PDA

View Full Version : Bank calls this morning - someone found and returned wife's debit card

Mike Lassiter
02-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Short version is wife dropped her debit card it seems last Friday and didn't know it fell out of pocket. She knew it was "missing" but thought our young tomcat who likes to play with everything he sees may have gotten ahold of it and had it stuck under couch or something. He knocked her cell phone off couch this morning jumping down from it and it fell down beside recliner mechanism at the floor. Just happened I was sitting in my recliner and heard the thump as it hit the floor and got up and looked to see what it was. Anyway, cat could have done it.

Someone returned the card to bank branch and the bank called this morning to advise. She looked at our account while we spoke and no surprise charges. I had my billfold stolen a couple of years ago (left it on counter at register after paying and signing slip and waiting for food) those 2 did about $2500 worth of shopping before I got home. I didn't even realize billfold was missing unit I got home from work and emptying pockets. So this news was very disturbing at first, until she looked at our account.

Had to share this.This reaffirms my faith in people. All we hear any more is stealing, shooting, killing, and such. I am happy that an honest person found her card and returned it.

ray hampton
02-03-2014, 1:16 PM
This is your lucky day

Chuck Wintle
02-03-2014, 1:28 PM
there are still honest people out there and they are the majority who will do the right thing. the bad apples who embrace dishonesty are the minority.

Jay Jolliffe
02-03-2014, 3:55 PM
About five yrs ago I was using the drive up ATM at the bank. I was in a hurry & left the card sticking out of the machine. I guess the person who came along behind me turned it in...Bank called to let me know they had my card...

glenn bradley
02-03-2014, 4:57 PM
I was waiting in line for an ATM in one of the many airports that occupied my life for about a decade. The frazzled guy ahead of me grabbed his cash, grabbed his bag and hustled away. I step up to the ATM and it is asking me if I'd like another transaction (I'll stop here and credit my parents for bringing me up right because I do have a devilish sense of humor). I ejected the guy's card, skipped my turn at the machine and chased him down. What goes around, comes around. Thanks for sharing a great story.

Bill Bukovec
02-03-2014, 6:38 PM
I left a nice camera on a bench at one of the Smithsonian buildings. I realized it, went back to the bench and a couple of people were looking at the camera. It was a relief to get I back.

Steve Peterson
02-03-2014, 7:31 PM
I estimate that at least 90 percent of the population will do the right thing. The actual number may be higher or lower depending on where you live, but most people would not try to use a "found" credit/debit card. You just have to hope that the first person to find it is in the 90% category and not part of the 10%.

Steve

Steve Peterson
02-03-2014, 7:35 PM
About five yrs ago I was using the drive up ATM at the bank. I was in a hurry & left the card sticking out of the machine. I guess the person who came along behind me turned it in...Bank called to let me know they had my card...

I believe that most ATM machines will pull the card back inside after a few seconds after someone has walked away. They probably also keep them after a few bad attempts at guessing for a pin code.

Steve

Brian Ashton
02-03-2014, 11:45 PM
Short version is wife dropped her debit card it seems last Friday and didn't know it fell out of pocket. She knew it was "missing" but thought our young tomcat who likes to play with everything he sees may have gotten ahold of it and had it stuck under couch or something. He knocked her cell phone off couch this morning jumping down from it and it fell down beside recliner mechanism at the floor. Just happened I was sitting in my recliner and heard the thump as it hit the floor and got up and looked to see what it was. Anyway, cat could have done it.

Someone returned the card to bank branch and the bank called this morning to advise. She looked at our account while we spoke and no surprise charges. I had my billfold stolen a couple of years ago (left it on counter at register after paying and signing slip and waiting for food) those 2 did about $2500 worth of shopping before I got home. I didn't even realize billfold was missing unit I got home from work and emptying pockets. So this news was very disturbing at first, until she looked at our account.

Had to share this.This reaffirms my faith in people. All we hear any more is stealing, shooting, killing, and such. I am happy that an honest person found her card and returned it.

It sucks to have to think that way.

Just reading this my first inclination is (and I'm not trying to brag as I suspect many here would think and do the same) I wouldn't think twice about trying to get it back to the owner. I've found wallets and money in the past and there is always that little devil on the left shoulder talking in your ear but in such cases he's easy to ignore.

Mike Lassiter
02-04-2014, 12:24 AM
It sucks to have to think that way.

Just reading this my first inclination is (and I'm not trying to brag as I suspect many here would think and do the same) I wouldn't think twice about trying to get it back to the owner. I've found wallets and money in the past and there is always that little devil on the left shoulder talking in your ear but in such cases he's easy to ignore.

What sucks is how "times have changed" or more to the point PEOPLE have changed. I am approaching 56 years old. I was raised by honorable people that taught right from wrong and they lived that way themselves. I am not bragging about my family entirely as I spent 5 years at boys home and some of my house parents there had these values. I agree with you - I wouldn't think twice either about doing the right thing. Frankly I would be afraid not too, for fear of bringing some catastrophe upon myself. While I don't think "everybody" would do wrong, it seems based on local and national news the majority are robbing, stealing, killing, breaking into houses, etc. I know drugs were very prevalent when I was growing up but I just don't recall so much wrong doing. It seems as the years go by the morals go down, and the people respecting their fellow man and woman has more so turned into every man for himself.
Hope this doesn't offend anyone, as I don't know "you" and not meaning to be speaking about any person here specifically. There are a lot of good honest people around, but sadly I think we are becoming the minority.

Jeff Erbele
02-04-2014, 5:02 AM
We were on a cruise ship one time, preparing to disembark at the end of the cruise I ran my hand around inside our stateroom safe to ensure we left nothing behind. I came up with 2 credit cards that were not ours, that were way in front, under a lip in the steel. Because of the height and size of the safe I would have never seen them unless I stood on my tip toes.

Those cards were issued thru a program with a travel company I was affiliated with at the time, so I knew the contacts at the corporate office. I called them right away to let them know and in turn let the card owners they had been recovered and would be returned. It was a 7 day cruise and I can only image the owners were either worried sick or if they headed straight home after their cruise many not have even known they were missing.

Years before that incident we were in Hawaii for a combination of vacation and a convention. At the end of the vacation part of the trip I returned out rental car and walked a couple of blocks to a bus stop where I was going to catch a ride back to the hotel. i was waiting for the bus when some guy comes sprinting down the sidewalk. I had not idea he was trying to catch me. He had my wallet with all the normal stuff, drivers license, credit cards and over $600 in cash.

I was wearing sort of loose-baggy sun shorts and had it in my front right pocket. It had slipped out of my pocket and fell between the seat and the console. I had no idea it was missing and was super lucky that they started cleaning and servicing the car immediately, found it, were honest and caught me before I got on the bus. Luck was with me in multiple ways.

I wanted to pay him a reward but he flat refused. He said we want your tourist money for sure, but only if we earn it and we want you to have a great experience and come back again and again. What a tremendous person.

Then another time at home I took my truck to a speed lube place I happened to be driving by, in a distant part of town where I would never go for an oil change routinely. I just happened to spot the business, knew my truck was due and pulled in on whim. Later I realized a $50 Leatherman knife and multi-tool that I kept in my console was missing. I knew for certain someone at the speed lube business took it; but try to prove it. Rotten scondrel. It just bothered me that someone would do that, more than missing the Leatherman. Oh well, as someone else posted, what comes around goes around.

Jerome Stanek
02-04-2014, 7:53 AM
I have found many items and always tried to get them back to the owner. They say that if you see a car with the head lights on in a parking lot that 99% of the time the car is locked and no one can shut them off.

Phil Thien
02-04-2014, 9:13 AM
Great to hear stories like this.

I think most people are pretty honest. The scammers are so active it probably makes their population seem larger than it really is.

Curt Harms
02-04-2014, 10:24 AM
there are still honest people out there and they are the majority who will do the right thing. the bad apples who embrace dishonesty are the minority.

I think you're right but guess which ones make the news?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-04-2014, 10:35 AM
I have had servers in restaurants who took the time to find my telephone number in the phone book and call to say I'd left a credit card on the table in a restaurant. It was returned without any additional charges.

Most people know I am deaf and hear via the technology of a cochlear implant (CI). Recently while out for dinner with some friends, the battery on my CI ran down. I reached into my pocket for my leather battery pouch and it was missing. I remembered very distinctly loading it with a spare battery before leaving home. The rechargeable batteries for my CI cost over $200 each. I searched around our booth and on the floor under the table. I then retraced my steps all the way to my car in the parking lot and I looked inside my car to no avail. When I returned inside our waiter approached me and I explained my predicament. He took notes, our phone number and then helped me search our booth area again. He said the staff would keep an eye out for it. This was on Saturday night. When we returned home, I found it in my change dish. I had loaded it with a battery and apparently set it down to pick up my billfold. It was loaded with a spare battery as I remembered but never made it ti my pocket.

The following Monday evening my wife and I returned home about 6:00 p.m. from shopping. There was a message on our answering machine. Our waiter and the staff at the restaurant had looked for my battery and leather pouch before and after closing for 2 evenings. They were sorry to report they couldn't find it. I took the time to find the email address of the manager of that restaurant and sent them a thank you after explaining the situation.

I believe most of mankind is good and wants to do good.

Mike Lassiter
02-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Still no surprise charges I am happy to say.