not sure if it makes a difference. I would like to see more on this before I would be inclined to try it. At least he does it up front so that any damage done to the wood is milled out.

Just because one person does it and believes it to be so does not make it so, and just because I don't believe it does not make it false. I watched a wood working show on TV where they were advocating dowsing. I believe that dowsing has never shown any results better than chance based on any study (I am only aware of two studies), but I know people that believe it to work, even one person in particular who has had more failures with it than success.

When I have a particularly tough piece of wood, I send it to a shrink first! It never helps, but at least the wood feels better about itself.

george newbury
02-04-2014, 11:12 AM
I occasionally drop a large piece of lumber on the floor to remove internal stresses - mine.

Works wonders.

Brian W Smith
02-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Probably shouldn't respond.......oh well,colour me stupid.

You are no better than your base product.You can bang it on the floor......bang it on whatever you want....it will never improve the grain structure God gave it.

We grind bow laminations into the "tenths"....and then consequently,"know" what to do with them,once machined.Best of luck,BW

Chris Padilla
02-04-2014, 1:19 PM
...I watched a wood working show on TV where they were advocating dowsing. I believe that dowsing has never shown any results better than chance based on any study (I am only aware of two studies), but I know people that believe it to work, even one person in particular who has had more failures with it than success.

Dowsing? New one on me. :)