PDA

View Full Version : Utility Room remodel w/ pics

Roy Wall
06-15-2005, 11:38 AM
We used to enter our house thru the garage via a large utillity room (16 x8). My wife thought this was rather unsightly so adjustments were made....

Now you enter into a small foyer-type (the one with the diamond shaped tile) and go left into the kitchen. THe utility room is now closed off with a pocket door; and a (small) half bath added to the immediate right as you enter the house.

I made a small cabinet for the small sink near the washer, did the drywall, paint, oak trim, pocket door, laid the tile; and the plumbing install/work. The sink cabinet and mirror in the half bath are store bought. Now the utility room is about 11' long x 8' wide, and the entry/bath are both close to 5' long x 4' wide...the entry beiing the wider section for sure.

Anyway, typical of my ways....it took forever but I think its a much better layout now. Thanks for looking...

Roy Wall
06-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Here are the rest of the photos....

Jeff Sudmeier
06-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Roy that looks great! I like that you dont' have to enter through the laundry room!

Michael Gabbay
06-15-2005, 11:56 AM
WOW! That is really nice. You should score some serious points with your wife. Go out and order new tools while the impact is still high! :)

Mike

Chris Haney
06-15-2005, 12:25 PM
WOW! That is really nice. You should score some serious points with your wife. Go out and order new tools while the impact is still high! :)

NICE!!! But if Roy operates the way I do, he already purchased a new tool or two during the remodel that he told his wife he "needed" to do the job right!:)

Jason Tuinstra
06-15-2005, 1:09 PM
Roy, you did an excellent job on this. These high traffic area's are a real challenge. This should serve you well.

Von Bickley
06-15-2005, 1:18 PM
Roy,
You sure did a great job on that utility room... Great detail. ;)

Tyler Howell
06-15-2005, 1:22 PM
Great Job Roy.

I really like the tiled floors!:cool:

Jim Becker
06-15-2005, 3:25 PM
Very nice job, Roy. While projects like this can "take longer than you like", they ultimately reward you with things the way you want them and some new experiences, to boot!

Alan Tolchinsky
06-15-2005, 6:23 PM
Roy, You did a beautiful job and you must be really proud. I can just imagine how much this improvement has added to your enjoyment of your home. Alan in Md.

Roy Wall
06-15-2005, 6:37 PM
Thanks guys for all the nice comments - I appreciate it! It did turn out pretty well - my wife is please so that's a good thing!! We end up using that 1/2 bath all the time now instead of the hall one because it's so close (and nice & new:) ). The entry tile gives it a nice "entry feel" as you walk in.....or across - if you're headed to the bathroom. It's directly in view from the kitchen area so we thought it'd be nice to spice it up a little.

Question: I need to seal the grout & tiles on the little sink cabinet.....should I caulk around the sink rim first or after the sealant?? Actually, I'd rather not use any caulk at all- it's pretty firmly in place. And I would like the tiles to have a little "shine" on them.....so do I use the grout sealer all over???

Thanks again!!

Oh - and about those "new tools" comments.............I'm kind of a LN freak so I've been in acquisition mode:cool: :cool:

Now LOML wants to reface all the kitchen cabinets!!!!!!!! Might need some serious hardware for that!!:D

Dan Forman
06-16-2005, 5:23 AM
No help to offer on the grout and tile situation, but you sure did a beautiful job on the remodeling. Oh yeah, and that cabinet job surely calls for some new tooling!

Dan