PDA

View Full Version : JessEm doweling jig every hole perfect

Phil Thien
02-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Making some larger end tables and gave the JessEm doweling jig a good workout.

This is the newer (less expansive) JessEm jig I purchased used from another creeker. When I first got it I realized that there was no built-in way for edge alignment, the unit is really designed to reference off the center mark. That is okay, but is leaves some room for error and can be quite tedious. [Edit: I stand corrected, the edges ARE precisely aligned, but at 5/8" spacing instead of the bushing to bushing spacing which is 3/4".]

But, included in the package are aluminum dowel pins. Perfect, my new edge reference. I just drop a pin into the first hole of the jig (left or right, to account for the edge from which I'm working) and butt the workpiece to that aluminum pin. Now clamp the jig, remove the pin, and drill the holes.

It means if I want more than four holes that I'll need to reposition the jig, which is really no big deal because I can simply use the provided dowel pin again.

But I drilled 128 holes yesterday, and then checked each fit this morning using a couple of dowels, and every single hole is perfect, all edges align perfectly.

Can't ask for any better than that.

I really like this jig. I'll still continue to make my own custom drilling jigs, but for everyday use I find this unit very flexible and well made and extremely precise.

[In the pic you'll see I added some sandpaper to the face of the jig to give it a little better grip, and the aluminum dowel pin is inserted in the first hole, that aluminum pin is what I use as the edge reference.]

Oh, and I recently switched to an Amana 40T combination blade. My previous blade was a Leitz-made combo that was okay but had been on the saw for maybe a year and was dulling. The Amana really makes quick work of even fairly thick (8/4 to start) stock. Impressive. I've always like Amana tooling. I'm using a BT3K saw (the saw everyone loves to hate). This saw isn't everyone's cup of tea. But for this weekend warrior, it does a pretty decent job.

Sorry if it seems I'm plugging stuff. The stuff works well, and I paid for everything so I have no incentive to say nice things.

mreza Salav
02-03-2014, 2:31 PM
When I first got it I realized that there was no built-in way for edge alignment, the unit is really designed to reference off the center mark. That is okay, but is leaves some room for error and can be quite tedious.

Not sure why you think that way. I've been using this jig and drilled thousands of holes with it (literally) and have never used the center reference point, always do it from the edge (i.e. make the edge of the jig flush with the edge of the wood).

Chris Hachet
02-03-2014, 3:25 PM
Personally I prefer Mortice and t, but dowels are a lot less work!

Phil Thien
02-03-2014, 3:53 PM
Not sure why you think that way. I've been using this jig and drilled thousands of holes with it (literally) and have never used the center reference point, always do it from the edge (i.e. make the edge of the jig flush with the edge of the wood).

You are using the newer style like pictured, not the original version?

In any event, I still find it easier/faster to have two reference edges to shove the workpiece against. It also makes it easier to hold the clamp while I snug the clamp.

I will try using the edges of the jig as a reference this evening, though. Maybe I looked at the thing wrong.

Edit to add, I think I just found the reason I abandoned the edges as references, in a post by Bill Huber: "Yes you can, the center is 5/8 on the side and the dowels are 3/4 center to center." I prefer (just personal preference, nothing more) the consistent 3/4" spacing.

Greg Brophey
04-27-2014, 8:45 PM
Hi Phil,

Just wondering if you got a chance to use the older Jessem Dowel Jig also? I know Bill wrote a great piece on the older one, and it does look well built and accurate. Will this newer one do what the older one did, and why did Jessem come up with another doweling jig? I see this can use 1/2" dowels, which the older one does not use. I need to use 1/2" for what I am doing, but can always double up on 3/8" also. Being that these are quite expensive for the master kit, I would appreciate any feedback on this newer jig and what you have found it to be easiest with and hardest with in your doweling tasks.

Right now I plan on using dowels for interior solid oak doors, for no other reason than it is probably as strong as any other method and also much easier to do. Have you ever used any longer dowels with this newer jig and what were the results as far as accuracy is concerned? I have a feeling that if I use 5" long 1/2" dowels, I may run into some issues with alignment, but don't know. I will get a longer bit to use with the bushings for one drilling, and it is here that I wonder how straight these stay going in the wood only 2 1/2", and if you add on the jig and bushing height, you are up there and any slight variance down will throw that top off quite a bit. What's your feeling on this or have you tried to use it with longer dowels?

thanks
greg

Phil Thien
04-27-2014, 10:29 PM
Hi Phil,

Just wondering if you got a chance to use the older Jessem Dowel Jig also? I know Bill wrote a great piece on the older one, and it does look well built and accurate. Will this newer one do what the older one did, and why did Jessem come up with another doweling jig? I see this can use 1/2" dowels, which the older one does not use. I need to use 1/2" for what I am doing, but can always double up on 3/8" also. Being that these are quite expensive for the master kit, I would appreciate any feedback on this newer jig and what you have found it to be easiest with and hardest with in your doweling tasks.

Right now I plan on using dowels for interior solid oak doors, for no other reason than it is probably as strong as any other method and also much easier to do. Have you ever used any longer dowels with this newer jig and what were the results as far as accuracy is concerned? I have a feeling that if I use 5" long 1/2" dowels, I may run into some issues with alignment, but don't know. I will get a longer bit to use with the bushings for one drilling, and it is here that I wonder how straight these stay going in the wood only 2 1/2", and if you add on the jig and bushing height, you are up there and any slight variance down will throw that top off quite a bit. What's your feeling on this or have you tried to use it with longer dowels?

thanks
greg

LOL, I saw your post in the other thread and figured, "well, I haven't really run any real long dowels, so I really have nothing to add."

But now you found me, so I might as well confess to recently purchasing a Jessem Paralign. I got it used, for about $125, and it was in like-new condition. I was so happy w/ the newer model and Bill seemed so happy with the Paralign I figured I'd just have them both.

So why would I buy the Paralign when I already owned the new model? Well, besides getting a deal on it, I wanted it for the clamp. The newer model works great, but I thought the clamp on the Paralign would allow me to move faster. And sometimes I feel like I'm going to drop the newer model while trying to clamp it on. It is a bit of a balance issue.

I haven't used the Paralign much yet, I've been stuck on other projects.

I still cannot answer the question of alignment while embedding dowels 2.5" into stock. I think it would work great, but I'm hesitant to recommend it because I haven't actually tried it myself. I don't even have any dowels long enough to try it.

Dan Rude
04-27-2014, 10:47 PM
I built these last year with 1/2" dowels http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?202460-Jessem-Doweling-Jig-again&p=2100862&highlight=#post2100862. it worked really well. I had a little trouble with the reference, was looking at the WP one this year. Decided to pass on it though after feedback from fellow Creekers. Dan

Andrew Ulsher
05-14-2015, 1:43 PM
So I know this is an old thread but in the position to order a doweling jig, Phil as someone that owns both which would you recommend first? Any advantage to owning both?

LOL, I saw your post in the other thread and figured, "well, I haven't really run any real long dowels, so I really have nothing to add."

But now you found me, so I might as well confess to recently purchasing a Jessem Paralign. I got it used, for about $125, and it was in like-new condition. I was so happy w/ the newer model and Bill seemed so happy with the Paralign I figured I'd just have them both.

So why would I buy the Paralign when I already owned the new model? Well, besides getting a deal on it, I wanted it for the clamp. The newer model works great, but I thought the clamp on the Paralign would allow me to move faster. And sometimes I feel like I'm going to drop the newer model while trying to clamp it on. It is a bit of a balance issue.

I haven't used the Paralign much yet, I've been stuck on other projects.

I still cannot answer the question of alignment while embedding dowels 2.5" into stock. I think it would work great, but I'm hesitant to recommend it because I haven't actually tried it myself. I don't even have any dowels long enough to try it.

Phil Thien
05-14-2015, 2:15 PM
So I know this is an old thread but in the position to order a doweling jig, Phil as someone that owns both which would you recommend first? Any advantage to owning both?

Well, if I had to pick just one, it would be the newer unit (the one I used here) that can do all three (1/4, 3/8, 1/2") dowel sizes.

I find the ability to do 1/4" dowels at tighter spacing a plus for smaller projects.

I haven't used the Paralign (original model) on any projects yet. I'm sure I'll use it soon, for something.

Prashun Patel
05-14-2015, 3:09 PM
"Perfect, my new edge reference. I just drop a pin into the first hole of the jig and butt the workpiece to that aluminum pin."

So funny! I just discovered this yesterday as well. I'm assembling a cabinet carcass and am using dowels for it. I too got a PERFECT fit.

I find that when you want things perfectly flush, the Jessem Dowel jig and the Dowelmax surpass even the Domino. I think it's because the Doweljigs clamp so tight and the Domino relies on your hand and it's so darn aggressive. There are (many) places where the humble dowel is perfect (for me).

Phil Thien
05-14-2015, 4:11 PM
"Perfect, my new edge reference. I just drop a pin into the first hole of the jig and butt the workpiece to that aluminum pin."

So funny! I just discovered this yesterday as well. I'm assembling a cabinet carcass and am using dowels for it. I too got a PERFECT fit.

I find that when you want things perfectly flush, the Jessem Dowel jig and the Dowelmax surpass even the Domino. I think it's because the Doweljigs clamp so tight and the Domino relies on your hand and it's so darn aggressive. There are (many) places where the humble dowel is perfect (for me).

Yeah it is shocking how precise these things are. Can't be more than .001 or .002" of misalignment at the edges, there isn't even enough to catch a fingernail on.

I'm glad yours has served you well.

BTW, believe it or not, I often just hold my Jessem jig in place with my hand. I have sandpaper on the face, but will just drop the dowel pin into a hole, push it against the stock with one hand, and drill the holes with the other hand.

Von Bickley
05-14-2015, 5:43 PM
I also have the newer Jessem jig and would buy it again......

Frank Martin
05-15-2015, 2:12 AM
I have a Domino and never used a doweling jig before. Thinking about getting one of the Jessem models. Cost difference is not an issue and I don't need the 1/2" capability either. Is the old one more accurate / better as the price might suggest or the new one is just as accurate despite the lack of built in clamps?

Prashun Patel
05-15-2015, 5:54 AM
If you have a domino as do i, i. Dont see a need to get e big jessem. The old one is the one i have and it works very well.

Frank Martin
05-15-2015, 9:24 AM
If you have a domino as do i, i. Dont see a need to get e big jessem. The old one is the one i have and it works very well.

Prashun, thanks for the suggestion. When you say "Don't se a need to get the big Jessem" do you mean the newer jig with all the size options? If I am interpreting the information correctly, the old one (Paralign) is the more expensive unit with the built-in clamps, and the newer one, is cheaper without the clamps. So, are you saying the old one is the better one?

Prashun Patel
05-15-2015, 9:26 AM
Sorry. I mean the newer one, I guess. I don't own the Paralign. I have the cheaper one that you have to clamp yourself. One additional thing I'd get if you get this one is one of those Kreg style vice clamps.

Von Bickley
05-15-2015, 12:35 PM
Sorry. I mean the newer one, I guess. I don't own the Paralign. I have the cheaper one that you have to clamp yourself. One additional thing I'd get if you get this one is one of those Kreg style vice clamps.

I agree with everything Prashun said. The Kreg automax clamp works great.

Dan Rude
05-15-2015, 9:53 PM
I have the new one, the other one is the more expensive one. I got it so I can do 1/2" dowels. The older one is limited to 1/4 "& 3/8". The automax clamps work great with the new one. Read Bill Huber's post for a review of the First jig. He did not care for the new one. Dan

Frank Martin
05-16-2015, 2:48 AM
Thanks guys. The built in clamp in the old jig is attractive, but looks like the newer jig is more popular. I wonder why Bill Huber did not like the new jig… I will try to find his reviews and make a decision.

mreza Salav
05-16-2015, 6:07 AM
I have both versions and used both extensively as well as domino.
old version is the most accurate of all. Domino is fastest of all. I use thw newer version with kreg clamps but still it is prone to movement.

Prashun Patel
05-16-2015, 6:44 AM
On the newer version i taped some sandpaper to the inside face. No movement.

Bill Huber
05-16-2015, 8:07 AM
1. I don't use 1/2" dowels so that was no big deal to me.
2. I don't like to have to mess with a clamp to use the jig, holding the jig with one hand and messing with a clamp in the other.
3. I don't do very many multi-row set of dowels and the new one does look faster at that.
4. I don't like using a line as a reference, I want the board to be the reference, now I do see that using a pin helps with that.

and then there is the I am old and don't like change......:D

I can see a place for both jigs but if I can only have one then it will be the older one. I have made some modes for it and it is just so nice to use.

Phil Thien
05-16-2015, 9:20 AM
1. I don't use 1/2" dowels so that was no big deal to me.
2. I don't like to have to mess with a clamp to use the jig, holding the jig with one hand and messing with a clamp in the other.
3. I don't do very many multi-row set of dowels and the new one does look faster at that.
4. I don't like using a line as a reference, I want the board to be the reference, now I do see that using a pin helps with that.

and then there is the I am old and don't like change......:D

I can see a place for both jigs but if I can only have one then it will be the older one. I have made some modes for it and it is just so nice to use.

One of these days I'm going to figure out a way to add a clamp to the newer Jessem. I agree that would be an awesome feature to have.

I've found that by adding sandpaper to this one, and using a pin as an edge reference, I can often just hold the thing with my hand, and drill the holes. In fact, on the little cabinet I recently built (pic below), I didn't use any clamps when drilling for the dowels.

But having a clamp would be nice. I have thoughts on how to attach one, just haven't tried it yet.