PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 15HH mobility

Jim Lillie
02-02-2014, 5:08 PM
I am considering buying Powermatics 15HH planer but I am concerned that it might not be easy enough to move on my carpeted floor. It is an indoor/outdoor carpet over a concrete floor. Would anyone have any idea if this 500lb.+ machine would be mobile? I would have to be able to move it around for it to work in my shop.

Thanks,
Jim

Paul McGaha
02-02-2014, 5:21 PM
Jim,

Powermatic 15 HH planers have built in casters. In my case anyway they're not really very good though. If I had to move mine around very much I probably would have put it on a mobile base.

I don't mean to slam Powermatic as I'm a big fan of their tools.

PHM

Charles Coolidge
02-02-2014, 7:36 PM
I have a 15HH and its annoying to move on smooth concrete because the 4 casters are fixed, they roll forwards or backwards that's it they don't swivel or turn so to turn a corner you basically have to drag the thing sideways on the wheels. On smooth concrete that's not too difficult, on carpet could be a problem never mind wear and tare on the carpet.

Clay Fails
02-02-2014, 8:47 PM
I have a 15HH and its annoying to move on smooth concrete because the 4 casters are fixed, they roll forwards or backwards that's it they don't swivel or turn so to turn a corner you basically have to drag the thing sideways on the wheels. On smooth concrete that's not too difficult, on carpet could be a problem never mind wear and tare on the carpet.

The 15Hh does come with casters, but to be honest, I can't recommend this machine. My DW 735 produced equal or better results.

Robert Maloney
02-02-2014, 9:14 PM
I removed the built in casters and fabricated a custom mobile base for mine. It has to be taken out then put away after each use so mobility is important to me. I really couldn't see the factory casters working on anything but a smooth concrete or wood floor.

Charles Coolidge
02-02-2014, 10:20 PM
The 15Hh does come with casters, but to be honest, I can't recommend this machine. My DW 735 produced equal or better results.

With all due respect that's quite a stretch the two machines are not even close to being in the same class.

Charles Coolidge
02-02-2014, 10:23 PM
As I have just put my 15HH to work recently a couple quick observations. Out of the crate they have the infeed roller spring tension adjusted to tight, I'll have to back it off a bit per the manual as its leaving marks in the wood. The real shocker though, zero snipe none. Every dang planer I have ever owned had snipe problems including the Grizzly version of this planer so I was quite pleased with that.

Andrew Hughes
02-02-2014, 10:32 PM
My Pm snipes, spent too much time trying to adjust it out.Also get a wavy cut on one side.I deal with it because it's just for dimensioning,cranky wood.I don't expect a finish surface.

Jim Lillie
02-03-2014, 7:41 AM
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I was hoping for better news but you all probably saved me a $2900 mistake!

Paul McGaha
02-03-2014, 8:28 AM
I bought mine a few years ago. It was right at Thanksgiving and there was a sale on. If I remember correctly the pricing on mine was about $2200.

I'm satisfied with the way mine planes. The built in mobility kit is just not it's strongest point, in fact it's probably it's weakest point.

Good luck with buying a new planer. Lot's of good choices out there.

PHM

Dennis McDonaugh
02-03-2014, 8:37 AM
With all due respect that's quite a stretch the two machines are not even close to being in the same class.

I had the jet version of that planer and it didn't leave as smooth a finish as my Delta 13" lunch box planer, especially on the 90 setting. I'd dimension the lumber with the Jet, then finish itwith the Delta. Finally I started buying 13/16 straightlined stock and sold the Jet.

Clay Fails
02-03-2014, 4:23 PM
My Pm snipes, spent too much time trying to adjust it out.Also get a wavy cut on one side.I deal with it because it's just for dimensioning,cranky wood.I don't expect a finish surface.

Agreed. I've tried all the adjustments and also can't seem to eliminate snipe. It's an OK planer, but I'm just not that impressed with it for what it costs. Not to flame, Charles, but I really think the DW735 gives more bang for the buck.

Jim Lillie
02-03-2014, 4:35 PM
I am still in the market for a planer in the $2000-3000 price range. I have a 8" Powermatic jointer with the helical head that I am really happy with and that is why I want a planer with the same head. Anyone know of one that would also be mobile enough for me?