PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw on CL

Steve Gojevic
02-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Any thoughts on this bandsaw?

I know its listed as a metal cutting saw (the large housing on the bottom of the one side probably has a speed-reducer in it), but could it be a good woodworking saw (if the speed were increased)?

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/tls/4317056475.html

I have a Sears Craftsman 12" tilting-table model from the 80's and it never works well unless you are cutting thin (3/4" or less) stock. It's just too light-duty constructed to improve much.

Steve

Tai Fu
02-03-2014, 12:58 PM
that big thing looks like a pulley cover... but if the wheel size is large enough and the frame stiff enough, I don't see why won't it work.

Loren Woirhaye
02-03-2014, 3:59 PM
Nice vintage cast iron saw, maybe 16" or 18".

John McClanahan
02-03-2014, 4:10 PM
Looks well worth $200. The lower guard looks like its covering a large pulley for speed reduction.

Larry Browning
02-03-2014, 4:36 PM
It looks like it doesn't have very much height capacity (maybe 4 or 5 inches) That would be pretty limiting for resawing. But for $200, it would be hard to pass up. It is single phase isn't it?

Rich Riddle
02-03-2014, 5:24 PM
I see no indication this saw cuts wood. A metal saw will cut far to slow to be of use for wood. The resaw height leaves a lot to be desired. No fence system. Wait for a better match for your needs. You could spend a lot of money to get a cheap saw to do what you want.

Mike Cutler
02-03-2014, 10:16 PM
The saw doesn't know, or care, if it's cutting wood or metal. Blade speed and tooth configuration are all that may need to change.
We have a large Marvel at work and you should see it go through 12" hardwood dunnage. It's impressive, as long as you remember to turn off the cutting fluid pump. If not, it's pretty messy. :eek:
If it meets your needs the frame is worth the $$$$.

Tai Fu
02-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Problem is it looks like the height between the guide is no more than 6". Hard to tell from pictures alone.

Steve Gojevic
02-04-2014, 7:33 AM
The saw is real tempting,especially since I also do some metalworking. Unfortunately, the low height is a deal breaker because I will probably need to resaw wood and don't want a height limitation that is as low as the bandsaw looks to have. I suppose I could buy it and then get a better one if it pops up on CL later, and then sell this one. Too much work though, as my time available is limited and I would rather spend it on projects. I'll keep watching CL, I guess.

Steve

Larry Browning
02-04-2014, 8:05 AM
I have discovered that having 2 bandsaws can be very useful. One with a thin blade for curvey work and another for straight and resaw cutting. Changing blades can be a real time consuming hassle, especially on a larger saw. This one looks to be well suited for the curvey work. Also a fence is of limited use when cutting curves.
$200 seems like a very reasonable price, especially if the motor is in in good shape and single phase.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a saw to do resawing, and keeping you Craftsman for the curvey work, this is not the saw for you.