PDA

View Full Version : Laser

Steve Gojevic
02-03-2014, 7:36 AM
I am putting up a "tin-look" ceiling that uses 2'x4' plastic glue-up panels in our kitchen. The kitchen is an L-shape so its important that the panels line up straight. To do this I need a straight line down the middle. If it was a floor I would snap a chalk line, but I think a laser line along the ceiling (25' in this case) would work better. Is there a reasonable cost laser that I can buy for this?

Thanks
Steve

Pat Barry
02-03-2014, 8:38 AM
I am putting up a "tin-look" ceiling that uses 2'x4' plastic glue-up panels in our kitchen. The kitchen is an L-shape so its important that the panels line up straight. To do this I need a straight line down the middle. If it was a floor I would snap a chalk line, but I think a laser line along the ceiling (25' in this case) would work better. Is there a reasonable cost laser that I can buy for this?

Thanks
Steve
I think snapping the chalk line is still your best option

Dan Hintz
02-03-2014, 9:51 AM
I think snapping the chalk line is still your best option

Agreed... it's not like you need gravity to snap a chalk line.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-03-2014, 9:53 AM
Having bought two in the last couple years, for radically different prices, I'll say that they are useful sometimes. Lasers are useless in sunlight, and the cheap ones are cheaply made. First instinct is get self leveling, but you actually may not want that for your application. I honestly think they are all ridiculously overpriced for what they are. Chalk lines are cheap and won't get bumped. If you go with the laser, in the mid range I don't think there is much difference in brands. I have a Johnson that is ok, and a no name thing that is also ok.

Dennis McDonaugh
02-03-2014, 10:28 AM
I have a Bosch floor laser that shoots two beams at 90 degree angles. I bought it because we were putting down floor tile on the diagonal in a kitchen with odd angles and an island which made it hard to visualize how the finished tile would look. It's about $45 at Home Depot and works great up to about 30 feet. It comes with sticky caulk to anchor it to a floor and it'd probably work for a ceiling.