PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing wood

Gary Yoder
02-02-2014, 8:26 PM
I am fairly new to the woodworking realm, but have really enjoyed building a few projects over the last year in my grandpa's shop. The next piece of furniture is stereo cabinet for my wife and she would like it to look weathered... I built a red oak mirror frame recently and used steal wool in vinegar to try to produce that kind of affect. It turned out decent but seemed to take on a purple tint unless it was kept pretty light. Is there another kind of wood that would work better for this? I'd like to use wood that has some character as to fit with the stain. Or maybe there is a better way to get that affect?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Jim Matthews
02-03-2014, 7:16 AM
It's not clear where you are, any barns that have been disassembled nearby?

Personally, I dislike new furniture that is "distressed" to make it look old.
I think it's a fad pushed by the decorating magazines like "Real Simple".

That said, if you can find wood that has been weathered in the open,
you need not go to the effort of pickling, staining of fuming.

For example:
http://mansfield.craigslist.org/mad/4268627242.html

Search "Barn wood" in within the range you're willing to drive.
Get a metal detector - you should remove any embedded or hidden fasteners, first.

Brian Tymchak
02-03-2014, 8:20 AM
For example:
http://mansfield.craigslist.org/mad/4268627242.html

Jim, thanks for that link. I might talk to this guy about some chestnut. It's only 2 counties over.

glenn bradley
02-03-2014, 9:00 AM
Take a look at some articles on 'distressing' furniture. I've done a couple of pieces and gotten away with it. This is one of those things where 'just enough' is just right and 'a little too much' pushes the piece into the goofy arena quite quickly. If you don't want the dings and knocked-off corners but, just want an aged look, a dye for primary color followed by a darker glaze rubbed into the nooks and crannies can simulate age without simulating grungy. A satin, clear, top coat seals in your creation.

Jim Rimmer
02-03-2014, 1:04 PM
White oak might work better with the "ebonizing" mixture you describe. Search here or google ebonizing to learn more about it.