Rodne Gold
02-03-2014, 8:55 AM
http://www.gizmag.com/lockheed-sets-new-record-for-laser-weapon/30655/

matthew knott
02-03-2014, 9:17 AM
Good if you have cat problems i guess!

Jiten Patel
02-03-2014, 11:48 AM
It's a "friking laser" in my worst Austin Powers voice!!!

David Somers
02-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Ooooh! That is pretty exciting Rodne! You could try this in your shop just by re-aiming the mirrors in all your lasers!! Wonder what happens if you combine fiber and CO2 beams all into one? Hmmmm.

This could make destructive warfare obsolete. The goal of a battle would be to laser engrave the word ZAP on the enemies planes and tanks and whatnot! Kind of like laser tag with an engraver! If you get "ZAP" engraved on your weapon you have to take it off the field. You could even do it with buildings! And with soldiers!

<grin>

Rodne Gold
02-03-2014, 12:42 PM
I wonder if it will cut 1" acrylic and 1/2" ply well.. :)

John Bion
02-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Ooooh! That is pretty exciting Rodne! You could try this in your shop just by re-aiming the mirrors in all your lasers!! Wonder what happens if you combine fiber and CO2 beams all into one? Hmmmm.
<grin>
Given the South African crime situation......there would be little left for the police to see if you installed it right :) -----

Rodne Gold
02-03-2014, 2:08 PM
My wonderful view from my balcony is being partially obstructed by vegetation in my neighbours back yard - he refuses to trim it ..I always had visions of mounting a potent laser on the balcony and swinging it in an arc to give the trees and stuff a "haircut"...

matthew knott
02-03-2014, 2:21 PM
My wonderful view from my balcony is being partially obstructed by vegetation in my neighbours back yard - he refuses to trim it ..I always had visions of mounting a potent laser on the balcony and swinging it in an arc to give the trees and stuff a "haircut"...
Dont do that Rodne, some one has a patent on a laser tree trimmer (true story) , you might told off ;)

Matt Turner (physics)
02-03-2014, 4:15 PM
One of the fellows working on this graduated from our program a few years back.

Kev Williams
02-03-2014, 7:48 PM
It WOULD be cool to be able to cut an airplane in half in mid-flight! --an airplane filled with BAD people, obviously ;)

Or, for those imbeciles who shine hand-held lasers at airplanes, how about mounting slightly de-tuned versions of this thing ON airplanes that would shoot back? Might be hard to identify a pile of ashes though...

Wonder what happens if you combine fiber and CO2 beams all into one? Hmmmm.
"There's something very important I forgot to tell you! Don't cross the streams… It would be bad… Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light."

I'd pass on adding a C02 beam... :)

George M. Perzel
02-04-2014, 9:38 AM
I am installing one in my car to eliminate sources of road rage-will limit it to tires, and in extreme cases, the gas tank.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Keith Upton
02-04-2014, 1:13 PM
Or, for those imbeciles who shine hand-held lasers at airplanes, how about mounting slightly de-tuned versions of this thing ON airplanes that would shoot back? Might be hard to identify a pile of ashes though...

Been there, done that... sort of:

Boeing YAL-1 Airborne Laser Testbed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_YAL-1)

Dan Hintz
02-04-2014, 3:30 PM

Meh... just look for the newly-blind guy fumbling around and screaming due to his first-degree burns. :)

Mike Lysov
02-05-2014, 4:40 AM
I wonder if it will cut 1" acrylic and 1/2" ply well.. :)

it may also cut a laser bed and a floor under it. Finally a great tool to split a house/car for a divorce!