PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration or Encouragement for Someone

Travis Wizniuk
02-02-2014, 9:19 PM
Well I recently got my G. Weike laser but have not had time to set it up until this weekend. It took about 2 hours to level the machine and align the lasers. I think the Brits call it "fiddly bits"..

Anyway my first few engraves were simple words on cardboard. Then I moved on to some cutting and playing with the power. After an hour or so, I headed to Home Depot and came back with 1/8" hardboard and 1/4" MDF (damn HD charges an arm and a leg for acrylic). After another hour of playing I felt I was ready for my first real project. A sign for my daughters room. Here is the result.

This was after 2 - 2 1/2 hours of "Playing" (its made from spray painted hard board)... I had zero experience with laser engravers before this. I hope this inspires someone who may be thinking about purchasing.. If I can make something like this after 2 1/2 hours of paying, I can hardly wait to see what I can make after a month or two.

Dave Sheldrake
02-02-2014, 9:49 PM
Indeed we do :) "Fiddly bits" just about covers most set ups :)

good work on the pic, now you just have to tell the Mrs to hide anything engrave-able she doesn't want to lose :)

cheers

Dave

Bill Cunningham
02-02-2014, 10:58 PM
(damn HD charges an arm and a leg for acrylic)..

And 'that' saved you from wasting your money.. The H.D. Acrylic is 'extruded acrylic' what you need is 'cast acrylic' Extruded does not engrave well. The nice white frosted look comes from engraving cast.

Bert Kemp
02-03-2014, 12:07 AM
Travis Says "I can hardly wait to see what I can make after a month or two."
Oh man you can't even imagine the idea's that are going to pop into your head.All the fun your gonna have trying to engraving different stuff, and then the cutting come in and a whole new world opens up.
Good Job on the picture, can't wait to see what you come up with in the future.

Steve Morris
02-03-2014, 4:14 AM
Nicely done.
When we have finished with the "fiddly bits" we get on to "fettling", and no, thats not as rude as it sounds :) I think its what others refer to as fine tuning.

Travis Wizniuk
02-03-2014, 6:52 PM
Thanks for the kind words... its not commercial quality but pretty damn good for 2 hours of experience..

Also thanks for the advice on acrylic.. We have a Johnston Plastics locally so that is where I will be buying my acrylic. I will be sure to specify cast Acrylic.

I also want to say, this forum is an amazing resource with some truly talented people.. I appreciate all the posts..

Dan Hintz
02-03-2014, 7:09 PM
If I can make something like this after 2 1/2 hours of paying, I can hardly wait to see what I can make after a month or two.

I hope you don't have animals... once you've run out of things to try that aren't nailed down, even moving objects seem like fair game. Run, Fido, run!

Norm Zurawski
02-03-2014, 10:21 PM
I was at a Chinese buffet today and the fellow I was with was having clams. I said something to the effect that he should take those home and make buttons. Soon we were discussing my laser and trying some clam work! I didn't bring any home but you can see how your mind starts to work when you get a laser.

David Somers
02-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Norm....so instead of telling your kids to "Zip Up" their coats you will tell them, with a smile of course, to "Clam Up!" <grin>